PDA

View Full Version : getting highlights?

Amber
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I've been wanting to get highlights in my hair, and was wondering if anyone here had them done? My mom said she would think about letting me get them done.

Highlights around here cost around $40-$50 bucks, and thats alot to spend for hair so I need to know if you were happy with your results.

How long did the color stay in your hair?

Will the stylist have the color you want?

Were you happy with them?

Did it look natural?

Since i have a light brown hair color I was wanting to get some type of dark blonde highlights in my hair or something. Maybe go even crazier with some crazy hair color! :p

Thanks!

shutterbug0303
01-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Great thinking! I loved having my hair highlighted! I have dark brown hair, so I would put light brown highlights in and it looked great! My only gripe...we did it ourselves to save money and it really did turn out wonderful...until the roots began to grow out (that is when it starts to look stupid so you'll have to dye your whole head back to its original color, continue highlighting forever, or just let them grow out). When they started growing out, my mom redid my hair, but pulled out too many strands from the cap, so almost my whole head was BLONDE!!! :eek: I haven't done it since then (about 3 years now) and have tried to let the color grow out so I'm back to my natural shade. The problem...three years later and I still have a line of light brown about 2 inches from the bottom of my hair...wanna see???

Please ignore how ridiculous I look...just for info puposes! lol Anyway...best of luck! I loved my highlights and actually want to do them again...:D

Amber
01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I think it looks cool!

So, if I get highlights, when the roots grow it will come out weird? hehe, i think I'm lost what your saying.

Kristl
01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
My hairs been highlighted since I was in 8th grade...about 9 years ago...the color is usually permanent...and you do have to keep up with it id you choose a light color...but your roots will blend in much better that if you just dyed it! I love them, all my friends do them...it's just how I've always been. Here it's $70!! Let me find a picture of mine...
I don't know if you can see them, I need to have them touched up! Please excuse my nose...i really hope it's not that big...anyway, this should give you a general idea...my hair is light brown...i did ALOT of blonde highlights!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/pd89cd7eced5d59ff8ebbb3f4639b7322/f5591410.jpg

NoahsMommy
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Highlighting is when you add a lighter color, lowlighting is when you add darker colors.

I tend to get both in my hair, and while its expensive and you do have to keep them up, I love them. :)

Go for it!

Glacier
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Amber
I've been wanting to get highlights in my hair, and was wondering if anyone here had them done? My mom said she would think about letting me get them done.

Highlights around here cost around $40-$50 bucks, and thats alot to spend for hair so I need to know if you were happy with your results.

Did it look natural?

Since i have a light brown hair color I was wanting to get some type of dark blonde highlights in my hair or something. Maybe go even crazier with some crazy hair color! :p

Thanks!

My hair has been every color under the sun. Currently, I have highlights(blonde), lowlights(deep chocolate brown) and a copper red base color, plus a wee bit of my natural shade thrown in. The color is permanent. Stays til it is cut off. Roots have to be touched up every 6-8 weeks. I love 'em!!!! Does it look natural??? Heck, NO!! If I wanted natural, I would have left my boring brown alone! Does it look good? Yup! 50 bucks is CHEAP!! My hair cut and color would cost me 200. Fortunately, my hair stylist is my friend too so she does it all in her basement for 50 bucks and bottle of wine!

jazzcat
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
I've been highlighting my hair for about 5 years, usually blonde hightlights, but about once a year I do it with red and blonde. This was last winter. Excuse the messy hair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/hair.jpg

I'm going this week to get it done either red and blonde again or I'm going to match my roots have it dyed back to my natural brown color with a reddish tint to it. I haven't decided. I'd really like to stop doing anything to it because I'm sick of dealing with roots but unfortunately I'm getting enough gray that doing nothing is no longer an option.

My highlights cost $75 when my hair was long but now that it's short she charges me $60.

micki76
01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Highlighting is when you add a lighter color, lowlighting is when you add darker colors.

I tend to get both in my hair, and while its expensive and you do have to keep them up, I love them. :)

Go for it!

I have both as well. Lately, I've been getting a golden blonde and chocolate brown.

Mine's about $60 now that it's short.

Shelteez2
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
My hair has also been every color under the sun just about.

Recently though I've been getting blonde highlights over my naturally dark brown hair.

Here's a recent pic...
http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL472/2949836/6086191/82535980.jpg

And here is a pic just after I got it done. You can see the color better because my hair is straight in it.

http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL472/2949836/6086191/82536341.jpg

I think my hair would cost around $130 (Canadian) for a cut and color, but my hairdresser and I work out a trade since I groom her dog. :)

Twisterdog
01-25-2005, 08:56 AM
I had bright blonde highlights put in my dark brown hair last year. No, they did not look natural, but they weren't supposed to. I was going for more of the skunk look. ;)

I loved it. Bleached highlights will stay in until you dye over them (which I did a couple months ago) or your hair grows out and you cut them off.

It's fun, go for it.

GraciesMommy
01-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I have been highlighting my hair for years and I pay $75 every 2 1/2 - 3 months..My hair is dark blonde/light brown naturally and I add lighter blonde highlights to it..they wrap my hair in the foil to do it..and takes about 2 hours..total..
it is something you have to keep up with..or you are going to have roots to grow out and it will be noticeable til it all grows off.

catlover4ever
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I have been highlightening for too many years to remember. I highlight by foil as compared to having you hair pulled through a cap.

Foil is a little more expensive but it covers more than a cap and it is much less painful. :eek:

I'm a natural brunette so I like blonde highlights in my hair and I also like a lot of coverage of the color.

What my stylist does is to lighten the hair first and then add a toner to the hair.

Here is what my hair looks like.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p7768c8bc02f77047dd1aa9077c12cb5a/f556ae0c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p84b9abda2da47b2406d67dafefd13f23/f556ae09.jpg

Good luck and let us see the end result if you do highlights. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I used to get highlights too, because I wanted to hide the gray hairs... :rolleyes: ;) . I was VERY satisfied, and it was not that expensive: about 40 €.
But, I had to stop it last year:
1) my hair got so dried out from it
2) I don't care about the grey hair anymore. After all, getting grey hair at my age is quite normal, right ;) ( I am 48,5 )

manda_moo87
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm getting my hair highlighted on Saturday for my Grad pictures. I'll post how it looks after. :)

aly
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Amber

Did it look natural?

I LOVE getting highlights! I don't do it too often because it is verrrry expensive. Usually my mom will get it for me once a year on my birthday or something. I am able to wait that long because I have my hairdresser make them very natural. It works well with my hair to have them more natural looking. I like the looks of the unnatural ones, but it wouldn't work at all with my hair (and I think you'd have to work harder at keeping up with them).

Most stylists will work with you. Tell them what you want and they will do it. I always like to get their opinion as well, since that is what they do for a living. Luckily, I've always agreed with them and had great experiences.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I used to have blonde hair with low lights..

then I had brown hair with highlights (which washed out to be blonde again :( )

and now I have really dark brown hair with blonde and red highlights

:D I looove coloring my hair it is sooooo much fun.... ;)

Toby's my baby
01-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I got highlights on August 30, and my hair has grown out now about 4 inches so it doesnt look the best. They looked great when I first got them. They had a book FULL of different colors and you can pick whichever one you want. Mine only cost $15 at a college. They did screw up on one part (they got a huge stripe right in the middle) but they just highlighted it dark brown in the middle so it looked like two different strips. I really like mine, but once you do it, you have to keep doing it, because else you end up with root problems like mine! :p

Amber
01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks Guys!

I love your hair, for those who posted pictures. Their great!

I hope to get them done soon, hopfullyy next month. :) It sounds fun!

shais_mom
01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
I just started hiliting my hair last spring. But I have been coloring my hair for about 10 years.
It is fun! :)
This last time I got the high and low lights of Red and Blonde. I love it.... I have short hair and it cost me $70 for the 2 colors
You being sort of close to where I am see if there is a Feista around you. I used to steer clear of them but the lady that did my hair from the time I was in elementary school to college works there now so I usually go there. The first time I got it hilited they were running a special that you got 5 hilites for $10 with a cut.
It worked for me b/c my hair is short and the girl actually gave me more then 5 b/c she said it wouldn't look right if she didn't.
It would be a good test to see if you like them.
Is there a Super Walmart near you? There is one in Lima I know I have gotten my hair cut there, maybe price them there?
GOOD luck and can't wait to see the results.

shais_mom
01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
This isn't a recent pic but I think this is where I did it myself or when I colored it red. Can't tell!!!

shais_mom
01-26-2005, 12:33 AM
This isn't recent either but this is where I had hilited it myself also....

shais_mom
01-26-2005, 12:35 AM
And this was when my hair was shorter and I had just colored it red again..... was getting ready to go out that nite......
hence the done up face paint- (pffft I always do that! ;))

Sirrahsim
01-26-2005, 04:54 AM
I have very dark brown hair and LOVED the deep red lowlights that I got put in a couple of years ago. It was fairly expensive, but I can't remember exactly how much. I went to a nice place with my Mom and we had a fun pampering day:) With the lowlights I didn't have to worry about maintenance at all. I have since just let them grow out and I never had an akward racing stripe stage. I have no experience with dying light brown hair though:(

Something that I have discovered from my female friends: getting FOIL highlights done by a professional will most likely give you infinately better results than regular cap highlights, even if the cap highlights are done by a professional. It's a matter of personal taste, but that is my opinion:)