PDA

View Full Version : One More Kitty Question Delima?

ratchet22
01-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Another question I have been wondering is:
I have 2 white cats and several multi colored, black and grey cats, ect.
Anyways the 2 white cats came from the same owner, and these two were outside and ferrel kittens when I got them, know they are tame and sweet as ever and glad to be indoors. All my other cats have clean ears, no mites, no wax and no dirt. the 2 white kitties have nasty ears. Black gunk always, I was told by a vet that they are not mites and not wax. So what the heck is it? I cant seem to get them clean, like the others. also on their tails, top of the tail about half way down they both have black dirt that is in the tail, i can wash it and it comes back ect. I have checked all my kitties thinking that all cats had it, that because these two were white they were the only ones I could see it on, but all the others have clean clean ears and clean clean tails. It is only these 2 white cats that have it, and have always had it. Does anyone know what it could be, or have experianced it before and knows what it is and how to get rid of it? It doesnt bother them, but it bothers me. What you would typically see in a dirty cats ears is about the same as what is on the tails.........?

CalliesMom
01-25-2005, 04:24 PM
The only thing I can think the fur dirt might be flea poop. Take the dirt, put it on a white paper towel, and dampen a little. If it turns red, it is flea poop...if not I have no idea what.

As for the ears, my cats had a bout of bacterial overgrowth in their ears a few months back not associated with ear mites or anything. The vet could never figure out what caused it; but I had noticed Whispy had icky ears so I cleaned them. I guess I didn't clean the tip of the ear cleaner well enough because I gave it to Callie and Shadow. :eek: Callie's ears were so bad that she had to be anesthetized and have them cleaned out by the vet. Poor girl's ears hurt so bad. I'm such a horrible Meowmie. Eventually their ears cleared up with medicine.

ratchet22
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Ive never heard of the flea poop test, I doubt it is that, as I have no fleas in my home, they bite me, and I hate that, so I always use flea stuff, but I will check that anyways.

Kristl
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Yep, I'd say flea dirt. Mason had that, it took me a while to figure it out...I thought it was just regular dirt. Happily Mason is now a flea free kitty! Thor too.

Shady
01-25-2005, 05:16 PM
I've heard of a condition called Stud Tail, not sure if it's the same as what you're experiencing, but here's a link, do a google search 'stud tail' and there's plenty to read about it.

http://www.persian-cats.com/health/studtail.shtml

ratchet22
01-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Stud Tail
Stud tail presents itself as a brown, sappy substance at the base of a cat's tail. Sometimes is has a foul odor. It occurs in males (usually due to stress) and is nothing serious. The secretion comes from a gland located at the base of the cat's tail. To treat it, first shave the area. This will allow the skin to breathe better. Wiping the area with alcohol may cause severe pain and burning if the skin is raw. Instead, try one of the many feline shampoos made exclusively for stud tail. They work very well.

that is very interesting. He is a male, and deaf, therefore would cause a little stress for him. But shaving his tail, there is one for ya. But at least i know now its not serious. Just nasty looking. Hummmm. I will do more research on this and see if there are other options for a cure or removal

thanks shady, i think you have nailed this one!
look at this site, explains more detait, which is exactly what it is
http://www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html

thanks

Shady
01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Happy to try to help. :)

catmandu
01-26-2005, 09:05 AM
You might,have to take them,to the Vets,andhave thier ears cleaned,as Princess,and Sam,have this problem,too.

ratchet22
01-26-2005, 02:17 PM
I can get them pretty clean myself, but it seems to last only a few days, Very gross. I plan on giveing levi, the deaf cat a tail bath tonight, to see if I can't get his stud tail cleared up.
here is a pic of him , he always looks dirty , i have a enclosed kennel and he likes to go outside, roll in the dirt, and bring it all in the house,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ratchet22/90e16a8a.jpg