PDA

View Full Version : Nebo went to the white coats

wolf_Q
01-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Reguarding this original problem... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67154&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I told myself it it happened again I'd definitely take him to the vet. Well, it happened again earlier last week. He didn't eat much dog for a couple of days then he started with the diarrhea. I ended up taking him to work with me in Tuesday and I had to keep running him outside to potty...even with that he ended up going in the kennel (at work) too. It cleared up in a couple of days and he acts completely fine now.

I took him in on Saturday. He didn't have diarrhea by then but it was the soonest I could get him in with the particular vet that I like. She couldn't find anything wrong with him, but she dewormed him just in case. They also did a complete blood panel but I won't know the results until monday.

Unfortunately I just bought a large bag of dog food :o but if they can't figure out anything else I may try changing dog food. The brand I'm using right now (Natural Balance) makes some formulas for allergies if that's the problem...like a duck and potato and venison and brown rice. Of course it'd be nice to know if it was allergies and what he's allergic to so I could know what kind of treats to buy too....the vet mentioned food allergies but she didn't say if they did testing...

K9karen
01-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Gee, Amy, I hope it's nothing serious. I'm glad you got Nebo to the vet. I'll be thinking of you and praying that everything turns out OK.

Cinder & Smoke
01-24-2005, 12:19 AM
:(

Oh, Poor Nebo & poor Amy!! :(

Originally posted by wolf_Q

... He didn't have diarrhea by then
but it was the soonest I could get him in
with the particular vet that I like.

...the vet mentioned food allergies but
she didn't say if they did testing...

Suggestion if the "runnies" come back...

"MOST" Vets will do a fecal test the SAME day
you bring it in - with or withOUT an appointment.
If you can get a sample when he's having the problem,
and rush it over, she might be able to "spot" something.

Boots (da KAT) had a relapse of the runnies as a kitten...
Fecal test showed "nobody home" in his stuff;
but Doc gave him a DIFFERENT Wormer -
and WhatEver it was - went away!!

Food Alergy testing is hard to do...
it's usually diagnosed by "switching" foods to see
what the reaction is to a different food.

Feel Better, Nebo!! ;)

wolf_Q
01-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Yes she did mention that I should bring in a stool sample if it happens again so I will do that...

zippy-kat
01-24-2005, 12:39 AM
{{Awww, hope you're feeling better Nebo!}}

TrixiesMom
01-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Trix has food allergies.. it's common in her breed and she might outgrow it..

The only way I figured it out with Trix is I switched her food to Nature's Recipe and Lamb & Rice Rollover... we've been 'food-induced' sick-free since December 27th.

I'm with Phred on the fact that there really is no test for it EXCEPT for switching the food.... It's all trial and error..

I'm not sure if Rollover is available in your area, but here is the link to their website (http://www.rolloverpetfood.com/) .. If you wish, I will gladly get a small bag of treats and send them to you to 'test'.. She (and I :) ) likes their chews because they are 100% digestible.

I also like the fact there is no corn (or soy, or meat meal) in their rolls because Tibbies can't have corn or corn derivatives..

micki76
01-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Amy, I hate to suggest it. but have you considered testing him for what Chester & the girls have, Giardia? Apparently, it's very hard to detect and takes repeating the test several times to find it. Chester has had several bouts of "dire rear" in the past few months, which I attributed to the Wellness. Of course, now we know what it was all along.

I hope you find the source of his “dire rear” soon.

wolf_Q
01-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the well wishes!

Trixiesmom, I think rollover is only available in Canada. Nebo has tried it though, Crikit sent me some and I bought some when I was up there and he liked it. Natural balance makes a similar one that I mix into his food sometimes, but I haven't done that for a while.

Yeah Micki the vet did mention Giardia...she said if I brought in a stool sample if he had diarrhea again she'd test for that. He has drank from rivers/lakes up the canyon so it's a possibility.

captain
01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Nebo, sweetheart .......... please feel better soon.

lovemyshiba
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Ok, first off, I hope you do find out what is causing Nebo's problem--no one likes to be sick:( I hope Nebo is feeling better very soon.

Second, Micki--dire-rear---you owe me a new keyboard, because I spit coffee all over mine when I read that:p :p ;)

Hugs to Nebo:)

wolf_Q
01-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Oh I forgot to mention the vet did call me on Monday and the results from his blood tests were completely normal which is great. :)

Dixieland Dancer
01-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Amy,
I go through the same thing with Dusty. If you do switch to Natural Balance allergy formula dog food, use the venison and brown rice. Dusty couldn't stand the duck and potatoe and I ended up throwing part of it away since Dixie wouldn't eat it either. Duck has a very potent taste. Wellness also has allergy formulas as does Eukanuba if you have a hard time finding anything else.

Hope you figure it out soon. We still battle with it.

Candy

anna_66
01-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I had been wondering how Nebo was doing. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better right now and they found nothing wrong with his blood work (makes it hard to understand what's wrong though:confused: ).

Hugs to your sweet boy!