PDA

View Full Version : L- Lysine for cats?

kt_luvs_kitties
01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Is L-Lysine really given to cats to help them get over a UTI? Stash had a UTI a while back, and I have noticed he still has "accidents" on clothes, and towels. Could it be the start to another one? I havent noticed him not using the potty, maybe he just likes to pee on things?
Last time I bought him L-Lysine tablets (500 mg) But never used them. Should I do that as a precaution? Any advice on L-Lysine? or what it could be? I am not overly worried, but I just dont know if the L-Lysine is really good for him? Any info? The vet tech told me to use it, but I am kind of scared, because I dont know if it could hurt him, not knowing if it is the start of another UTI. I am just an overly concerned meowmie:rolleyes: . Anyone else ever use it for UTI?

christa
01-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Never had problems with UTI's . . .

But I did give both of mine L-Lysine when Brodie had a URI.

Josie never caught his URI, but the L-Lysine never bothered her either.

I'm sure you'll get better advice than what I could give. ;) Just in my experience, it's a great thing!

rosethecopycat
01-21-2005, 09:12 PM
There is an ingredient in some L- Lysine that is not good for cats.

Wait... I'll look it up.

Make sure it doesn't have propylene-glycol in it.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Thank you for the advice Christa.
Rose- they only ingredients the bottle names are: L-Lysine, Microcrystalline cellulose, and magnesium stearate. I hope that it doesnt contain that and the bottle just not list it!
Thank you for your advice also. :D

QueenScoopalot
01-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
There is an ingredient in some L- Lysine that is not good for cats.

Wait... I'll look it up.

Make sure it doesn't have propylene-glycol in it.
Actually propylene glycol is an additive in many foods etc. It's ethylene glycol which is potentially deadly. L-lysine works very well, but has to be used for quite a while before any noticable effects show. Several foster homes use it for their cats, and kittens, and swear by it for cutting back on upper respiratory outbreaks. ;)

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/ifs/propylene_glycol.asp