PDA

View Full Version : Do dogs react to music?

Roxydog18
01-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi i'm doing a science project on seeing if dogs react to different types of music. i'd like to know what you think will happen. please reply. i am using pop, rap, rock, classical, and heavy metal music. please tell me what you think will happen.

LuvGold00
01-21-2005, 11:28 PM
My dogs LOVE music, not sure what kind they prefer, but they always have their radio on during the day and some classical music at night! Let us know how your project comes out.

Edit: :D Welcome to Pet Talk! :D

Kristl
01-22-2005, 12:17 AM
I listen to Pantera, country music and '80's hairband rock. Bull sleeps through it all! Let me try something and I'll get back to you!

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-22-2005, 12:42 AM
My Dad sometimes put's a CD on full of piano music and no singing, it calms my dogs right down:) They don't really respond to any other type of music other than the fact that Tango's afraid of heavy metal.

Roxydog18
02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
well i should be starting my experement pretty soon. I'll let you know how it goes. What do you think will happen?

wolfsoul
02-07-2005, 08:52 PM
If you go to Wal-Mart, you will find CDs made for dogs. :)

Cincy'sMom
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
My dog Oreo (who still lives with my parents) used to react to Harry Connick Jr. It was the only one, but she would howl when I played his CD.

Samantha Puppy
02-07-2005, 09:31 PM
My insurance agent's dog, Banner, used to howl at Linda Ronstadt. <shrug>

Suki Wingy
02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Nino is indefferent to any music, exept Mexican folk music. He lived with an elderly Hispanic lady the first 6 to 8 months of his life. When they finally had enough with his puppy behavious, they surrendered him over to the Anti Cruelty Society here in the city. That along with the fact that they kept him strictly off the furnature and in the crate while they ate as well as that they just called him "Nino" (which means a male child) is the only info we know about before he came to live w/ us. The Mexican folk music calms and soothes him.:)

cali
02-07-2005, 09:51 PM
yup yup yup, the music a handler uses for a musical freetyle routine is dependent on the dogs reaction to the music. Blair is working on a freetyle routine to "hamster dance" lol Perky has done mostly vengaboys songs. and Happy likes shania twain and dolly parton, if you play songs by either life just springs to her eyes while any other music she has no reaction whatever.

Bullboxer
02-07-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.thedogdaily.com/animalforum/you_dog/trythis/archive/play_music/index.html

Adopt_One
02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm a DJ and my dog loves it when I spin records. He gets all happy and loves to lie by the giant speakers. He's also tried to jump up on the decks, but that's too much nice equipment for a pup! ;) Anyway - yes - i think dogs react to music. Music is energy and emotion - if they can read our senses, surely they can understand what is conveyed in music.

PJ's Mom
02-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I can't say either of my dogs have ever reacted to music of any kind. (Unless you count the dogs singing Jingle Bells. :D )

ParNone
02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
The only music I've ever seen Murph respond to was Cyndi Lauper singing "Sunny Side of the Street". He went right upto the CD player and was cocking his head from side to side.

Oz and Gully both respond to Opera. They get right upto the CD player or TV and cock their heads.

And Gully is a huge Brady Bunch fan. He just gets so excited whenever they come on the TV and are singing. His favorites seem to be "Keep On Movin'" by them and "Girl" by Davy Jones in the Brady Bunch movie.

Par...

Thandi
02-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Absolutely. The first time Mika heard me practising (viola) she ran from the room. Now she barely tolerates it (hey, I'm not that bad!) She doesn't mind the piano, but my cat (Triskit) walks up and down the keys while kiddo practises, then when he's had enough of his own "music" he curls up on one end of the keyboard until kid is finished. Mika doesn't mind the husband practising (french horn), so it must be something about string instruments! Canned music doesn't have any reaction on any of my animals.

bckrazy
02-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Gonzo likes punk rock.. seriously, he does. He likes the Ramones best because I've played it for him whenever I was gone or when he was going to sleep since I have had him. Its the only kind of music he likes, really.. it totally mellows him out :p

At our boarding/daycare place, they play classical music and most of the dogs like it. good luck with your project!

Dixieland Dancer
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
All my dogs have hated when I practice my clarinet. The love the piano though and always lay by me when I play it. My one golden, Taffey (RB), use to lay practically on my feet so I couldn't play the pedals of the piano!

I think dogs like music pretty much the way people do. Some of it you Love, Some of it you like, some of it don't prefer, and some of it you hate!