PDA

View Full Version : WHAT??? No crashing headache? Yikes!!

QueenScoopalot
01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20050116/NEWS/101160001
Breckenridge man goes six days with nail in his head

JANE STEBBINS
summit daily news
January 16, 2005

BRECKENRIDGE - Patrick Lawler didn't think much about his toothache and blurry vision until an X-ray revealed a nail imbedded in his head - from an injury he suffered six days earlier.

9News of Denver reported the 23-year-old Breckenridge construction worker was on a job site Jan. 6 when the nail gun he was operating recoiled, striking him in the face. For days, he thought the pain he was suffering was due to that blow.

A dental office X-ray reveals a four-inch nail embedded in the skull of Patrick Lawler. The accident left Lawler with what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision.

The incident wasn't known to many because once he learned he had a nail in his head, Lawler and his wife rushed to Littleton Adventist Hospital, the television station reported.

The chief neurosurgeon there has worked on three similar cases. He reportedly said this was the second such incident where the patient didn't know he had a nail in his head.

The 4-inch-long nail entered Lawler's upper right lip and stopped inside the front of his brain. It missed his right eye by millimeters, the 9News reported.

The X-ray clearly showed the nail stretching from the upper part of his mouth and 1 1/2 inches into his brain.

Surgeons conducted a six-hour surgery, removing the nail through the path it went in. It was possible Lawler could have lost his sight, suffered injury to his brain or even died during the procedure.

According to 9News, the couple plans to frame the X-rays, cat scans and the nail and hang it in their living room.

The Lawlers could not be reached for further comment.

catnapper
01-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Dear lord! How is that possible? Don't you think he'd have felt the nail drive in or noticed a hole?

Edwina's Secretary
01-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I saw this on the news...including the x-ray! Didn't he wonder WHERE the nail went???

QueenScoopalot
01-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Dear lord! How is that possible? Don't you think he'd have felt the nail drive in or noticed a hole?
People usually don't feel pain until they see blood! Strange, but true! :eek: I heard of a guy several years back that was on the job, and had no clue he had nailed his baseball cap to his head, until he went to take it off! :eek:

Kristl
01-25-2005, 09:47 PM
You'd think you'd notice a nail shot into your head. Then again, maybe not... My dad shot a nail through the webbing on his hand between his thumb and forefinger. I can assure you, he noticed!!! He also drilled a hole through his hand, not hitting anything major, thank goodness, and he noticed that one too!:D I think it was a bad power tool day!;) He's usually quite the builder. But, to his credit, he did build the entire barn with only 2 other guys and there was no power tool attacks on that one!:D

micki76
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I saw this on the news...including the x-ray! Didn't he wonder WHERE the nail went???

Me too. LOL, I think I'd wonder WHERE it went, especially if I had pain afterwards!!

RICHARD
01-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kristl
You'd think you'd notice a nail shot into your head. Then again, maybe not...

One caller to a radio station said that he'd need a large amount of black tar heroin not to feel that kind of pain.

The nail gun shot two nails, If you have ever picked up a nail gun it is very heavy and you can shoot two nails at once very easily.

The trigger gets easier to pull as the gun gets older.

Pit Chick
01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
He really hit the nail on the head! :D