PDA

View Full Version : cockatiels

kellie
10-18-2000, 04:38 PM
I have five cockatiels i think they make great pets. i think they are very cleaver. i have had other pets in the past such as dogs and hamsters. but i think the best pets i have every had are cockatiels.
so if you read
this and your are cockatiel lover let me know about your feathered friends or if you are thinking of getting one. :)

------------------
MRS KLMcLEOD

lhg0962
10-22-2000, 04:10 PM
Do you have any other pets along with your birds? I have always wanted a bird of some sort, but worry since I have dogs and a cat that a bird would be the wrong thing to do. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
Don't birds need to be able to come out of their cages and move about freely?

kellie
10-23-2000, 04:03 PM
I only have cockatiels. I let them out every day for hours.I would`nt recommend birds with cats unless they have been brought up together while they were young (as it would be like the cartoon sylvester and tweedpie) thank you for spending the time to read my letter. I hope i have answered your inquiry.

------------------
MRS KLMcLEOD

HowieDawn
11-18-2000, 09:29 AM
Hi, I have a cockateil and three cats. The cockateil's name is Brooke. Brookie stays out, ontop of her cage all day. And when it starts getting dark, she climbs into the cage because she knows that it is time to go tosleep. But there is one thing...I do not clip her wings. So that if anything happens she can fly away.

HowieDawn
11-18-2000, 09:31 AM
P.S. One of the cats was two years old before I got her and introduced her to my bird. I also have 5 other birds. 3 parakeets and 2 lovebirds.

kellie
11-18-2000, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your reply. how does your cockatiel get on with your other birds. your cockatiel sounds really cleaver does it talk none of my do but one of them is trying to talk which is smokey. i got him given to me as the owner who had him had a dog and the dog pined him to the ground and the owner was frighten that the dog might attack him.he gets on really well with the other birds in fact they get on with each really well. iam thinking of getting another female as i only have one. as last year i sadly lost one she was called lucky and she is very well missed and will always be in my heart. hope to hear from you again.

------------------
MRS KLMcLEOD

HowieDawn
11-19-2000, 01:44 PM
Brooke does not like the other birds at all. I got her from a family that bought her "just for looks" and she sat in her cage without getting out for two years. (I have had her for about 16 months now.) I got her and now she is a totally different bird. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif that's why I let her stay on top of her cage all of the time.
Brooke does not talk. I don't think that anyone ever really payed much attention to her...she just sat in the corner. She can do the wolf call. And whistles Whipporwill wipporwill. lol and a few notes from andy griffith. But she has never even tried to talk.
Brooke does not like my husband at all. She is a cuddle bug with me. I hold her and she will bend her head down for me to scratch it. When my husband walks past her cage, she hisses and acts like she is going to bite him....i get a kick out of it. But I am trying to get her to quit.

HowieDawn
11-19-2000, 01:44 PM
Brooke does not like the other birds at all. I got her from a family that bought her "just for looks" and she sat in her cage without getting out for two years. (I have had her for about 16 months now.) I got her and now she is a totally different bird. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif that's why I let her stay on top of her cage all of the time.
Brooke does not talk. I don't think that anyone ever really payed much attention to her...she just sat in the corner. She can do the wolf call. And whistles Whipporwill wipporwill. lol and a few notes from andy griffith. But she has never even tried to talk.
Brooke does not like my husband at all. She is a cuddle bug with me. I hold her and she will bend her head down for me to scratch it. When my husband walks past her cage, she hisses and acts like she is going to bite him....i get a kick out of it. But I am trying to get her to quit.

------------------
"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

HowieDawn
11-19-2000, 01:45 PM
whoops sorry about the duplicate. I tried to delete one of them and it said, "Sorry, but only forum leaders are permitted to delete posts." http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

kellie
01-15-2001, 05:53 PM
THANKS YOU FOR YOUR NOTE SORRY I HAVE TAKEN LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU. SOME ANIMALS ONLY TAKE TO THE PERSON WHO PAYS THEM MOST NOTICE ITS LIKE ONE OF MY COCKATIELS RYAN HE LIKES TO BE STROKED SO AS HE GETS UP HE WILL LET ME BUT NOT MY HUSBAND. AS I TALKED TO MY BIRDS A LOT MY HUSBAND DOES AS WELL BUT NO AS MUCH AS I DO. AND I ALWAYS LIKE TO SPOIL THEM BY BUYING THEM LOTS OF TREATS.

------------------
MRS KLMcLEOD

AdoreMyDogs
01-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi fellow bird lovers,

I had parakeets when I was a kid, then when I was old enough to work I got my first handfed pied male cockatiel, named TooToo. He was great. What a funny little bird brain he was http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif He had a terrible accident and died, I only had him for 4 years but I will not ever forget him. I then adopted a maroon belly conure male from an abusive situation, he bonded to me instantlly. "Oliver" was my baby, he would even sleep with me sometimes (although I could never truly fall asleep due to my fear of rolling over and crushing him in my sleep). When parrots bond to a person, they are actually "mated" with that person. And they will mate for life, and they are well aware that other humans that come anywhere near their "mate" are a threat, therefore, deserve punishment to the most EXTREME levels!!! Oliver, that little green bird, would actually stalk anyone who got near his cage (except for me of course) and anyone who got near me when he was with me. He gave my family many little triangles, and broke the cartalidge in my moms ear. He was my beloved little boy and I adored him but the rest of my family had many not-so-nice nicknames for him http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Well, my senior year of highschool, I actually considered not going away to college because I loved and needed my animals so much and I could not have any pets in the dorms. I ended up getting accepted to my first choice of schools and could not pass up the golden opportunity so had to say goodbye to all my pets, and sadly, to Oliver. He was so lost without me. He had no quality of life. When I came home on my first break I looked around for a female maroon belly so he'd bond with her, not me. I found a lovely girl for him, I named her Asia. She was gentle and sweet. I knew that once I introduced them, if they truly "hit it off" I would lose Oliver as a pet because he would have no more use for me (other then to give him his food) but I had to do it.

I ended up selling Oliver and Asia to a good friend who specialized in birds, she had lots of them. I visit Oliver about every year, but he's so in love with Asia that he could care less that I was there, in fact, he'd give me one of his famous triangles (the shape that ends up on your skin after he's taken a bite of you) if I got near him or his sweet little wife http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif