PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here ever heard of

Uniqueviking
01-23-2005, 02:32 AM
... an adult cat changing eye color.

Yes, I'm still worried about Jade, and Kirsten and I just spoke on the phone for almost an hour re. her.

I don't believe it's "just" stress, and will have even more tests done now.

But one thing that has both Kirsten and I baffled is that she's changed eye color. She used to have really yellow eyes and now they're changing to green.

:confused:

Jade, last year - yellow eyes http://www.uniqueviking.com/Jade_x.jpg

Jade this morning (a cell phone picture I took so Kirsten could see). She's lost 2.2 pounds as well.

http://www.uniqueviking.com/Jade_230105.jpg

jenluckenbach
01-23-2005, 05:54 AM
I don't know :confused: But if your insticts say more tests, then PLEASE go ahead with it. Sometimes out insticts are all we have and MANY times they are correct.

catcrazylady
01-23-2005, 05:59 AM
I was going to say the same thing Jen. Follow what your gut is telling you because you know your baby the best. It is really strange, weight loss and now eye color change. I've never heard of that in an adult either. How old is pretty Jade?

K & L
01-23-2005, 06:46 AM
I've read where eye color change and weight loss can be a symptom of liver problems. Please have some tests run and keep us posted.

Kirsten
01-23-2005, 06:47 AM
I think Tenna's Jade is going to be 4 years later this year.

From what Tenna has described to me, she sounds very sick, she even vomited blood this morning (but has eaten Bamboo before, so this might have caused a little injury). But she's often vomiting these days, shedding a lot of fur, and the most alarming thing is a weight loss of 2,2 pounds during the last weeks. She's also extremely close to Tenna now, basically, she does not go from her side at all, always wants close contact or curls up under the duvet.

Her blood tests have been okay (except for an increased level of tryglycerines), so her vet suspected it might be stress-related, but Tenna has just the bad feeling that there's an underlying severe illness. Tenna also says Jade seems to see things that are not there. :(

Another option could be parasites; Jade used to have severe problems with roundworms in the past. She's been found abandoned near a highway and was first suspected to be only a couple of weeks old, but then it turned out she was about 4 months old when she found. She definitely had a very bad start in life!

Kirsten

Kirsten
01-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by K & L
I've read where eye color change and weight loss can be a symptom of liver problems. Please have some tests run and keep us posted.

Her blood has been tested last week for liver and kidney values, and the results were negative (also for FIP and FeLV).

Kirsten

K & L
01-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Her blood has been tested last week for liver and kidney values, and the results were negative (also for FIP and FeLV).

Kirsten

Not to sound grim here but when Hazel's blood results came back they were all pretty much normal and she had kidney cancer. She may need to do further testing like we did. I sure hope it's nothing serious, but with weight loss, vomiting, etc. there's something not quite right.

Uniqueviking
01-23-2005, 09:32 AM
It's ok, because cancer is what Kirsten and I were talking about as well :( ...either a brain tumor or cancer in her digestive system.

She's also been shaking her head like she either has a headache or is dizzy.

How did they discover Hazel's cancer if the blood work was normal, and how is she doing now?

Jade's been pretty much tested for everything, and everything came back fine and normal.

catmandu
01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
We are praying,for Jade,that there uis nothing serious wrong,and that she,will be All Right.

Kirsten
01-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks Gary!

*bump* for K&L to see Tenna's questions...

Kirsten

K & L
01-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Uniqueviking
It's ok, because cancer is what Kirsten and I were talking about as well :( ...either a brain tumor or cancer in her digestive system.

She's also been shaking her head like she either has a headache or is dizzy.

How did they discover Hazel's cancer if the blood work was normal, and how is she doing now?

Jade's been pretty much tested for everything, and everything came back fine and normal.

Weird, but Hazel shook her head also and we thought she had ear-mites. We found her in the street so thought it was very possible. They did treat her for them, but she continued to shake her head. We did a barium xray on her which showed an enlarged kidney. They did an exploratory surgery and removed and tested the enlarged kidney. Results came back positive for cancer, and the aggressive kind. They were unable to remove all the cancer so it's just a matter of time for Hazel. She vomits daily and was losing weight until we started giving her sub-fluids a few times a week. The vomiting will dehydrate them which will cause weight loss. Hazel is now maintaining her weight and has her good and bad days. Until we feel she is suffering and in pain, we will fight the battle. The one thing that came back elevated on her blood work was her pancreas, but not to the point they felt it was dangerous. Everything else came back fine. Weird huh? Good luck and if you have anymore questions please ask.

rg_girlca
01-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I have never heard of this before either, but prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your precious Jade.

Uniqueviking
01-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Thank you!

Jade has me SO confused now. Yesterday it was like she took a turn - in the morning she wanted to play with the laserpointer. She stuffed her little face all day (she's on Hill's PD w/d) and was active and didn't sleep or hide under the duvet all day + she showed interest in the other cats (*BAM* Brynja got smacked, lol).

I'm STILL having more tests done, though. Taking a stool sample to the vet today. Better safe, than sorry!

I told my vet about Hazel and will also have x-rays and an endoscopy made if Jade doesn't start putting on some weight soon, and if the test results of the stool sample don't show anything.

I'm so sorry about Hazel :( Sending her my best wishes!

krazyaboutkatz
01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jade.:( I sure hope that the vet will be able to find out what's wrong with her and hopefully it's treatable. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.