PDA

View Full Version : crate training question

lute
01-25-2005, 12:16 PM
how do you get a puppy in a crate to stop barking? since i'll be getting a puppy in a few weeks and she'll be spending a bit of time in a crate i'll want to know how to crate train. we live in an apartment and my dad thinks they can hear the dog barking.

i've never had to crate train my dogs cause we always adopted housebrken adult dogs.

any help would be great.

aly
01-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm going to copy and paste some of one of my other posts about crate training. I am being lazy because I just typed another long post, hehe. Let me know if you have any questions though.

First, make sure the crate is the right size. If the crate is too big, the dog will sometimes potty on one side and sleep on the other so size is an important factor. Be sure the dog can stand up, lay down, and turn around comfortably but not too much more space than that. This helps with the potty training because they are reluctant to potty in their sleeping area. Once a dog is potty trained, extra space is okay though. If her crate is too big for the potty training phase, you can block off part of it with something (upside down laundry basket or something nondestructable - just be sure it won't be ruined by the dog chewing on it).

The crate should be made a positive place and never be used for punishment. It is the dog's "den" and they should always feel comfortable. I keep radios by my crates and play classical music. I also have blankets and toys in the crates (as long as I know the dog isn't destructive and won't rip everything apart. I don't crate my own dogs anymore, but I always crate fosters at first).

You can't expect to buy a crate one day, put the dog in it, and just leave for work and have everything go smoothly. The proper introduction to the crate is a slower one. Certain dogs will take to it much faster than others. I always prefer a slower introduction because that will greatly reduce the stress of the dog when he is left alone in it. I start out by placing treats (usually something GOOD like small cut up hot dog bits) around the crate and saying "check it out!". When the dog is comfortable with that, I throw treats inside the crate and let the dog go get them and walk back out. I leave the door propped open at this point and don't even touch it until the dog seems comfortable inside the crate. When the dog starts lingering on the inside of the crate waiting for more treats to be thrown in, I will give a treat and then close the door VERY briefly without latching it. I open it back up and allow the dog to walk out (no treat for walking OUT). I do this several times until the dog is comfortable with this step. The next step would be luring the dog in with treats and then shutting and actually latching the door shut. Gradually increase the time you leave the dog in. When the dog can stay in there for 1-2 minutes calmly, then start leaving the room for 5 minutes at a time and returning to let the dog back out. Never let the dog out or reprimand the dog if he is whining, pawing the crate door, barking, yelping, etc. If the dog thinks that behavior will get him out of the crate, he will become persistent with it and you'll get a mess on your hands. Also, never give the dog a treat for coming OUT of the crate, only going IN. Coming out of the crate is a reward in itself. If a dog is expecting to get a treat when exiting the crate, he will become overly excited and really want out. The anxiety will build and cause problems because anxiety needs to be released (and usually not in good ways!). The idea is to get him comfortable IN the crate.

When you're working on crate training, pick the dog's favorite few treats and ONLY give these to the dog in the crate, no other time. Crate time should be special and fun!

The dog should be pottied before going into the crate when being left in there for a length of time. When you come home, you should take the dog directly out of the crate and into the backyard (preferrably on leash at first). If he doesn't potty, take him back inside and put him in the crate for 15 minutes. Then try to take him outside again. If he goes potty, then PRAISE and let him back inside the house with free run. His reward for pottying is time outside the crate.

If a dog shows anxiety in a crate, sometimes covering it with a sheet will help. Also the classical music helps.

lute
01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
thanks!:D