PDA

View Full Version : Jen, check these sites out

doolittleky
01-24-2005, 05:46 PM
I have this link on my favorites so i can always find it. I don't know anything about any of these places but it is worth checking into. i do know someone who rescued a FELK+ cat and took it to the Angel wings sanctuary in TN.
Melissa

http://www.felinerescue.net/RESCUES_BY_LOCATION/sn/fiv_felv.htm

doolittleky
01-24-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.felinerescue.net/RESCUES_BY_LOCATION/SPECIAL_NEEDS.htm

doolittleky
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Jen,
I received this email from a person that i found online today. She suggested this. I don't know if I am helping out here or not. I hope so.

These Websites list groups around the country that take special needs cats.

Special-Needs Pets: Resources, Information and Support

Feline Rescue.net Special Needs Rescue in 1st Paragraph, click on Directories of Rescues and there's links to Special Needs groups on the page it takes you to.

You could try calling Lynn Stitt in Harrisburg, PA. "The Best Little Cat House in PA") She may not have room but she may know of other resources. Last I heard, she's a nurse and works nights. Her number is 717 469-2540.

Also, check www.petfinder.com and do a shelter search to see if there are any rescue groups in your area that could point you in the right direction. Check their Petfinder homepages to see what kind of rescue they do before contacting them. Petfinder.com lists about 1,000 animal rescue groups across the USA.

take care,
Eileen

jenluckenbach
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Thank you for the help and the links. We can give it a try.

But we must remember that the cat seems totally feral. So they would be taking in MORE than just an FeLV+ cat.

I am going to be upfront and honest with you all even though I will be jumped on and yelled at without mercy, but the original rescuer wants the cat returned. YES this is unethical because other cats will come in contact with him, but how can I or any one person say our opinions are better than the person who has been caring for this cat for over a year? FeLV as a disease will not become epidemic just from this one cat. The decision is made and unless another solution is found immediately this is what will be done. It is not the decision I would have made, but then again, the decision was not mine to make in the first place.

OK! Start yelling. :rolleyes:

doolittleky
01-24-2005, 07:46 PM
There is no reason for anyone to yell. I know that people are going to have different opinions about things and it is not for me to judge anyone. BTW, I replied to your pm before I saw this. I realize it isn't your decision. I think it is a very very bad idea to return a FELK+ cat who might or might not infect others with this horrible disease. But it is a bad idea for Oreo too. He will if not already needs some kind of medical attention for his disease and if he is returned and him being feral unless the rescuers plans to try and trap him all the time there is no way he will get this medical attention and therefore he will be doomed to suffer from his disease. To me that is very cruel. My suggestion is to see if you can talk to this rescuer and give you a little more time to find a placement for this baby. If you or anyone had more time to search we might find a place where Oreo can be cared for even if he is feral. Can I ask why the rescuer thinks it would be better to return Oreo?
I am willing to email places etc to try and find this baby a placement. But I don't think two days is quite enough time.
Melissa

jenluckenbach
01-24-2005, 07:50 PM
doolittleky, I want you to know that I did not mean that YOU would yell, I just know how people on this borad can become when they don't agree.
I will use your arguments to try to reason with Oreo's rescuer. She probably was not thinking in those terms.

K & L
01-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Thank you for the help and the links. We can give it a try.

But we must remember that the cat seems totally feral. So they would be taking in MORE than just an FeLV+ cat.

I am going to be upfront and honest with you all even though I will be jumped on and yelled at without mercy, but the original rescuer wants the cat returned. YES this is unethical because other cats will come in contact with him, but how can I or any one person say our opinions are better than the person who has been caring for this cat for over a year? FeLV as a disease will not become epidemic just from this one cat. The decision is made and unless another solution is found immediately this is what will be done. It is not the decision I would have made, but then again, the decision was not mine to make in the first place.

OK! Start yelling. :rolleyes:

Jen
It only makes sense to return the cat. The others have already been exposed anyway. Just make sure he's fixed first! We never test our ferals, we just TNR and hope for the best. The only time we test is if we feel the cats are adoptable or we're going to expose them to our own. You've done the best you can, now it's natures turn.

jenluckenbach
01-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by K & L
Jen
It only makes sense to return the cat. The others have already been exposed anyway. Just make sure he's fixed first! We never test our ferals, we just TNR and hope for the best. The only time we test is if we feel the cats are adoptable or we're going to expose them to our own. You've done the best you can, now it's natures turn.
Thanks Lisa, you have a valid point.

But just for the record, I found out this morning that Preo has a place to go. A FeLV household. The lady is VERY full, but agreed to take him.

catmandu
01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Noone should yell,at you Jen,as you have time,after time,gone above,and beyond,the call,of duty,in helping those Poor Cats,and I think,that we,who know,and love you,would never yell,at you! And I think,that you are doing,the right thing,with this Cat.

PayItForward
01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
It is one thing to return an untested cat to a feral colony but it is a different kettle of fish to release a known positive infectious cat to an area where he will infect and kill other local cats.

If the rescuer wants this cat fine but this cat needs to be inside only for the rest of his life OR put to sleep with love, not to be left outside spreading diesease and getting sicker and sicker himself with no chance of survival. :(

With being a double positive, it is very unlikely he will live long than two years max and that is if he ends up living inside with full medical care, this is why are sweet Caramel had to be put to sleep, though he had advance mouth cancer too (my poor baby).

I know this decision is not yours to make but IMO this poor cat needs either a loving inside only home with lots of medical care or to go to the Rainbow Bridge now in order to protect the other local cats from suffering a similar fate. :(

ratchet22
01-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Im new here, but I am putting in my 2 cents. I have several ferrals hanging out in my neighborhood. which came up to me, and seemed to be very happy and very freindly, only later I found out both were sick and were not considered adoptable. They were both put down, and it saddened me. I am not a strong willed person with living things, and knowing they were put down broke my heart, but then i would think about the ones still out there, and wonder how many more are infected, then i worry about my own. They are inside cats, but I have a doggie door and they do go outside to an enclosed kennel. What are the risk of them getting it, what are the risk of many more getting it. I watched these two cats suffer, it was horrible. After seeing all I have, Im not so sure I would release it back outside. My fear would be infecting others, instead of controling the viscous cycle.

jenluckenbach
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
I explained to Oreo's rescuer about his illness and she agreed that euthanasia was kinder than letting him roam, but as luck would have it, a place that accepts FeLV+ cats will be taking him, so no on needs to make that final decision.

But for OTHER people who find themselves in this situation, what would YOU do? Kill a cat that shows no sign of illness just because it can't be returned to the wild? Or return it to live out its life like it would have if no one intervened? There will not always be a place for every positive cat to go to live a comfortable life....HELL, there aren't enough places for the HEALTHY cats to go have a comfortable life.

ratchet22
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
What a hard question, I have a ferrel in my office, he has been here along time, i guess 8 months, anyways I tried to do the tame him and make him love me thing. So at first he did well, so I thought Id let him out and see what happened. Here it is 4 months later and I finally caught him again 2 days ago. So he will be nuetered this sunday, and given a rabies shot. I guess I need to test him. But back to your question, he shows no sign of being sick, and he has been here along time, i guess he would live his life out here, as there would be no way I could put him down. But if anyone is interested, I really want to find him a home here in the DFW texas area, where he can go back outside and live in the country and be a barn cat. Just needs someone to feed him. anyone interested?

doolittleky
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Jen,

I am so happy a placement was found for Oreo. I know you are probably relieved about that. I understand both views on this and it is a hard decision to have to make. It is a decision that any rescuer might eventually have to make and they have to do what they feel is right. I wish there were no homeless or any sick animals but unfortunately there will always be. All anyone can do is help the ones they can and know that the ones they have helped are better off for it. The main thing is to try and help and not sit by and think someone else will do something. And we can pray for the ones that are out there in need of a rescuer. Thanks Jen and everyone else that rescues! You are all angels!

Doo=^..^=