PDA

View Full Version : Worried...

catnapper
01-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm a bit worried about my new foster Murphy. He has not eaten anything or drank anything all night (I caged him alone) and he had poop that was pure liquid. I would have thought it was pee if not the brown color all over the blankets and on the windowsill outside the cage (projectile poop?!?!) He seems so languid too.

Any ideas? He was treated for roundworm, and cleared for other things... but it seems they missed something.

Jods
01-22-2005, 07:31 AM
sounds as though the poor little guy needs a trip to the vet... Awhhh give him hugs for me.

kimlovescats
01-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Could be stress, but I don't think it would be that bad ... especially since he was all cuddly last night! Doesn't sound good, he could dehydrate quickly! Call One By One, they need to take care of him asap! Good luck!
:confused:

catnapper
01-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I called them and they got me a vet appt for an hour from now ( right at the same time our blizzard is supposed to start). They had me pinch his scruff and it didn't bounce back so she thinks he's dehydrated.

I gave him wet food and he sniffed but didn't eat. I got a poop sample from Katrina, but not him. I figured if she tests positive for anything he will too. Her poop seems solid, so I don't know.:confused:

He just looks so sad. When he saw Katrina he perked up but she wants to play not cuddle. She has been having a grand old time exploring and avoiding Hissing Harry and Growling Pouncer :rolleyes: They are right that the most recent additions take new additions the hardest. Harry is very upset over the intruders, whereas Poucner is growling, but not as bad as he was when we introduced Harry and Abby.

catcrazylady
01-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Kim that really doesn't sound good. He should at least be drinking something. I would not wait long before I tried to get him to the white coats. Something is not right with that adorable little fellow. Please keep us posted and give him lots and lots of gentle {{{HUGS}}}

OOPS, Kim you posted at the same time I did. I'm glad he's going to the white coats and we will be waiting for the news. I hope the blizzard doesn't hit until everyone is home safe and sound!

catmandu
01-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Hopefully Murphy,only has the runs,and that is something,that the White Coats,can fix,and that he becomes a Happy,Healthy Cat,in his Furr Ever Home!

QueenScoopalot
01-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Are his gums pink, or somewhat white? So glad you're getting him to the vets early. A lot of times coccidea won't show up on the fecal float, so maybe he has that? Hope the vets can fix him up and get him feeling better. Poor baby. :(

catnapper
01-22-2005, 08:32 AM
OMG... his gums are PURE WHITE! :eek: I am sick just thinking how sick he might me :(

Good news is he had poop all over the cage in the past 5 minutes. How do I clean it up and take it to the vet? It is runny liquid all over the blanket. Put the blanket itself into a plastic bag?

Craftlady
01-22-2005, 08:43 AM
:eek on the pure white gums which equals avery sick kitty. Glad your going to vets this a.m.
As for sample the liquid with dry up in the blanket. They will understand because of the diarreha.

QueenScoopalot
01-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
OMG... his gums are PURE WHITE! :eek: I am sick just thinking how sick he might me :(

Good news is he had poop all over the cage in the past 5 minutes. How do I clean it up and take it to the vet? It is runny liquid all over the blanket. Put the blanket itself into a plastic bag?
Poor baby! I'd keep him away from Katrina if possible (though she's no doubt already exposed to what Murphy's fighting). Do your best to bundle up the stool sample. It may be a good idea to get some vitamins with iron from the vet to build the lil' guy's system up. Sending purrayers that he'll be OK. When I've had horribly anemic kittens, (Birdie especially) the vitamins seemed to help him regain strength faster than if he'd had none. ;)

Cataholic
01-22-2005, 08:53 AM
:( Please be well, little kitty. I will be crossing everything here, waiting for an update.

Randi
01-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear Murphy is feeling so bad. :( I hope the vet can give him something to make him better, and your other kitties haven't been exposed to whatever he has.

Sending healing thoughts his way. Please keep up updated.

catcrazylady
01-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Oh my goodness, the poor little boy! :( Prayers are on the way that he can be taken care of and feel better quickly.

kuhio98
01-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Murphy ~ We're sending you good thoughts. Please don't fight the white coats. They will fix you up in no time. Feel better soon!

moosmom
01-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Kim,

I just saw this thread on Murphy. You got some great advice here. He is definitely sick, with his gums white and his skin not bouncing back. I'm glad you're getting him to a vet asap. Please keep us posted.

catnapper
01-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok, ready to be amazed? Little Murphy, who tips the scales at 3 pounds, is actually 5 MONTHS OLD! Thats what Katrina is estimated to be.... so they are possibly littermates! They must have lived in a home for a while because they are so sweet and they have absolutely no fear or reaction towards Nicki. Katrina actually tried to cuddle with Nicki... but since she doesn't trust cats wanted nothing to do with it. Whoever heard of a 100 pound dog being scared of a cat?

He has Camplobacter and I have a pill to give him every day for 8 days. He is also slightly dehydrated, and his gums weren't as white as I thought they were, so I am to give him some Gatoraid, and if he won't take that I am to put some Kyro syrup on his gums for a boost of sugar to get him active enogh to eat on his own. I have baby food too... all to get him up and running again. Poor Baby.

I can't believe he's 5 months old. I wonder if he's just the runt or was always sick with the bacteria that caused him to always have the runs and not grow properly. At any rate, we know what is wrong and will get him all healthy again. Hopefully he'll have a growth spurt.

Now I have to keep an eye on Katrina and my guys for symptoms of the same bacteria. Apparently little Murphy was swarming with them :(

jazzcat
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Oh wow, poor little guy! I'm so glad you were able to take him in Kim. I'm sure you will get him nursed back to health soon. I've never heard of that before.

Fingers crossed that no one else gets sick.

catnapper
01-22-2005, 11:08 AM
When Harry and Abby came to me, they had that same thing (I just spoke to the rescue and confirmed it... I thought the pills looked the same)

It apparently is quite common and very contagious to humans. Mostly comes form chicken that hasn't been cooked properly. Good thing I've been washing my hands and clothes when dealing with him! I have all the blankets he messed in the washer and dryer already. I feel bad as he is on towels until they comes out. With the snow, its quite cold, so I want him to be as comfy and warm as possible in the cage. Poor guy. I feel so bad for him :(

Craftlady
01-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
When Harry and Abby came to me, they had that same thing (I just spoke to the rescue and confirmed it... I thought the pills looked the same)

It apparently is quite common and very contagious to humans. Mostly comes form chicken that hasn't been cooked properly.

Like E-Coli with humans? Maybe they were exposed to raw chicken??? I'd be scrubbing the whole house big time. Hope he feels better and the rest of the gang doesnt get it.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Aww I just saw this thread. POOR MURPHY! I cant believe he is 5 months old. He is so very tiny and fragile looking:( I am so glad that he got to the vet and they are going to make him better. I will be praying for Myrphy, for you, and for your kitties! *HUGS*

rg_girlca
01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Poor sweet little baby Murphy.

Prayers on the way for your whole household.

catcrazylady
01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
OMG!! Five months old?! Possibly Katrina's littermate?! Poor little boy! He has been sick for some time I would bet. Prayers on the way that this gets cleared up quickly and the little guy gets feeling better real soon. Poor thing must be miserable.:(
I hope the rest of the household stays all clear!!

Please give that sweetie lots of {{{HUGS}}} and snuggles, I'm sure he needs them. Then go wash your hands real good!

kimlovescats
01-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Oh poor widdle baby! :( Well, he's going to be just fine in your wonderful care, Kim! Please keep us updated and give him gentle kisses for me!;)

Kirsten
01-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Poor baby!! I have just read this, and I would be worried, too!

I never heard of this bacteria so far, but now I will do some research! I hope he will feel better after that treatment!

Has he been tested for FeLV and FIP before you adopted him? I figure he and Katrina have not been vaccinated before you adopted him?

I hope the little guy will soon recover and the rest of the kitty gang will be alright!

Kirsten

QueenScoopalot
01-22-2005, 03:17 PM
I hope the meds kick in quickly for Murphy. Poor baby must be so uncomfortable. I googled the words feline campylobactor into the search engine, and it sounds horrible! Stomach cramping, lethargy, etc. I've had the stomach flu a few times, and man it is no fun. Do you have acidophillus on hand to replenish his intestines? Bene-Bac is good for helping them regain good intestinal flora as well. Maybe he'd eat some boiled chicken & rice? Nice and bland, and soothing for the bay's sore guts. ;)

catnapper
01-22-2005, 03:26 PM
QSA, you read the menu for tonight or something? ;) We are having spaghetti and meatballs, but hubby is making some boiled chicken for the patient. I did give him some Gatoraid, much to his displeasure, but he HAS perked up a bit since then. I'll take the dropped and put some more in him soon - I was afraid too much too soon would make his tummy hurt worse.

Kirsten, both he and Katrina tested negative.

Kirsten
01-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Kirsten, both he and Katrina tested negative.

I'm relieved to hear that! Just read a bit about campylobacter and it looks like they can cause severe diarrhea when there are too many of them in the bowels. Hopefully the others won't get infected, and I hope the little guy will feel better soon!

Kirsten

Grace
01-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Wondering how Murphy is doing this morning? He's such a cutie-pie.

Christiansmommy
01-23-2005, 08:08 AM
If the gatorade isn't a big hit with him, could you give him some clear pedialyte in his water bowl? It has no flavor, and would help to hydrate him quickly, like gatorade...but it has no flavor, like real water...

Cataholic
01-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Good thinking, CM!!!

Uppiedate, please.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2005, 08:30 AM
How is little Murphy? I can't believe he went through the first vet and they didn't catch this. :( And he ate real well for me the first day he was here, but the day you took them he did not eat, remember. I am so glad that I asked you to watch him and that you were able to get him to the vet ASAP! What a great foster mommy you are! :)
But 5 months old!? :eek: wow, what a shocker. He is SO small. But then again, that is cute too ;)
3 cheers for Kim the foster mommy and hugs and kisses to Murphy the good little patient. OH...And an extra cheer for Grant the hospital cook. :D

QueenScoopalot
01-23-2005, 08:50 AM
There's a lot of tapping feet here, needing an uppy-date! Hope Murphy liked the chef's meal of chicken...he does need nourishment to regain his strength. ;)

catnapper
01-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Sorry so late with the update folks! (I am a sleepy head who hates to get out of bed)

He still refuses to eat. Not the bland meat from last night. Not babyfood, not wet food, not moist cat treats, not ANYTHING. And he has not drank from his waterbowl. Though this morning he was much perkier and demanded to be let out of the cage. I just keep periodically putting the dropper of Gatoraid in him. He HATES it but doesn't seem to hold me against it for it. He has taken to me, and won't let anyone else hold him. (AWWWWWWW) I'll give him another pill soon and hopefully by nighttime he'll be feeling better to eat on his own.

His bottom also looked better this morning. I gave him a nice butt bath last night (which he didn't consider nice) but it was still purrfectly clean this morning and it wasn't as sore looking -- another question: last night I noticed what looked like white bumps (rather like warts) on the sphyncter muscle. Do you think thats just from the irritation? The vet didn't notice it, but then again, he wasn't really looking for it. I just noticed it while bathing him.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I have seen dots like that, but do not know what they are.

I would continue to try to find something that he will eat, but in the mean time, making a liquid slurry that you can eye dropper into his tummy would be a good idea. I foresee a call to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Come on Murphy, I KNOW you know how to eat. We want you to start to feel better SOON!

CalliesMom
01-23-2005, 09:13 AM
:( Poor Murphy! Get better soon baby boy!

catnapper
01-23-2005, 09:29 AM
LOL.... he's currently decided that he LOVES Nicki. He wants to cuddle and snuggle with her SOOOO bad. And she's not having any of it. She'll sit down, he snuggles, she jumps up and runs to another spot, he follows. She keeps looking over her shoulder to see where he is. Doesn't see him so she lays dow. Out of nowhere he comes for a snuggle. LOL... on and on it goes.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2005, 09:34 AM
That Murphy just wants LOVE! He doesn't seem to care from where it comes. Poor Nicki, pestered by a 3 pound baby.

Uniqueviking
01-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Aw, poor little baby. I hope he feels better soon!

QueenScoopalot
01-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Maybe it's time to force feed him some warmed up baby food. The white dots sound to me like his anal glands...they all have them. Are they to the sides of his rectum? That's them if so. ;)

catmandu
01-23-2005, 12:30 PM
The Found Cats,are praying,for Our Pal Murphy,and that you will be well,and get your appetite back,very soon.

catcrazylady
01-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he seems a little perkier but I'm with Jan and think you need to force a few droppers of warmed up baby food. I really think he will feel better once he gets something in his tummy.:) It might come back out but he will get some nourishment from it. He probably won't like that either but you sadly sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Sometimes they find out that it tastes pretty darn good and decide they might like to eat after all. ;) :D
Keep us posted.

catnapper
01-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I put some warmed up kitten food in a dropper that was watered down a little. I had to pry those jaws open to put the first few droppers in. He licked his chops, but still decided he wasn't eating. After the 4th dropper, I guess he figured I was determined to get the food into him so he might as well get it on his own terms, and walked over the the dish and started eating! YIPPIE!

He looked MUCH better and has been out all day, and his bottom is purrfectly dry and looks much better too. I'm going to have to cage him soon though, because the food I put in him is eventually going to need to come back out and I don't want to infect the others.

rg_girlca
01-23-2005, 02:40 PM
YYYYIIIIIPPPPEEEEE wait a go Murphy. Keep eating there little one and get better real soon.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Isn't it amazing how stubborn they can be about trying to eat something new? And it takes so long for them to figure it out that it actually tastes good? Silly kitties. But I am glad that he ate.

krazyaboutkatz
01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm just now reading this thread. Poor baby Murphy.:( I'm so glad to hear that he's eating and feeling much better. Please get well soon little one.:)

QueenScoopalot
01-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Is Murphy still eating? :confused: He's got to replenish that gut of his. ;)

catnapper
01-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Oh goodness... Murphy has totally rebounded... new thread coming up as soon as I edited the videos... yes, ACTION shots of him!