PDA

View Full Version : sick foster puppy...HELP please

caringmissy
01-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I am sooo worried. I foster for both PAWS of Tulsa and my local shelter. Well to make a long story short, I am fostering a momma bassett and her 5 puppies. She had her puppies at the shelter and we lost 2 right in the beginning. She originally had seven. Now they are 4 weeks old and all seemed to be going well until yesterday. One of the pups has quit eating and has lost weight. Also, she is very dehydrated. I have started giving her puppy formula and pedialite. The main problem is, since she is a shelter puppy, I can't take her to just and can't take her to my vet. I can only take her to the vet at the shelter. The shelter is closed on Sunday and Monday. So I won't be able to see the vet until Tuesday. I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on how to keep this little girl going until then.

I hate this feeling of helplessness!!!!!

Melissa

Karen
01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Force-feeding her yummy, high-calorie stuff, and keeping up with the fluids is the only advice I can think of. That, and isolating her from the other pups, just in case. Poorr baby! I'm going to email Aly, one of our members who has fostered lots of pups, see if she has more concerete advice for you. Good luck!