PDA

View Full Version : Camping with a baby!

chrangharris
01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
DH and I have talked about doing some camping this summer with Misha. Any tips on how to make it go smoothly with a baby? Also, how have you guys done the sleeping thing with a baby? Misha has never slept in bed with us so we wouldn't feel comfortable having her share a sleeping bag with us- what other solutions have been done? Thanks!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by chrangharris
Any tips on how to make it go smoothly with a baby?

Get a 40' motorhome like this - camping with or without baby will be a breeze! http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/p40f6516fc073c5c44793ad4e12141988/f928fa18.jpg

:eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :p :D

Ok, so since that more than likely isn't going to happen....

I would suggest getting, at the very least, one of the pop up campers that pull behind a car or truck. You can find them used, for very reasonable prices - less than $5,000.00 for sure - and by the time you buy a tent and everything else that you would need for tenting, you'd probably spend that much anyway. This would also solve the problem of where Misha sleeps. You and DH sleep on one of the pull out sides and Misha sleeps on the table that folds down to a bed - and you can put some sort of board or something up on the one side that would be open so she wouldn't fall out. Of course, once she starts climbing and crawling all over the place, you might have to get a little cage for her to sleep in so she doesn't crawl in with you. ;) (kidding of course) :)

Other than that I have no idea about camping with a baby except that you might want to get a really really big truck or van because besides all the normal camping stuff, and clothes for you and DH, you'll have to haul around a ton of toys, bicycles (or tricycles as the case may be) and all the other baby "necessities" that are required for a weekend away. Plan on bringing extra clothes for her because she will get dirty and fall into unexpected puddles and stuff like that, but that's all part of the fun of camping. I would recommend camping to anyone/everyone - especially families. There is nothing that even comes close the the experience of camping.

Oh, and the only other thing I can think of is if you are totally new at this and starting out with nothing, try and find used stuff. It will be a fraction of the cost of new, and then you can figure out what you like and don't like without wasting a lot of money. We ran across a young couple with about a 10 month old baby one weekend last year. They were camping in the spot next to us. They had went out and bought everything brand new - brand new nice big tent, new camp stove, new sleeping bags, new water bottles that you lay in the sun to heat up so you can take a shower, new everything! By the end of that first weekend they were decided they were going to get a pop up camper or a trailer because tenting just didn't cut it - especially with the baby. They were literally throwing some of this brand new stuff away!! I saw it in the garbage and had we not be a little late getting out, I would have dug throught that garbage and salvaged this perfectly good stuff!! So anyway, my point is, I'm sure there are others out there like this couple who are more than willing to part with their camping gear at a reduced price, you just need to find them - and you'll save yourself a ton of money. Then when you've gone a few times, and are getting the hange of it and figuring out what you need and what you don't need, then you can out and buy new. Also, for the pop ups and trailers and such, they take such a tremendous hit in depreciation the second you drive them off the lot that buying new just isn't worth it. The motorhome in the picture you see above? We got it at about 1/2 price when it was only 3 years old - and it was like brand new! Start your researching now and by the time camping season hits, you should be well prepared.

Sorry for writing a novel (again!) but I love camping (our form of it anyway;) )and I think you'll have a blast camping with Misha, and I just hate to see young people waste money when there's no reason for it. :)

Oh, and after all that....don't forget the camera!!!! :D

caseysmom
01-24-2005, 02:51 PM
We love to camp! I never went when the kids were babies though, how old is your baby? I talk about getting some type of rv and the kids get upset they love the tent!

Kristl
01-24-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm glad Misha doesn't sleep in bed with you guys...in the past 2 or 3 months 4 babies have died from suffocation by sleeping with adults (on a couch and in a bed) in the Peoria-Bloomington IL area. It's scary!

luvofallhorses
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
can you get a portable crib for Misha? my cousin heather has one for her baby girl taisia rae when she spends the nite at our house with her hubby,reno

chrangharris
01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Keep the great replies coming!

Debbie,
We do have some gear as we have gone camping before! Our tent is fairly small though! Are you offering to buy us a pop-up?? ;) That would solve all of our problems! Maybe, I'll hop on ebay and see if I could find a bigger tent used. I could also look in the classifieds and see about finding a used pop-up for a reasonable price. It would be worth the investment if we use it alot!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I found the perfect one!!!

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=21112&SearchMethod=3

Looks like it needs a little renovation, but that's fun for a family too! And....it's an Airstream!! A vintage one no less!

There is an entire contingent of people who own and love their vintage Airstreams. See here for more on that.

http://www.airstream.com/airstreamer/index.html

I see they also have a classified section here, so you could see if this is a good price or not.

Airstreams are so cool! And I just love the vintage ones. Some of these people really get into it, and there are Airstream rallies and everything. What a blast!

Ok, so if an old run down Airstream isn't exactly what you were thinking.....here are some other links to pop ups. Some may be sold, but at least you get an idea. Also, this is a national website and I know it cost something to place an ad here, so you might be able to find some nice ones much cheaper in your local paper.

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=19851&SearchMethod=3

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=22009&SearchMethod=3

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=19390&SearchMethod=3

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=21271&SearchMethod=3

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=20595&SearchMethod=3

This rvonline.com place is great. Terry spends so much time on this site. He could probably tell you about every single one for sale over 40'. :rolleyes:

But like I say, at least this gives you some idea. And I would say that if you plan on doing any amount of camping with Misha and any future babies, the money you spend on a pop up or a trailer will be one of the best investments you could make. :)

Oh, and I wish I could buy you a pop-up. I'd do it in a heartbeat just because I love it so much, but unfortunately we've got vet bills that are growing out of control these days.....:( :rolleyes: :)

chrangharris
01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Wow Debbie! That is a great site! What are some things we should be looking for in a camper? Do you think a pop-up would be best for someone starting out?

caseysmom
01-24-2005, 04:20 PM
This whole camping this snowballs...you start out simple and it adds on...I have been thinking about a pop up tent and then think well I am not sure if my odyssey will pull it...I'll need a big suv....and it goes on and on... Thats how it was with my folks too...we started out in a tent...went to a camper, then a fifth wheel, than a trailor, then a motorhome.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I think pop-ups are great! They fold down and become so compact that, unless you live a an "association" like we do, you should be able to park it either in your driveway or back yard - which is very convenient and saves on the cost of a parking spot somewhere.

I really don't know that much about pop-ups. When we go to RV shows, I always want to check them out but Terry always pulls me away because he'd rather spend the time on the big rigs. But I have made it into a few and they've really come a long way! A lot of them even have small bathrooms in them these days! Of course you have to close the half door and pull a curtain to cover the top part but hey, it's better than running 2 blocks to the campground bathroom in the middle of the night! ;)

They should come with some sort of heater, I think A/C is optional and might increase the cost significantly, most come with some sort of stove. If you don't have A/C 20 amps is probably enough, if you have A/C you're going to need 30 amps. Just look for good quality construction. Of course better quaity is going to cost more, but higher cost doesn't necessarily mean better quality - just like everything in life. I'll see if I can find some RV shows in your area. This is the time of year for them - or outdoor shows. A lot of times they'll have camping and boating shows together in one. These are really nice for research because there are so many manufacturers represented. You can go into each one, talk to the salespeople and really learn a lot. Then when you narrow it down to a few brands, you can start checking the newspapers for used.

Trailers are nice, and they're really family friendly with bunk beds and everything - on the other end of the trailer from the master bed which is nice ;) but I think you're talking more money. Of course, here again you can find good used ones, but I still think pop-ups are a great place to start. I would actually recommend against anytime of motorhome - Class A, Class C, gas or diesel, because they're really not family friendly. Sleeping space is so limited, and then you're really talking about a lot more money too.

As for what makes a good pop-up, I really couldn't tell you, but I can tell you that with the big Class A diesels, usually it's the stuff you can't see - like the chassis and the engine - the significantly increase the cost whereas the interior sometimes impacts the price but not as signficantly. So what does this mean in terms of a pop-up? Make sure it has a good frame and axle and solid construction. You don't want anything that appears flimsy and wimpy because it just won't hold up. I would think good quality canvas would be important too, because you don't want leaks. After you look at a few of them you will be able to tell the differences between flimsy and good quality.

And don't be in a hurry. Don't snap up the first one you look at. Like I say, if you start looking now, you have plenty of time before camping season gets here. I'll pick Terry's brain about this tonight also, but he probably doesn't know much about them either since he's so focused on the big rigs (I sometimes think he wants to go too big!) but I'll see what he says.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
This whole camping this snowballs...you start out simple and it adds on...I have been thinking about a pop up tent and then think well I am not sure if my odyssey will pull it...I'll need a big suv....and it goes on and on... Thats how it was with my folks too...we started out in a tent...went to a camper, then a fifth wheel, than a trailor, then a motorhome.

This is soooo true!!! The only problem with us is we started out with a 40'er and now Terry wants a 42' or 45'! :eek: :eek: There are already places we can't go because we don't fit, and that's only going to be worse if we go bigger! I actually wouldn't mind going a bit smaller, but you know that male ego - bigger is always better....isn't it? ;) :rolleyes: :D

caseysmom
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I live in one of those associations too, that is another reason why I have stuck with a tent....:D

caseysmom
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Your RV is gorgeous you don't need to go bigger! I would love to have one of those.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Your RV is gorgeous you don't need to go bigger! I would love to have one of those.

Thank you. That's what I keep telling Terry. Thank goodness sanity has prevailed....so far. ;)

RICHARD
01-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Our family has always camped with small children in attendance.

We started in a station wagon and tent. The babies and mom got the wagon.

We graduated to a truck and a shell, with a large tent.

Start out with a few over night trips and keep lists of what you might need-think light weight and simple. Sometimes a trip can be cut short by some kind of event that need a fast packing job.
------------------------------------------------------

Camping with a baby goes better when you take along a galvanized tub and a few sun showers. A sun shower is a plastic bag that you fill with water and hang in the sun...great for a baby clean up.

You can rent tow campers and RV's.....that way you can get the feel of driving/towing one.

Aspen and Misty
01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
When we go camping. We rent a Cabin. Most Camp Grounds have them. Our are always One room, One Queen sized bed and 2 bunk beds. It works out great! For people with more money (hey, we had 5 kids!) You can rent "lodges" which have 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and a maybe a living room in them. Most Cabins come with a Airconditioner Too!

After camping in cabins I could never imagine going camping in a tent, where would you put the airconditioner? :D

Ashley

LoudLou
01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Camping is when Room Service is late. ;) :D

caseysmom
01-24-2005, 09:41 PM
The cabins are nice but we like to camp so we can take our dogs...that kind of why we started getting into camping.

Tonya
01-24-2005, 10:03 PM
I took Jaden camping a few times when he was younger. Bring lots of water and baby wipes for clean up and a portable crib. It was not to bad before he could walk, but it was hell when he was 1-2. At that age, they're into everything and there are so many hazards in camping. It wasn't relaxing at all because he was constantly running towards the water or fire, putting sticks and bugs in his mouth, etc.. I won't take Tyler camping until he is at least three.

But then again, I hate camping! Even when we went last year when Jaden was 7, I moaned and complained. :D

Fox-Gal
01-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Our idea of camping is a little different then what everyones talking about here. We are the ruffing it type people, tent, canoe, sleeping bags, charcoal, cooler and flashlights. Throw the chicken in the fire and go enjoy nature till it's done.

But we have camped with babies many of times. It all going to depend on the age of the child and the child's personalty, on how it's going to go.

As to the sleeping in a tent, here's what we did. We got one of those portable cribs in the bag. Worked great and didn't take up that much room. Also sense we went canoing a lot, we learned how to make a baby swing out of the life jackets. With some good rope and 4 jackets, a good tree branch, the baby was ready to swing away. :D

Aspen and Misty
01-24-2005, 10:44 PM
The cabins are nice but we like to camp so we can take our dogs...that kind of why we started getting into camping.

We took Breeze (a Old Foster of ours) and Nova (my current dog) camping in a Cabin. They did fine, they loved it! And boy was it nice to have a safe place to leave them when we were gone! There were locks on the cabin doors and a nice air conditioner inside. I was 100% sure my doggies were safe while we were gone!

Ashley

chrangharris
01-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Debbie- I talked to DH last night about a pop-up- he didn't say no but he didn't say yes! I'll have him convinced to get one- then we just need to start saving up for one! I did talk him into a bigger tent so we could put Misha in the pack 'n play! Bryan's idea of camping is the less gear, the better. He would be happy without a tent, sleeping bag, etc.

Richard- Do you know of any companies that rent out pop-up or trailers? That would also be something to look into. We could try it before we spent the money on it!

Fox-gal- Do you have any pictures of your make-shift baby swing? That is to funny!

Thanks for all the input!

caseysmom
01-25-2005, 10:44 AM
There is also a company here in CA that will take a trailor to your site for you and set it up...its kind of pricey to rent like that though.

I looked into cabins here in CA and I could not find any that would allow dogs...we have one place we stay in with the dogs but thats the only one I found under $250 a night.

Cataholic
01-25-2005, 10:57 AM
FIRST- go to the nearest mental health provider you can find..as not only are YOU nuts to want to camp...he he he...but, taking Misha, too? LOL>> I dread the day Jonah says, "let's sleep outside, Mommy".

Think I can convince him camping is staying at the closest 5 star hotel? Maybe if I build a small fire in the hotel room? That saunas are really geysers? That room service has s'mores?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
FIRST- go to the nearest mental health provider you can find..as not only are YOU nuts to want to camp...he he he...but, taking Misha, too? LOL>> I dread the day Jonah says, "let's sleep outside, Mommy".

Think I can convince him camping is staying at the closest 5 star hotel? Maybe if I build a small fire in the hotel room? That saunas are really geysers? That room service has s'mores?

:D :D Too funny, Johanna. :D :D All you need to do is buy a little pup tent and set it up in the backyard and say Jonah, you're sleeping outside tonight, and no, you can't have one of the kitties out there with you. He'll think it's cool until the first outside noise, then he'll be back in the house so fast you won't even know he was outside for awhile. ;) :D

Chris, I know the places that rent RV's are kind of expensive and they don't rent pop-ups that I know of. You could do a search on Google and you might come up with something, or go to a local dealer and maybe they will know someone if they themselves don't rent.

The fact that Bryan doesn't like packing and unpacking all the gear could be one of your strongest arguments for getting a camper of some sort. You pack it up in spring and mostly everything just stays in the camper until you unpack it in fall! The only thing you need to pack up would be food - which you don't want to leave in the camper while it's parked because it will attract mice - and clothes and any toys or crib for Misha that she uses at home. But even toys you can start leaving some of them in the camper so you have camp toys and home toys. But all the bedding, canisters of gas for camp stoves, and most other gear you just leave in the camper.

Another thing I forgot to point out yesterday that is that most pop-ups are light enough that you don't need to worry about a tow vehicle. Most any car, light pickup or SUV can tow them. If you start looking at trailers, you start talking about more weight and then you're going to get into the thing like Caseysmom mentions. First of all you need a bigger tow vehicle, then you'll decide you need a bigger trailer which will mean you'll need a bigger tow vehicle....and the cycle never ends.

I think since Bryan didn't say no, you just keep doing your research, start pointing out all the points that will appeal to him - like the not having to pack/unpack thing - and before you know it you'll be camping in style! ;) :D

Logan
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by LoudLou
Camping is when Room Service is late. ;) :D

Amen to that!!!!! :D :D :D

I camped with my first husband. First, we did a tent. Then we graduated to a pop-up camper. It was fun until it was time to do dishes or wash my hair. We always ended up in campgrounds that had no electricity, no warm water, no showers. I learned to hate it even more when people started coming along with us, so that the cooking and cleaning for two turned into cooking and cleaning for six or eight. And I had dirty hair! :eek: The "straw that broke the camel's back" was when we had a baby. Helen went on her first camping trip when she was about 8 months old. It was her last one, too. She got sick (it got cold), and I was miserable. I never went again. I never will.

Guess what? Husband #2 loves camping too. We have a pop-up camper also. Have I even stepped my foot in it? NOPE! :o He knew from the beginning that I had no intention of leaving my house and precious pets to camp with him and the kids (5 people in one camper :eek: :eek: ). I did agree to go with just him and the dogs (all four of them) sometime, but somehow that took the intrigue out of it for him. :o

NO CAMPING for me!!! LOL!!!!

Logan

Logan
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Johanna's response brought back a fun memory for me.

My parent's had a "late in life" baby. My brother was 13 years younger than me, the first boy. Our sister was 4 years older than me. Chip and Dad decided to go camping....sorry I can't remember how old Chip was at the time, but I'm thinking around 9 or so. They went to the mountains, set up their tent, built their fire, ate, talked......got cold, so they went to bed. They got colder. Couldn't sleep. Finally, my dad, who has never been a "camper" says, "I make too much money to be this cold and miserable. Let's go find a motel!" First and last camping trip for them!!! LOL!!!!! :D :D

sirrahbed
01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
heehee what a funny thread for me to discover:D Bryan was raised on camping from the time he was a few months old so guess it is in his blood. I also know his idea of camping is sleeping up in the trees, in a hammock or just on a bedroll under the stars!!

When the babies were still nursing age - we kept them with us but we were all used to the communal bed anyway. But, once they were a bit older, the next step was a bigger tent that we could stand up in. I was happier because I had my little porta-potty in a corner and room for a kid in a sleeping bag across from our double-zipped. (it had a baby in it too by then:rolleyes:) Some of the cabin tents also have a privacy flap so you can make it into two rooms. Eventually we added two little "pup" tents for the boys - Missy was in the big tent with us, and set all the tents up in a close circle so that all openings faced inwards and the boys could either share a tent or have their own rooms. Since they usually wanted to share - that third tent was often filled with our extra gear. Later on, the boys were older and camped on their own a bit away from the homesite. Then Missy got one of the pup tents or poptents. Most of our camping trips were fairly close to home and the longest we would camp is a long 4 day weekend.

We always had a "kitchen" on a picnic table - bring dishwash tubs for storage and then to use as wash and rinse. Heat the water on the campstove. Cooler was the fridge, etc. Set up a clothesline between trees. Yes Logan, you can even wash your hair in a dishwashing tub :D Or wear a hat.

For just you guys and Misha - I think a cabin tent would be the minimum to have and she could sleep in the pak-n-play and there should still be an area in between to walk around a bit. I think ours was a two room - 8x12.

We did rent a pop-up once - but did not really care for it and our van had trouble hauling it - but I think it was a 4-cylinder. It also did not feel like "real camping":D

But those days are now past!! Hallelujah. My current idea of camping is Holiday Inn with a Holidome. So, not to worry about inviting Grandma & Grandma along;)

chrangharris
01-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Johanna- To funny! DH knows I will only go camping as long as we have running water- I HATE not having a hot shower in the morning. He grumbles that it is not real camping but I always get my shower!

Debbie- Good idea- all the perks of a pop-up! I'll bring him around eventually!

Mom- An 8x12 should be big enough for us and the pack n play? Are you sure you don't want to join us?

RICHARD
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
LOL,
You may want to look under "RV rentals" in your area....

Driving out to CA to pick up a rental may be a bit too much.;)

http://www.out2rv.com/

Logan
01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Johanna- To funny! DH knows I will only go camping as long as we have running water- I HATE not having a hot shower in the morning. He grumbles that it is not real camping but I always get my shower!

My first husband wouldn't let me drive down to a nearby campground where you could pay to take a shower. I would have been so much happier, and might have learned to enjoy camping! Instead, I got to lean over the "slop sink" at the bathhouse and wash it in cold water, then ride my bicycle down to the visitor's center in the wee hours of the morning and dry it with a hand dryer they had in the women's bathroom. He always liked "roughing" it in the National Park where there was no electricity, no hot water, no shower. I guess I can say there was at least a bath house with a potty!

sirrahbed
01-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Mom- An 8x12 should be big enough for us and the pack n play? Are you sure you don't want to join us?

The pack-n-play is great to have for Misha in the campsite - might be crowded in the tent but is do-able. I would bring it whether she sleeps in it or not. It is somewhere to play while you are cooking, etc. Since she will be crawling well and possibly walking this summer - she'll be in your bed - like it or not unless she was in the playpen-inside the tent....but remember we are aging hippies/earthparents and communal sleeping just made everything more fun ;)

in answer to your questions...
Yes and Yes:D

Corinna
01-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't camp unless it has a hot tub and room service. @ reasons. One my folks camped all the time , my first camp out as a baby my diaper froze to the tent floor. (explain a few things about me?) 2nd when we moved here to montana we live in a tent for 3 months trying to find a house to rent. I Do not camp. If we had a motor home like Peanut and CJ maybe I would.

Tonya
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Johanna's response brought back a fun memory for me.

My parent's had a "late in life" baby. My brother was 13 years younger than me, the first boy. Our sister was 4 years older than me. Chip and Dad decided to go camping....sorry I can't remember how old Chip was at the time, but I'm thinking around 9 or so. They went to the mountains, set up their tent, built their fire, ate, talked......got cold, so they went to bed. They got colder. Couldn't sleep. Finally, my dad, who has never been a "camper" says, "I make too much money to be this cold and miserable. Let's go find a motel!" First and last camping trip for them!!! LOL!!!!! :D :D

LOL. The few times Mike and I have camped, we've went home WAY before planned. The last time, we arrived and were set up around 7pm on a Friday night, and packed up and on our way home by 8 am the next morning.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Corinna
my first camp out as a baby my diaper froze to the tent floor. (explain a few things about me?)

ROTFLMAO! :D :D

When we were young we didn't go camping, we went "Up North" (Up Nort' to be more precise). When my parents were first married they lived in a mobile home. After my brother came along and I was "in the oven" they realized the place was too small so they bought some land in the North Woods of Wisconsin and moved the mobile home up there. That's where we "camped." It was similar to camping because we had no running water, but we did have electricity, a roof over our head and a bed to sleep on - if you count an old army cot as a bed (I hated that thing).

But the funny part of this is - and the reason for this post is - there was no running water so we only had an outhouse. My mom tells me today that I would NOT go to the bathroom in the outhouse! I do remember peeing in the woods, and I remember the outhouse as being all spider webby, dark and creepy and I'm not surprised I wouldn't go in there. My mom said I was usually sick by the time we got home Sunday night because I refused to use the outhouse - just held it all weekend! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

I was there the outhouse "died." It had a big heavy door on it and one day (when I was in my early 20's) I remember opening the door and letting it swing wide, and when it got fully open it was too heavy for the rotten boards that were holding the outhouse up, and the entire thing fell backwards into the woods. We then burned it for fire wood - my sweet revenge. ;) But the outhouse got back at me because it turns out there are new covenants now and if an outhouse is still standing it can still be used, but once it's down you cannot build a new one, so the place has no bathroom anymore. However, now with the motorhome, this isn't a problem. We've got running water, electricity, comfy beds, and all the comforts of home. I do have a really neat picture of the motorhome parked next to the old 50's sytle mobile home, but I don't have it here at work. I'll have to post it from home. :)

Stenograsaurus
01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
You have some good responses here. I have camped frequently every summer for the last five years. (I have three children: Sabrina, 8 on 3/26, Brooke, 2 on 2/14 and Hannah, 5 mos. old on the 29th.) Brooke's first summer camping I walked my butt off. If she would not sleep in the camper I had to walk her in the stroller. My legs were so sore. So bring the stroller. You could also feed her in it so you won't need a stroller and high chair. I also had the play yard/bassinet/changing table all in one. That thing was great.
I would suggest doing a trial run in your yard if that's possible. If not, the first time you camp, camp close by. If Misha is unconsolable, you can always pack up and head home with her. The first summer with Brooke, I had to bring her home and put her in her crib until she was in a deep enough sleep that I could put her back in her carseat and drive back to the campground.
We're going camping this year and I am looking into one of those octogan exercise kennels for dogs to put around the campfire. When we camped with all three kids this fall, it was pretty stressful. I remember Brooke was heading right towards the fire. I was holding Hannah and their daddy was in the camper getting something for Sabrina. I was so scared, I think my heart stopped. Fortunatley I was able to get up and grab her arm and pull her away in time.

Camping with babies can be a challenge but I always live by the saying "Babies join our lives, we don't join theirs." If camping is something you enjoy, introduce Misha to it at a young age and have fun.