PDA

View Full Version : 2006 PT meeting in UK?

dukedogsmom
01-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I saw Slick's note under her name. I would love to plan for this. Of course, I wouldn't have my sweet Duke there but I have always wanted to go to England and this would be a great way to do it! Anyone have any other info?

slick
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Val, it's only in the talking stages right now and it was something that was just brought up a conversation. "Wouldn't it be nice....." I just don't want to let the dream die.

I would love to see ChrisH, Lynne, and Karen so it would be more than just England. We'll see what transpires.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-21-2005, 11:19 AM
We need to find someone who is a travel agent or something, because this would really be something to coordinate seeing as we come from all over this continent - not like we're all in one particular locale to make it easy to find coordinating flights and such. It would be so great if we could all get on the same flight over the big pond to help break up the boredom of the long flight....although I would pity the other passengers....;)

I would absolutely positively love to do this, but I dont' know if I can even consider it since August 2006 is when Terry plans to pull up stakes and hit the road full-time in the motorhome - which means selling everything, preparing my boss for my departure, etc. So I will help with plans and all, and keep my fingers crossed that I can participate, but not making any commitments at this time....

dukedogsmom
01-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Aw, come on! Tell him to sell your things when you get back! All being on the same plane would be a blast! Maybe we can go before August. If we do manage to be on one plane, we must get PT shirts made up. Or if we're not allowed, we can always get Par to make us up something cool at their cafe press site. What fun.

slick
01-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Debbie...it doesn't HAVE to be 2006, I just don't have the money for a 2005 trip like that. Maybe we can work around your schedule. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-22-2005, 12:26 PM
If it is in April for example....fares are much cheaper. They go up May 1 usually.

Kfamr
01-22-2005, 01:10 PM
I wanna go!

wolfsoul
01-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Sounds fun! :) Probably a little too expensive for me, though.

lynnestankard
01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh Goooooody - that's the idea bring Pet Talk to the UK!!!!

With just Chris, Karen and myself - we've got England, Scotland and Wales covered!!!

Lynne

slick
01-25-2005, 06:40 PM
God willing....we'll make it there someday. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Any idea where this meeting would take place? Wouldn't London be great? Maybe that we could participate too then? Well, that's if my health doesn't go downhill to fast...! I would LOve to meet so many PT'ers :) :)

Nobody interested in a meeting in BELGIUM ??? Lots of great hotels nearby my place! we could visit Ghent, Bruges, etc...!

Randi
01-27-2005, 07:10 AM
What a great idea! But yes, where should it be?

How about The Cotswolds as part of it? I'm sure Americans would love it!! I know I do! :)

Here's a few links:

http://www.cotswolds-calling.com/

http://www.cotswoldswebsite.co.uk/

http://www.oxfordshirecotswolds.org/

http://www.the-cotswolds.org/top/english/intro.shtml

http://www.cotswolds.info/

http://www.digital-brilliance.com/hyperg/

Cinder & Smoke
01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... August 2006 is when Terry plans to pull up stakes and
hit the road full-time in the motorhome -

Ya think Terry will get <bored> drivin around the
drop-off loop at the airport - for a week? :confused:

Maybe he could just pull into a couple spots
inna long-term parkin lot.

"Keep da motor runnin ~ Be Rite Back!"

:p

NoahsMommy
01-27-2005, 11:13 AM
My parent's plan was to go to the UK in May, 2007 for the Chelsea Flower Show. Aparently its worth seeing. :)

The plan is to stay half the time in London and the other half in the Cotswalds. I'm part of the trip...yay!

But...They just bought a 1.something million dollar house two weekends ago, so I'm not sure if 2007 is going to be on. We'll see.

I'd love to go to the UK, even more so to meet some wonderful PTers!!! :)

gini
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Phred!:D :D :D

The Cotswolds - you are talking fairytale land!

Start saving those pennies (and dimes and quarters)!

Where there is a will - THERE IS A WAY!

Can you just imagine being together with Lynne, Chris, Karen, Randi and Lut!!! Having some scones and clotted cream together with a nice spot of tea? MMMMM,

dukedogsmom
01-28-2005, 07:36 PM
That would be so much fun! And since it's so far away, it's realistic that a lot of us from the U.S. could be there. I think it's a great plan, no matter where we plan on meeting. I really want to see England, though.

slleipnir
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I wanna go :(

Barbara
01-31-2005, 10:13 AM
I can promise nothing but I would try hard to come:) :) :)

slick
01-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Barbara: If you can't make it, wouldn't it be cool if the rest of us could all meet in the UK, do our visiting, then hop on a plane to Europe? I must buy some lottery tickets soon. Would really love to meet you and the rest of the European crowd.

People, we must keep this dream alive and really try hard to make it happen. :)

gini
02-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Barbara, Slick is on to something. Perhaps if the airfare to Munich is affordable - we could come to visit YOU!

It would be wonderful to meet you. Now we just have to round up Karen, Lynne, Lut and Randi - and look out..............we could have your neighbors talking instead of just mine at the BBQ:D :D

Barbara
02-01-2005, 04:27 AM
There are cheap fares from London to Munich. Easyjet, 30 Euro.

And now something the British may not like to hear: They are part of Europe:D ;)

And of course: everyone is welcome:)

Killearn Kitties
02-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
And now something the British may not like to hear: They are part of Europe:D ;) Barbara!! We're not ALL europhobes, you know! :D :D

My neighbours are used to odd BBQ's. We had our first one of the year last Saturday, so everyone can come to me for a BBQ! I would try very hard to travel to wherever a meeting was going to be, of course, but I'd love folk to be able to come here too!

slick
05-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm just bumping this up because I'm starting to really get serious about this.

I know that Gini and I won't be talking about this until after the July BBQ (I don't even know if she is still interested) but I've never planned a trip abroad before. I'm not sure who else is still interested in making this trip.

Where is everyone located??? I don't know if I'll be doing just UK or planning some quick trips to Europe but I'm getting excited just thinking about it.:) I know that Karen, Chris and Lynne are in UK....who else is?

If it is in April for example....fares are much cheaper. They go up May 1 usually.
April would work OK for me if it's the latter part but I would want to be home for Mother's Day...usually around May 8th or 10th.

ChrisH
05-01-2005, 07:15 PM
slick, here is a link to a map of Europe to give you some idea of where everyone is

http://www.europeetravel.com/maps/europe-map-political.htm

UK - Karen, Jenny, Lynne & me/ Denmark- Randi / Belgium - Lut / Germany - Barbara & Kirsten/ Spain - koxka ... those are all the European PTalkers I can think of right now.

Chris

slick
05-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, thank Chris, that's really helpful.

I can't quite figure out what county you are in but it seems to be Denbighshire.??...although I saw something about CLWYD so I don't know what that stands for. So I'm confused, but I did see Wrexham and it appears to be NOT that far away from Lynne and a bit farther to PIF, so this is sounding quite doable. From there, I (or we, depending on who wants to go with me) can whip up north to see Karen, then think about Europe after that.

....or we could start out in Scotland and work our way down and across the water....oh my, this is really getting me excited.:D :D

I'm also thinking that I can only be away max. 2 weeks so I may be pushing it.

Edit: I absolutely refuse to leave England without having a pint in the Rover's Return on Coronation Street. :) :)

Edwina's Secretary
05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
I am an anglophile and plan on being there! However, I would really prefer not to drive on the "other" side of the road (please note my political correctness in not calling it the wrong side of the road....:D ;) :p )

Randi
05-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I'll definately be there - it's only a 1 hour 45 min. flight for me to London. :D

If you don't know England, I can recommend the Cotswolds - and I love Henley too!

We should go and have tea in Bibury Court one afternoon - a lovely place!
http://www.information-britain.co.uk/showPlace.cfm?Place_ID=1276

Here 's a good map, with aerial views also. Just type in the city you want.

http://www.multimap.com

Edit: Now I'm going all nostalgic .... I've just been looking Burford up (not far from where John's sister lives), another village I love!! Next time I MUST go and have lunch in The Lamb Inn again!

http://www.cotswolds-calling.com/central-cotswolds/burford.htm

slick
05-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the links Randi. :) :)
At this point, I'm just shaking my head saying "how am I going to make this work??" It takes a whole year to save up for LA. Europe is a different story...but I've go to keep the faith! Somehow, I'll get there.

Sara...LOL to be honest, I don't planning on driving at all. I'll be on the #9 train. :D

lbaker
05-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I would love to go as well but could not get that close to Germany without a visit to my relatives. From the East Coast - Icelandic Air usually has the best deals, most with a stopover in Reykjavik. After seeing some of the pictures from young Esster wouldn't be wonderful to spend at least an afternoon there before connecting to our next country. Ahhh, wishful thinking. Although my passport doesn't expire for several more years it was issued just before 9/11 and there may be something else I would need to do before flying internationally. Going in the "off season" would definately makes things easier all around.

carole
05-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh my gosh this is sounding so exciting, and knowing you guy's, where there is a will, there is a way, it will happen, be sure to look up Jenny as well, and see Jen's beloved Annie, maybe Jenluckenbach might beable to go as well.

Remember In April folks, it is rather cold over there....brr....
:) infact it is really cold.....

Randi
05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by carole
Remember In April folks, it is rather cold over there....brr....
:) infact it is really cold.....
No, it's not! :D

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/UKXX0085.html

Freckles
05-02-2005, 03:00 PM
In fact, it's exactly like Portland, RIGHT NOW!:)

slick
05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
ha!!! They are having typical Vancouver weather....for me it will be just like home. Rain??? Bring it on.....

**apologies to California ** ;)

Laurie, pleeze say you can make it!! :)

Carole, don't fret. Soon there may be a 2007 Down Under thread started. :)

dukedogsmom
05-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Are there any dates on this yet?

lbaker
05-04-2005, 06:52 AM
I think the time is down to sometime NOT during high tourist season (or, Summer). Other than that it's wide open for suggestions/opinions. But Val, LA BBQ is right around the corner. Any chance?

slick
05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Are there any dates on this yet?
Val, I'm waiting for the LA BBQ to be overwith and then Gini and I can resume discussions. I'm strongly leaning towards going end of April/beginning of May but it depends on so many other things.

Laurie is right....how about joining us at Gini's this year?? :)

cloverfdx
05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Oh my this sounds exciting :D. I would love to go to Scotland and track down some relatives, *Sigh* i will see what happens in the next few months.

Vio&Juni
05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I would love to go to the UK! I will definitely think about it :)

Barbara
05-04-2005, 11:17 AM
End April/ beginning of May would be purrfect for me:)

Randi
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
As I were looking for something completely different, I just had to look at some places I know in England.

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=bath_cotswolds@227

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=thames_valley@261

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=london@91

These are just a few of the destinations. In either of these links, do take a look at “ Get advice from other travellers” in the left side. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Wow, I really hope this is going to happen!! I would rather advize May over April, as England has about same weather as Belgium, even more wet.

ChrisH
05-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
Wow, I really hope this is going to happen!!
Oh, me too. Lut!! :D

If you do all get here, (*hoping and wishing* :) ) beside visiting England, Scotland and Ireland I hope some of you can fit in a look at my part of the UK too, there some really gorgeous places to see. :)
This site should give you some idea of what they are, check out the link on the left to landscapes ...
Wales - Cymru (http://www.visitwales.co.uk/)
... and the link to the Big Country tourist TV ads. :D

Chris

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-15-2005, 11:35 AM
You live in Wales, Chris? Wow, it is just BEAUTIFUL up there! We visited Wales in 1981! I remember seeing Mount Snowdonia! I also remember we stayed at a bed&breakfast place: we couldn't pronounce the name of it. Also, we stood in front of that house, and even then we didn't recognize the name on our paper on the house :eek: :rolleyes: .

ChrisH
05-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
You live in Wales, Chris? Wow, it is just BEAUTIFUL up there! We visited Wales in 1981! I remember seeing Mount Snowdonia! I also remember we stayed at a bed&breakfast place: we couldn't pronounce the name of it. Also, we stood in front of that house, and even then we didn't recognize the name on our paper on the house :eek: :rolleyes: .
Thanks, Lut! I am so happy that you liked our little corner of the world. :D
As for place names in our language, (Europe's oldest), how about trying to pronounce this, the longest place name in the world ...

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
http://images.wtb.lon.world.net/WTB_GB/original/WTB_GB_3406_image_080105a.jpg
In English it means 'St Mary's (Church) by the white aspen over the whirlpool, and St Tysilio's (Church) by the red cave'.

And before you ask, no, I can't pronounce it either! :D

Chris

Mad Mags Moo
05-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Just found this thread!!! I am in Gloucestershire....and i would love to meet up with anyone on PT!!!!! Count me in!!!!:D

NoahsMommy
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
When I get back from our cruise in June, I'll talk to my mom about the UK in 2006. I know she really, really wants to go to the Chelsea Flower show...but I *think* thats in 2007??

I'd LOVE to attend this!!

carole
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
My relatives tell me the weather has been absolutely awful for May, at least in Scotland, why don't you all go when the weather is better like UK summer, June, July , even August.:)It is alway's nice to see any country at it's best.

Barbara
05-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Summer weather is something rather unpredictable in Western Europe. It CAN rain all the time. There is no guarantee that the June weather is better than the May weather. I have been in England some years ago in May for two weeks and had it all: so much sun I had to buy a sundress and streaming rain.

In the last years however UK weather has sometimes been better than it's reputation. May has the advantage that there is no green than UK green:D

I think the Chelsea Flower Show is yearly. 2005 it will be next week:

Chelsea Flower Show (http://www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/2005/index.asp)

Killearn Kitties
05-20-2005, 05:43 AM
I think the Chelsea Flower Show is usually around the end of May. This year, it is on next week. There is a link to it on the Royal Horticultural Society's website. RHS (http://www.rhs.org.uk/)

Ha! I see Barbara has just posted and anticipated what I was gong to say. June is usually warmer than January here, but there are no guarantees! ;)

I think that May is our nicest month here in Scotland. Everything is green and lovely, gardens are at a beautiful stage with everything sprouting up and blooming all over the place. It is also traditionally one of our driest months. Every day this month I have said to myself "What a beautiful day. If only they were all here this year! Bet it pours next year." Carole, temperatures have certainly been below the seasonal average, but skies have been blue and cloudless (apart from the last 24 hours, when we have had two inches of rain!) So, bring a good thick sweater!

Gardens are not so nice in April, but it can still be dry and warm. The weather is just not predictable here. There is little point in trying to second-guess it, just come when it suits everyone. We are used to dealing with whatever the weather throws at us!

We will cope. :)

finn's mom
05-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I have friends here in South Carolina that are getting ready to move to Scotland this fall. I was hoping to get out there and stay with them and see Scotland, I'd love to be able to coordinate a time and see all of you at the same time! Wow, what a great trip that would be. I can't get my hopes up too high, but, it would be exciting to go! I think this is a great idea. :)

ComedyDevil
01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
*BUMPY*

Who's still interested?!

Vio&Juni
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Let's see... my visa runs out in a week. If I get a free visa (work-related) that includes that period, I'd still like to do it, but it's early to decide.

Killearn Kitties
01-12-2006, 04:33 AM
my visa runs out in a weekwell you had better get here this weekend then! :D

Yes, I'm interested. Did you have anything specific in mind ComedyDevil?

Pawsitive Thinking
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Me interested too

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Me interested too

Me three!!!!
I would prefer closer to London, as we would come by car via "the Chunnel" .
Oh my, Even if I have to take a thousand of painkillers, I want to make it there!!!!

Vio&Juni
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
well you had better get here this weekend then! :D

Oh, I wish!!! :D :D

They might want to send me to a training soon, though.

slleipnir
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Ohh, how I would love to go! Is England far from Scotland? I would love to see scotland....*dreams*

I'm so jealous of everyone who has people close by for all these meetings. I don't think ANYONE lives near me, so I can never have a meeting. If I have money whenever this one is, I'd really like to go. I doubt I'll ever go to an Ohio meeting simply because I'm to nervous to fly with Zeke, and I won't be going without him.

Miss Z
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM

Yep, but be prepared for..... BRITISH WEATHER!!!! We can have anything from glorious summer-type days to about 0 degrees C then, or at least in Lancashire anyway! Where abouts would you want to go? I've been to loads of places around Britain. If you want to see cities and history, go to places like Oxford or London. If you want to see glorious countryside and wildlife, then go to Lancashire (AND SEE ME!!!!! LOL), Yorkshire or Scotland. Wales is nice too. But i suppose that it depends where everyone lives. If you want to know anything about places in Britain, you can pm me, i'll probably have been there:rolleyes: :) but i'll be on PT in patches for the next month or so, so i might not reply that quick;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-22-2006, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't mind a "wet" meeting; Belgium is a wet country too, so I am used to that!! Here we never go anywhere without an umbrella :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Oh please, I surely hope that someone can organize this meeting, I wouldjust LOVE to meet more PT-ers! I can bring tons of my homemade applecake!!

Miss Z
01-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I can bring tons of my homemade applecake!!

Ooo, that sounds nice!!!!:D You should try eating that on top of a hill overlooking Lake Windemere in the Lake District on a sunny day, mmmm, heaven!

Uabassoon
03-18-2006, 01:26 AM
It's been a while since anyone has responded, but it looks like I will be in London the first week of July. It isn't official yet, but we are looking at ticket prices right now. I'm sure that no matter what the weather it will be a nice vacation from the Arizona desert. Usually in July the weather is around 110 F (43.3 C) and no rain in sight.

Killearn Kitties
03-18-2006, 02:15 AM
The only thing we can absolutely guarantee about the weather, is that it won't be 110 degrees. :D

charlestongirl
03-18-2006, 07:32 PM
The military is moving us from South Carolina to England for 4 years starting in August. If there's a Pet Talk Meeting let me know, even though I mostly lurk I'd love to join y'all if possible.
I am nervous about moving there. I'll mostly be excited when my doggies have safely arrived, and I can breathe a sigh of relief.

buttercup132
03-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I'll be going to England when I graduate high school:D It wont be for like 2 maybe 3 years but I'm going maybe another meeting?
Yay I'll be able to meet Miss Z maybe. My granparents go every year to see relatives and they are bringing the grand kids to England to see all the sites and stuff after each of us graduate high school. I have a feeling I'll be staying a extra year to catch up with classes though:o

slick
03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
In 2005, Gini and I were talking about a UK trip at the end of April this year. Sadly, I was not able to get the funds together to make this happen. 2007 maybe?? ;)

Laura, I hope you have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Miss Z
03-19-2006, 02:58 AM
I'll be going to England when I graduate high school:D It wont be for like 2 maybe 3 years but I'm going maybe another meeting?
Yay I'll be able to meet Miss Z maybe. My granparents go every year to see relatives and they are bringing the grand kids to England to see all the sites and stuff after each of us graduate high school. I have a feeling I'll be staying a extra year to catch up with classes though:o

Yay!:D Yes, you could come and see Lancashire, we have some pretty countryside, and in neighbouring Cumbria there is the famous Lake District:) . Touring England is quite easy as we are not that big:rolleyes: I think it only takes five hours or so from my house to London, and that's probably about 2 thirds of the country's length! I'd recommend going to London, there's quite a lot to see and do there, and definitely Oxford, it's a beautifully historic city without the general city fumes and extremely heavy traffic. Cornwall is very popular too, I've never been but the weather is usually better than the weather in Lancashire! If you want to know anything else or have any questions then you can pm me and I'll try to help:)

lbaker
03-19-2006, 06:35 AM
What a community we have!! Everyone is so excited about bringing in and welcoming other PT'ers we have yet to meet. Please note I say "yet to meet", not "never met". This warms my heart :cool:

Alysser
03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I wanna go so bad. I've always wanted to go to England. Zara, think I can stay at your place? :p

Miss Z
03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I wanna go so bad. I've always wanted to go to England. Zara, think I can stay at your place? :p

If I could convince my mum (not easy:rolleyes: :p )!!!

Alysser
03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
If I could convince my mum (not easy:rolleyes: :p )!!!
I can't convince my mom to let me do anything. :rolleyes:

Uabassoon
03-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Alexa and I booked our hostel tonight! I still don't have my plane ticket but we are looking to buy it VERY soon :D We booked the hostel because there was only one private double room left and this hostel just looked perfect for us. It's a youth hostel (ages 18-35) so I'm looking forward to meeting new people from all over.

I'm so excited, I've spent the last two days looking up all the places I want to see.

zoomer
03-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh boy would I love to go to UK and meet all the PT people... but I can't, my parents would have no means to get me an airplane to UK :rolleyes:

Miss Z
03-21-2006, 12:16 PM
All this post about the UK, I would love to come and see a bit more of the USA! So far I've only seen northern Florida, I would love to see the Big Apple!:D And the Grand Canyon would be amazing. We're never satisfied with our home countries are we?! LOL!

Uabassoon, where abouts are you going? I can help you out with places to see if you like, I probably know the area. I hope you have a great time!:D

Uabassoon
03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
My hostel is in Victoria, which from what I see is pretty much central london. I know for sure that I want to go to the London Aquarium and Dali Universe. I also plan on going clubbing! Then doing some very touristy things like riding the big red bus and going to see a show :D But I'll have a week to see things so I'm up for suggestions!

The hostel is also near the tube so it looks like I shouldn't have much trouble getting around.

Lori Jordan
03-21-2006, 12:27 PM
just a quick question is there any meetings in Canada or Ontario?????

Randi
03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I haven't been there myself yet, but I think you should try The London Eye, you have a pretty good view from up there. :)

Also, I think you'd enjoy Neils Yard in Covent Garden - if it still exists. ;)

You must go for a stroll along Kings Rd. Take some time to explore it all, there are really very special shops and cafe's.

The tube is a really good and fast way of getting around - although it's not that cheap to travel in the UK anymore. :( I've heard that the original red buses have all been changed, so they have doors now - what a shame!! It was so nice to be able to hop on and off whenever they stopped. There must be some left!

I'll try to think of more places and sights to see.

Uabassoon
03-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Maybe someone here can help me with this. While I'm there I wouldn't mind taking a day trip to another city. What cities near London make for a good day trip?

Uabassoon
03-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I have a plane ticket! I don't even think I can explain how excited I am, I've wanted to go to London for as long as I can remember. I still can't believe that this is real! I get into London June 28th at 8:00 pm, then I leave London Thurs July 6th at 9:00 am. I celebrated by buying a rain jacket today as I don't own one since it doesn't rain in Arizona!

gini
03-23-2006, 12:51 AM
I can just feel your excitement...........and I am so happy for you.

What a wonderful adventure awaits you.

Randi
03-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Laura, it's just too exiting isn't it! :D I can assure you London is really crowded, so I'm sure you'll enjoy visiting other places as well. :) When you arrive, be sure to get a train, bus and tube plan.

You could take a train to Oxford from Paddington (there's also the Oxford Express (bus), which is considerably cheaper than the train. It stops about 4 places going out of London, at Victoria too). Oxford is a very nice city, and there are little quaint towns around there you would love! Most towns on the Thames are beautiful, especially Henley! You could also hire a boat and simply go along the Thames and stop where ever you want. :D

One cheap way of doing it, is to stay in a Bed & Breakfast. Get a list of those and also, get Time Out! It tells you what's going on for the week.

Here's a link to Time Out and Fodor's, where you can read what other travellers say about the places.

http://www.timeout.com/london/

Scroll down in the left side of this and see what others say:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Hey, I cannot follow here. Is this you planning a visit to London, Uabassoon? When??Or is there a PT meeting being planned too??
I am MOST interested to go!!!!

sasvermont
03-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Very tempting. Who all is going? ;)

Uabassoon
03-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey, I cannot follow here. Is this you planning a visit to London, Uabassoon? When??Or is there a PT meeting being planned too??
I am MOST interested to go!!!!

It's really just me planning a visit to London. However if anyone would like to meet up I'd love to. Alexa and I were planning to visit the London Aquarium and I think that might be a nice spot to meet up.

Killearn Kitties
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Maybe someone here can help me with this. While I'm there I wouldn't mind taking a day trip to another city. What cities near London make for a good day trip?

Glasgow and Edinburgh!!! :D :D However, if you are determined to get back to London every night, then Oxford would probably be my suggestion too. Nothing else comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are others who know the area better than I do. A good website for train tickets is www.thetrainline.co.uk. You can get an idea of journey times etc.

It is now almost definite that I will be in London for a few days during the first week of July. HURRAY HURRAY HURRAY!! So count me in! The London Aquarium sounds a great place to meet up. I've never been before, so it will be good to see it.

Randi
03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I've heard Edinburgh is a really nice city, I'd love to go there one day! :)

Here's a link to Oxford Tube, which is another express bus.
http://www.oxfordtube.com/on_and_off_london.php

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/transport-national/oxford-tube

We used to take Oxford Express though, X90.
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/espress1.shtml

Fares: http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/espress3.shtml

Vio&Juni
03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
I thought Edinburgh was very beautiful, I'll definitely go again to see more of it.

As I love gardens, I took a day trip to Kew to see the Royal Botanical Garden.

There is a lot to see in London, we couldn't see even half of what we wanted - I loved the Tower of London and the British Museum. I would have loved to see the National Gallery too, next time I hope. There is a museum of science (I think that is what it's called) that I heard it is amazing. One of the greatest things was going to see a play with Val Kilmer - The Postman Always Rings Twice - and I was lucky to be in the first row :)

Miss Z
03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
However, if you are determined to get back to London every night, then Oxford would probably be my suggestion too. Nothing else comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are others who know the area better than I do. A good website for train tickets is www.thetrainline.co.uk (http://www.thetrainline.co.uk/). You can get an idea of journey times etc.

Yes, Oxford is beautiful and there's plenty to see and do. In a way, it's sort of similar to London, but it's so much more peaceful and quaint. My Grandma lives in Wolvercote, which is a very pretty village near Oxford, and she knows Oxford very well. If you would like to know anything about it I'm sure I could ask her, she'd probably know!

It would be good if I lived further down south, then I could come to London too and meet PT people, but Lancashire is just too far away!!!!!

Uabassoon
03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
It is now almost definite that I will be in London for a few days during the first week of July. HURRAY HURRAY HURRAY!! So count me in! The London Aquarium sounds a great place to meet up. I've never been before, so it will be good to see it.

Yay! It will be nice to see you again :) I told Alexa today that we might be meeting with you in London, she laughed that I would try to have a pet talk meeting on our vacation :). Hopefully more can join us at the Aquarium.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-25-2006, 07:21 AM
WOW!! I talked to my hubby, and he says that if there is a meeting, we will go!! WOOHOO!!! London would be best, because we would like to go to Cornwall afterwards. But nothing is planned yet!
I WILL MEET MORE PETTALKERS !!!!!!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20999opspringendepoes.gif

Killearn Kitties
03-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Fantastic! The meeting will be in London. From how I read Laura's post, it can be between Sunday 2 July and Wednesday 5 July. The London Aquarium has been suggested as the venue. That is assuming that Laura and Alexa haven't booked any of their other trips on specific days. I'm sure they will let us know.

Let us know when you are likely to arrive once you have looked at flights. :D

slick
03-25-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm so jealous.........wwwwhhhaaaaa.....I.. wanna be there.....

Have fun you guys and don't forget to take lots and lots of pictures. :)

Uabassoon
03-25-2006, 12:10 PM
WOW!! I talked to my hubby, and he says that if there is a meeting, we will go!! WOOHOO!!! London would be best, because we would like to go to Cornwall afterwards. But nothing is planned yet!
I WILL MEET MORE PETTALKERS !!!!!!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20999opspringendepoes.gif

Yay! Lut this is so exciting! I have always wanted to meet you :D

Karen as you stated any time between July 2nd until the 5th would be great for me. I already have a plane ticket and I get there late at night on June 28th but the 29th and 30th are my days to explore the city alone while Alexa is busy with her class and July 1st is Eurpride. I'm leaving early morning on July 6th. So I'll leave it up to you ladies to pick which of those days works best for you!

Corinna
03-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey I'm with Slick Tons of pictures are a most. Man this sounds so much fun.

Uabassoon
03-25-2006, 12:44 PM
It's a shame we can't bring all the kitties! I bet they would LOVE the aquarium :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Let us know when you are likely to arrive once you have looked at flights. :D

No flight needed here :) . We will be coming by car: drive to Calais (France), then board on train WITH car, croos the Channel through the "Chunnel", drive to London . Piece of cake ;) :D
Just one important thing: we have to remember and get used to driving on the left side of the road :eek: . NO problem, we have done this before (In England, Scotland, Wales, and Australia)

Mad Mags Moo
03-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Mmmm.....I may be able to make it down.....but just for part of the day as i have 2 cats at the moment to fuss and pamper....hopefully more!!! Let me know the plans and i will see if i can pop along! London is only 2 or 3 hours away from me on the train! :D

Killearn Kitties
03-27-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm all arranged now, and Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th would suit me to meet. The Tuesday is perhaps better for me, but either is possible. So what suits everyone else? :D

Uabassoon
03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Tuesday the 4th would be good for me.

Mad Mags Moo
03-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Sounds ok to me! I will suss out train times and stuff! May only be able to stay a couple or so hours though but would be great to meet PTers!!! And to meet up again with karen (Killearn Kitties!) :D

Killearn Kitties
03-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Once you get talking Mags, you will be looking for the sleeper back to Stroud! :D :D :D

Mad Mags Moo
03-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Once you get talking Mags, you will be looking for the sleeper back to Stroud! :D :D :D

Cheeky.....don't talk that much!!!! Can't let my furry felines down....they will be expecting dinner and fuss from Auntie Maggie! :D

Uabassoon
04-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Cheeky.....don't talk that much!!!! Can't let my furry felines down....they will be expecting dinner and fuss from Auntie Maggie! :D

You could just bring them with you! I'm sure they will find something yummy to eat at the aquarium :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Okay, tuesday 4th it is for us too then. We will probably come for several days, so we can visit some other places in England too (hi Denise ;) ).
But, what are the plans exactly for that day? Where will we meet? What activitiy will there be? How about a picnic in Hyde Park? We can all bring some goodies!Wait till you've tasted Belgian chocolate :p :p . We know a cute cosy hotel near Lancaster Gate, so that is where we will stay a few nights, I hope

CANNOT wait to meet everybody!! Who is actually coming now??

Uabassoon
04-09-2006, 12:50 PM
CANNOT wait to meet everybody!! Who is actually coming now??

This is so exciting! I'll be there for sure :D I'm looking at a map and it looks like Hyde Park is pretty close to where I am staying. Our Hostel is in Victoria. So far it looks like the plans are a picnic in Hyde Park and a visit to the London Aquarium. Any other suggestions?

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Will you be there too, Denise? And how about our other Europians, like Sonia, Randi, Barbara, Kirsten? :D

Killearn Kitties
04-12-2006, 06:39 AM
As far as a picnic goes, I would just like to point out that 4 July will be during Wimbledon fortnight, so it WILL rain! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-12-2006, 07:22 AM
As far as a picnic goes, I would just like to point out that 4 July will be during Wimbledon fortnight, so it WILL rain! :D

OOPS, it might be a bad idea then for us to come; Belgium is also a "wet" country :eek:

He he, only a disaster can keep me away from our meeting!!!!

Miss Z
04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I wish I could come! It sounds like a lot of fun! I will be thinking of you all enjoying London, whilst I am stuck doing end of year exams! Have a great time all of you:D

Randi
04-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Unless, I'm going somewhere else, I'd love to come! :) It depends on whether I can get Fister booked in a pension, and also, I started in a new job, but I should be able to get a holiday in any case.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Unless, I'm going somewhere else, I'd love to come! :) It depends on whether I can get Fister booked in a pension, and also, I started in a new job, but I should be able to get a holiday in any case.

Woohoo!!!! I am finally going to meet you!! I cannot wait, Randi!

Uabassoon
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM

I really hope you can make it! It would be great to see you again :D

Pawsitive Thinking
04-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Count me in - I'm only a train ride away from Victoria! (booking the day off and going to start saving up now!!)

Killearn Kitties
04-21-2006, 04:57 AM
Ooooooooooo how exciting!!!! :D The more the merrier.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Count me in - I'm only a train ride away from Victoria! (booking the day off and going to start saving up now!!)

YIPPIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uabassoon
05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
This is less than 2 months away! I'm getting excited!

Vio&Juni
05-12-2006, 03:44 PM
My training in the UK is confirmed now, but it's one month earlier :(. I'll be near London early June for a week.

I wish I could come after a month again, since I'll have the valid visa, but I plan a trip to DC in October and I need to start saving some money :)

lbaker
05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
DC!! Your coming HERE :eek: OH BOY! We will definately need to chat before your visit ;)

Vio&Juni
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm planning to come to my friend's wedding. I'd love to meet you :)

Uabassoon
05-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Who is still planning on coming? I know that Lut might not be able to make it anymore. Here's the list of those who have said they might come.

Me
Grybai (Alexa)
Randi
Killearn Kitties
Brody's Mum
Mad Mags Moo
Lut (maybe)

I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Killearn Kitties
05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes, I'll be there. I am in London for a few days anyway, flights and hotel booked. :D

Mad Mags Moo
05-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I hope to be there but depends how many puss cats I have to fuss and pamper and be a personal holiday slave to!!!!! :D

Uabassoon
06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
It's getting close so I just thought I would bump this up!

shihtzulover850
06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
looks like you will all have a great time!!! :D

Killearn Kitties
06-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Is it really only 24 day until you get here??????

As Slick would say, EEEEEEEK!

Uabassoon
06-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Is it really only 24 day until you get here??????

As Slick would say, EEEEEEEK!

Alexa is leaving on Friday, she's starting to get nervous. I'm going to be so bored being alone in the house until I get there!

Killearn Kitties
06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
At least you have lots of furries to keep you company. You'll get lots of PT time in. :D
Tell Alexa, Good Luck! I'm sure she will have a great time.

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Who is still planning on coming? I know that Lut might not be able to make it anymore. .

:( Indeed, there is only a very slight chance that I will be able to come! My hubby is going to Japan at the end of June.He is going to tje headquarters of Toyota in Nagoya. There seems to be a major problem there coming up, so the date for the business trip is absolutely unsure... :eek: :( :(
I want to come so very much!!! So if there is even only a slight chance, I will be there!

Killearn Kitties
06-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I certainly hope you are able to come, Lut. You have been looking forward to it so much, it would be just rotten to miss it! :(

Pawsitive Thinking
06-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Booked day off....in my diary so barring disasters I should be there too!

Randi
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Since I'm probably not making it to the US, I really hope I'll be able to go to London to meet you all! We'll see! :)

Uabassoon
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I've got my backpack and I'm ready for London! Is it June 27th yet?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/June06028.jpg

Vio&Juni
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I am in the UK right now. The weather couldn't be better. I hope you'll get good weather too.

Why couldn't this course be few weeks later. On the other hand, I am seeing Barbara tonight! :) We will meet in London for a dinner :)

Killearn Kitties
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Why couldn't this course be few weeks later. On the other hand, I am seeing Barbara tonight! :) We will meet in London for a dinner :)
Don't forget the photos, ladies! :D Have a lovely evening!

Randi
06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm SO ENVIOUS! Hope you're having a great time together! Tell me ... where do you eat? Where do you stay? Reports please!!! ;)

Uabassoon, that is one huge backpack! :eek: Don't ruin your back! ;)

slick
06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
On the other hand, I am seeing Barbara tonight!
Have a great time...... Barbara, I'll speak to you on the phone when you are at Sara's. ;)

and for all of you.......

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!!! :)

Vio&Juni
06-08-2006, 07:09 AM
We almost forgot about pictures, but I remembered to take one when I was leaving. I will post it when I am back to Chisinau - beg. next week.

I am staying out of London, in Newport Pagnell, Milton Keynes - an hour by train to London, but I will be back to London tomorrow evening for more sightseeing :)

Uabassoon
06-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Alexa is on her way to London now! I dropped her off at the airport shuttle this morning at 4 a.m. It looks like I'm going to be spending lots of time on Pet Talk until I head out there!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/grybai/June06060.jpg

Miss Z
06-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, the weather is brilliant over here right now, even up north, so I'm sure you'll really enjoy yourself here :D

Mad Mags Moo
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Sorry guys......won't be able to make it :( Got to go see another client about a housesit and looking after her old cat...20 years old!!!!!! I will be with you in spirit!! :D

Uabassoon
06-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Sorry guys......won't be able to make it :( Got to go see another client about a housesit and looking after her old cat...20 years old!!!!!! I will be with you in spirit!! :D

I'm sorry you won't be able to make it :( We'll miss you!

Vio&Juni
06-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Finally, here's our picture

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p4f9201d13f5ef8e7dcb31f36b4136fc6/ee74501e.jpg

In that little town where I stayed in England - Newport Pagnell - I went out one night to take some pictures, but I was really looking to see a cat, so I found this cute cat who even let me pet him :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p77b1d522d10fc68e8e78aa03689b49aa/ee744ee9.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p84f0606c3843a2c3589eeb7ada7cb244/ee744de0.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Hello Vio, Hello Barbara, Hello Kitty!

Killearn Kitties
06-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Aww, thank you! I was wondering where that picture was.
Glad the locals were friendly there. :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Do we have any firm arrangements for this great event? Date? Place? Time?

Killearn Kitties
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
OK - I was talking with Laura and said that I would try to find out some places where we could maybe meet for a bite of lunch before going to the aquarium, unless you know any good places in that area yourself?

My "restaurant critic" in London recommends either the Fire Station in Waterloo Road (near the station) or the Gourmet Pizza Co at Gabriel's Wharf, SE1 8SB and SE1 9PP respectively if you want to look them up on streetmap. There are stack of bars along the river as well, but these are a bit further away.

What does everyone think?

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I can just about manage to get myself to Victoria!!

Killearn Kitties
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Excellent! A quick sprint across the river and you're there then! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Haven't sprinted for many a year! Taxi!!!!!!

Uabassoon
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
What's a good time for everyone to meet up? Since we are eating lunch first does everyone want to meet around 11 or 12? Is that too late or early for anyone?

Pawsitive Thinking
06-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Either is fine for me!

Uabassoon
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
LOL I guess we should get this all figured out soon since I'm going to be leaving soon! How does 11 a.m. sound? Karen where is a good place for us to meet up? The Gourmet Pizza Co sounds like a good place to me. Is that's ok with you Brody's Mom?

Now Karen, where is this place? Can I find it on a map?

Killearn Kitties
06-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I liked the sound of the Gourmet Pizza Place too. If you open www.streetmap.co.uk and type SE1 9PP in the postcode bit, then search on it, you will get a map with an arrow pointing to the restaurant. The map also shows the position of the aquarium over at the left hand side. The other place I mentioned is beside Waterloo Station which is on the map as well.

Let me check what time they open, just in case they are not open in the morning.

Uabassoon
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I just looked online they don't open until 12. However that would still be fine with me, give me a little more time to sleep in :)

Randi
06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Have you found any pictures of these two places?

Great map, Karen!

Uabassoon
06-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Here the picture for the Gourmet Pizza Co

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/images/060307_gourmetpizza.jpg

Killearn Kitties
06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
12 is fine for me. Have you checked for any flights, Randi? ;)

Uabassoon
06-20-2006, 10:52 PM
So it looks like the plan is Tuesday July 4th, 12 p.m. at the Gourmet Pizza Co? Is this ok with everyone? Randi does this work for you?

I just want to try to get everything settled before I leave because I'm not sure how often I'll be going online.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Sounds good to me!!! Look forward to meeting you all :D

catland
06-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Have a great time all you UK meeting Pettalkers :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-23-2006, 06:24 AM
I still don't know if we can make it. :( :(

Pawsitive Thinking
06-23-2006, 06:29 AM

Try your bestest!!!!

Killearn Kitties
06-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Hope so! Get Bernard to feign illness for his meeting. ;) :D
I'm hoping you can sign my BBQ apron! :D

Randi
06-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, yesterday I was browsing for flights to London, but .... an hour later, the woman from the Temp. Agency rang and said she has a job for me, starting on monday. I didn't think she'd be that quick, I just finished another job. I will be working at The Ministry of Refugee, Immigration and Integration Affairs until 25th August.

I really would have loved to come, but hopefully another time. :) Anyway, it would probably be near impossible to get Fister booked in a good pension at this time, and also I think John's sister and BIL are in USA.

Hope you'll all have a great time!! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-25-2006, 07:15 AM
SURPRISE!!!

By the end of the week I will know if we will be able to "escape" to London!!
I am busy looking how to book on the Eurostar train (under the Channel), and also for a hotel in London.
We know a pretty little hotel near the Lancaster Gate Underground. I think the name is "Lancaster Court"; but I cannot find it on-line.... . Help ???
We would stay for 2 nights

Uabassoon
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Lut is the the hotel?

http://www.lancaster-court-hotel.co.uk/

I really hope that you can make it!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Lut is the the hotel?

I really hope that you can make it!

Oh my gosh, YES!!! Wow, how did you find it? I tried it for hours on internet ... :o . THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Uabassoon
06-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh my gosh, YES!!! Wow, how did you find it? I tried it for hours on internet ... :o . THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I just typed "Lancaster Court" into google and it was the very first link!

Uabassoon
06-25-2006, 10:33 PM
I still can't believe I'm leaving on Tues! I don't leave until Tues night, so I'm going to spend the entire day a nervous wreck!

Uabassoon
06-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Karen, I know you like to comment that I always look different. So as not to confuse you, here is a picture of me taken two nights ago with my most recent hair cut :D I want to make sure you recognize me!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/Cori1.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
06-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm so envious. Lut....Lancaster Gate is where I like to stay in London. On the same square with Lancaster Court is Lancaster Guard....Don and I spent part of our honeymoon there....Guard (http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/guide/resources/offerlondonguards.html)

There is another on the square I like but I can't find the name....

Killearn Kitties
06-26-2006, 05:21 AM
Karen, I know you like to comment that I always look different. So as not to confuse you, here is a picture of me taken two nights ago with my most recent hair cut :D I want to make sure you recognize me![/IMG]
How thoughtful! I shall print the photograph and take it with me to compare against everyone in the restaurant! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Lets do a head count so we know how many are going!

me # 1

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-26-2006, 10:46 AM
#2 and "3 :"Lut" and "Bernard": MAYBE!!

Uabassoon
06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
#4 Me :)
#5 Alexa

Killearn Kitties
06-27-2006, 04:29 AM
#6 - Me!

Is it OK if Alec comes? It looks as if his meeting on Tuesday may be cancelled. So he would be #7.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
#6 - Me!

Is it OK if Alec comes? It looks as if his meeting on Tuesday may be cancelled. So he would be #7.

the more the merrier!

Uabassoon
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
#6 - Me!

Of course!

Just a few more hours before I hop on the plane!

Killearn Kitties
06-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Just a few more hours before I hop on the plane!
Oh how exciting! Enjoy your first few days, and we will see you on the 4th at 12 noon!!!!! :D

Randi
06-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Have a safe trip across the pond, Laura! Wish I could be there!

Sonia59
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Have great fun everybody, and don't forget to post many pics for those who can not be here ;)

Barbara
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
:D I think, I think, I think .....I could be # 8. I'm in London and although I have to be back at the office after lunch.... I think I can make it. :D

Killearn Kitties
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
HURRAY HURRAY!! This is such great news, Barbara, and will be such a surprise for Laura if she doesn't get to log on before Tuesday. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-30-2006, 04:46 AM
I have another surprise for Laura!! WE ARE COMING TOO !!!!
We will be leaving Sunday afternoon, and arrive in London by TGV in the evening. We will stay in London untill Wednesday afternoon!

Woohoo, London here we come!!!!http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies1003waggelende%20poezekontjes.gif

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2006, 04:52 AM
YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Getting ready here! Tomorrow afternoon, we will be taking the TGV (fast train) in Brussels; we will arrive in London at about 5 pm :)
I cannot wait!!!

question: does anybody have any idea about which hotel Uabassoon will be staying at? She is there already, isn't she?

ChrisH
07-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Just for you Lut, from earlier in the thead. :D

Alexa and I booked our hostel tonight! I still don't have my plane ticket but we are looking to buy it VERY soon :D We booked the hostel because there was only one private double room left and this hostel just looked perfect for us. It's a youth hostel (ages 18-35) so I'm looking forward to meeting new people from all over.

My hostel is in Victoria, which from what I see is pretty much central london.
The hostel is also near the tube so it looks like I shouldn't have much trouble getting around.

Randi
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I found a site with photos of every shop/caf in certain streets in London, so if you're going to meet up in any of these places, you can see what's there, and will know you're on the right track. :) Just click on the street names you want to see.

http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/

There are a few webcams in London, here's one in Covent Garden - let us know when you're there! ;) And remember to wave!! :D

http://www.earthcam.com/uk/england/london/

And one more: http://www.camvista.com/

PS. Check out Frith St. I think you'll like it.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-01-2006, 11:51 AM
PS. Also, check out Frith St. I think you'll like it.

Oh, thanks for those links, Randi!! I had a look at Frith Street, and I discovered an Indian Restaurant!! That is one of our plans in London, eat Indian food!!

Randi
07-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention Cafe Emm - also in Frith St. We went there for lunch a few years back, it's a nice place with good food, and not expensive. :)

For those of you who can get online, you can talk here: http://www.icq.com/groups/chat.php?gid=12035605

You don't have to join, just log on as a guest, but say who you are. ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Hubby has to work in Brighton all day and daughter has induction day at her new college so it is unlikely that I will be able to join you all after all as there will be no one around to look after the dogs :(

I can't tell you how fed up I am about this - I have been looking forward to it for ages :(

Hope you all have a great time and look forward to seeing the piccies

Fed Up of Eastbourne

Uabassoon
07-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone! I'm here in London :) It's been a great trip so far, it started out a little on the bad side. I arrived on Wed, but my luggage didn't arrive until Friday! Other than that I've really enjoyed the trip, I've walked all over London and seen lots of museums as well as other sights. Yesterday we were walking down Gabriel's Warf and we found the pizza place that we are going to meet up at. I'm very excited about seeing everyone tomorrow.

Brody'sMum I'm so sorry that you won't be making it tomorrow, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Lut and Barbara I'm so excited that both of you will be able to make it! It's going to be wonderful meeting the both of you.

Lut, I'm staying at the Astor's Victoria.

I'll see you all soon!

Edwina's Secretary
07-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello London! Are you guys still out partying? I keep checking all day and ....?????

Barbara
07-05-2006, 02:58 AM
I went over to lunch at Gabriel's wharf yesterday. Unfortunately I had to be back at the office after that- so I could not join Laura, Alexa, Karen, Alec, Lut and Bernard for the aquarium visit. :(
It was lovely weather and we were sitting close at the Thames. As it was lunch time we did NOT have slushies but we were sharing a lot of kitty talk (sorry Alexa ;)- doggie talk as well).

I had no camera with me but pics were taken and I am sure they will be posted as soon as everyone is home- but I think the Scots and the Belgian will stay in sunny London for some more days ;)

Killearn Kitties
07-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Hello, hello! I am still in London, but right now it is raining! :eek: Laura will be so furious if they did decide to go to Paris for the day! Perhaps she can get her money back on that rainjacket when she gets back home. :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Did you all have a great time? Still :( I couldn't make it in the end but the dogs were pleased to see me :rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
BACK HOME !!!!

I am exhausted, it was soooo hot and humid in London.... . BUT....
we had a great time!! Of course the PT-meeting was top of the bill :)
We found the Gabriel's Warf very easily; of course :rolleyes: , a place with a name like that.... ;) (Gabriel's Warf--> family Gabriels). I spotted Laura and Alexa who were waiting on a bench in front of the restaurant. Woohoo, that was fun recognizing them!! The next one to arrive was Karen with her hubby Alec. Woohoo, fun again!! After some welcoming (=hugging :D ); we went inside to have lunch. And..... who arived then???? Our Barbara!! Woohoo!!!
We had a vivid conversation during lunch. Of course, lots of the talking was about our pets. I think I really talked to much, but I couldn't help myself ;)
I was so disappointed that Denise (Brody's Mom) couldn't make it.... :( . As I couldn't open the pm she send me, I did NOT know she wouldn't be there untill Laura told me :( .
I took a billion of pics, and I promise to post some asap; that will be tomorrow I hope, because right now I am sooooooooo tired!!

This was a great meeting!! :)

here is 1 teaser pic
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt1.jpg

Sonia59
07-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey, the first pics are coming! Great, but what, only one pic :confused: I think we have to wait a bit more. It seems you had great time! A restaurant table full of PT'ers talking, talking and talking again, I am sure we missed something :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2006, 09:14 AM
It seems you had great time! A restaurant table full of PT'ers talking, talking and talking again, I am sure we missed something :D

We talked and talked and talked; I even forgat to eat :rolleyes:
Lots of laughter too when I described how my Inka walks like a real catwalk professionl: shaking her butt from left to right :p :p :p
More pics will follow , but please have some patience, okay :D

here are 2 more pics:
outside the restaurant, before Barbara left us
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt2.jpg

at the beautiful aquarium:
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt3.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
07-06-2006, 09:22 AM
sounds exactly how I thought it would be :( the fish are stunning!

Karen
07-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, thanks for sharing *some* pictures - more please! ;) Glad everyone got to meet up, and looks like you all had a good time!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I made two great videos at the aquarium! I hope you can open them. Yjat shark was HUGE!!!!

gini
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
I am just flat out JEALOUS! It's clear to see that you all were having a wonderful time. Ah, it's a small world afterall!! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Oh wow! what fabulous colours!!! More piccies.......................

Killearn Kitties
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the pictures!! :D I brought my camera to download my photos, but not the cord that connects it to the PC! Grrrrr ....

That fishy picture has come out beautifully, Lut. I hope mine look as good once we download them.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Finally, here are my pictures! I selected 22 of them.
Hope you all love them too!

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt4.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt15.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt16.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt11.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt12.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt13.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt14.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt10.jpg

more coming!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
At the London Aquarium! Our Barbara was gone back to her office then

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt17.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt18.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt20.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt21.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt22.jpg http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt23.jpg

We were allowed to "pet" the fish here! I was to scared, but Laura and Alexa did it! Karen tried it too, but I am not sure if she really touched that stingray??Tell us, Karen ;)
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt9.jpg

more coming!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
After saying goodbye and lots of cuddling, Alexa and Laura left too. So we strolled along the riverbank together with Karen & Alec, having some drinks. It was VERY hot, so water was the most appropriate beverage!

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt5.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt6.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt7.jpg

see: only water!!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/pt8.jpg

That's it! This PT-meeting was wonderful; it was as if we knew each other for years!!! Thank you Laura, for starting this!!

Karen
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Yay! More pictures! I am so glad you all had a good time!

Barbara
07-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Great pictures :D I'm so sorry I couldn't go and see and see the fishies with you :)

Randi
07-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Great pictures, Lut! Thanks for posting so soon. It looks like you had a wonderful time together. :) That first fish looks beautiful!

Your lunch looks yummy, Barbara.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Looks like I missed a great day - darn those pesky dogs of mine!!!

Bet its lovely to actually get to know the people behind the names - so glad it was a success (have to arrange another one..................)

Killearn Kitties
07-07-2006, 04:43 AM
Why are my eyes shut in all these pictures? :D Was it really that bright?

cloverfdx
07-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Lovely photos Lut :D. Looks as though everyone had a lovely time.. i am jealous :p.

petslover
07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Looks like you all had a wonderful time together.

Uabassoon
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone! I made it home in one piece! The trip was great except for my last night there. After Alexa and I had finished packing we decided to go downstairs to check our email. During the 15 minutes we were gone someone broke into our room. Alexa's cell phone was taken as well as my ipod and my brand new camera. We'd been so good about keeping our valuables with us, but we didn't think that in the time it took to check our email our stuff would be stolen. I'm so hurt that I lost all of my pictures, 200 pictures gone! I have no pictures of me and Alexa together :( I want to cry just thinking about it. Pictures of us, europride, the city, the meeting, museums.. everything is gone :( At least we are safe, they didn't take my passport or the package that Karen had given me. I'm mainly just sad about my photos, I still want to cry when I think about it.

I'm very happy to be home but it was hard leaving Alexa yesterday morning she was so sad about everything and was also feeling homesick. Lut if it's possible (as well as anyone else that took pictures) if you still have the uncropped versions of the pictures can you please email them to me, just so that I can have something.

Lut by the way thanks for posting those pictures! I really had a fun time meeting everyone, it was also fun to spend part of the trip with people who I "knew".

Killearn Kitties
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh Laura, that is terrible news. :( I am so so sorry that happened. I know how awful it feels to lose photos and that is what hurts more than anything, the sentimental, irreplaceable stuff. I don't have a load of pictures, but I will send you what I have.

I'm glad that you are home safely.

gini
07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh Laura, what a shame...........it is almost as though we have to tote our valuable stuff around with us all of the time - to avoid the thieves.

At least others will have pictures to share with you - so at least you will have something as a happy reminder of your trip.

This loss will fade - and only the happy memories of the trip will remain.

Randi
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Laura, I'm SO sorry you had your things stolen. :( Especially the camera - pictures from a trip like that can never be replaced. :( It's terrible!! Did you talk to the police? I really really hope you'll get your card back at least!

However, I'm glad you made it home in one piece - I bet you keep in contact with Alexa. If Alexa need a friend to talk to, let me know. I have a danish girlfriend who lives in North London, she has two dogs and beautiul cat! Just PM me and I'll give you her no.

(((hugs)))

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Lut if it's possible (as well as anyone else that took pictures) if you still have the uncropped versions of the pictures can you please email them to me, just so that I can have something.

Lut by the way thanks for posting those pictures! I really had a fun time meeting everyone, it was also fun to spend part of the trip with people who I "knew".

Of COURSE I will send you my pics. Just send me your e-mail-address! The pics I posted are all resized to 400x300 pixels; the originals are 2848 x 2136 pixels. What size is best for you? Of course the resized ones are easier and much faster for sending by e-mail! By "uncropped version", do you mean that oval pic?

Barbara
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh Laura, that's too bad!!!! What a pity that this nice trip had such a bad end.
However I'm glad you made it back safe and sound and I'm sure the kitties were happy to have you back.
I was glad to meet you and Alexa :)
And- memories are even better than pictures :)

slick
07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm just now catching up on this thread. All the pictures posted are fantastic.

Laura, that just sucks. :( I remember when I visited London in 1975 and stayed in a youth hostel...you had to take all your valuables with you all the time. I thought things would have changed since then. Still, I'm glad everyone made it home safe and sound.

Uabassoon
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Laura, that just sucks. :( I remember when I visited London in 1975 and stayed in a youth hostel...you had to take all your valuables with you all the time. I thought things would have changed since then. Still, I'm glad everyone made it home safe and sound.

There were signs all over the place warning people to hang onto anything valuable, but since we had a private room and were just going to to check email we didn't think to bring them with us.

Barbara it was great meeting you too! Alexa and I were talking about how soon we are going to have to take a Europe trip and go through Germany, Scottland and Belguim. However don't be surprised if one day we force our way through your doors so that we can go to Oktoberfest!

We ended up not going to Paris the next day, we looked up everything and really thought about it but with the short notice it was just too expensive, we looked at coaches, trains and planes. So we decided on a day trip to Oxford where we did encounter the rain and I finally got to wear my brand new raincoat! Maybe someday I'll be able to wear it again :D

Uabassoon
07-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I bet you keep in contact with Alexa. If Alexa need a friend to talk to, let me know. I have a danish girlfriend who lives in North London, she has two dogs and beautiul cat! Just PM me and I'll give you her no.

(((hugs)))

That's so sweet of you Randi. Thankfully her younger sister just joined her there in London. I think they both leave for Lithuania on Tues and they will look into getting a cellphone as Lina (her little sister) will be there for 8 weeks and she really wants to get a phone so that she can feel conected to her friends here in the states. I think they both like the idea of being able to call their friends and loved ones whenever they feel like it. Alexa will return in two more weeks but at least she will have Lina to keep her company for the remainder of the trip and they will also be staying with her grandparents.

Barbara
07-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Laura, you'd be welcome any time :)

Killearn Kitties
07-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Laura, you'd be welcome any time :)
Absolutely! You start planning that European trip!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2006, 05:27 AM
Yeah, Laura, include Belgium! You can stay at our house, as we have a spare room with double bed, free for you to use! We live close to Ghent, so we can guide you there, in Bruges, you name it!
Did you get the first pics I sent? More will follow!

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I've sent 20 pics to Laura! :)

He he, I am glad I could do this for you, Laura, now you have at least a few souvenirs from the PT-meeting :) ; It was so great meeting you and Alexa!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-11-2006, 03:39 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108741

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-11-2006, 08:49 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=108741

You're welcome, Denise!!

Randi
10-16-2006, 01:19 PM
So Barbara, since you're in London half the time now.... are you taking notes of all the fantastic places we should see next June? ;)

Who is planning to come?

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey, will there be a second meeting in June 2007??? I don't know yet if I can make it, because my daughter is having her final exams in secondary school then! She needs her mommy then...

Uabassoon
10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I know Alexa and I are planing on going to Europe again but it might not be until the following summer since our bank accounts are still suffering from this summers trip!

Barbara
10-27-2006, 05:34 AM
So Barbara, since you're in London half the time now.... are you taking notes of all the fantastic places we should see next June? ;)

Who is planning to come?

I'm in London too often to have found this thread earlier ;)

What I like best are the riverside pubs, especially the ones near Southwrak Cathedral ;)

Randi
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Barbara, I'm not sure I know that area too well, but I'm sure it's nice. Here's a view: http://www.southwark.anglican.org/cathedral/images/cath.jpg

The ones who are coming, are you planning to stay in London, or go somewhere else? You'd love the countryside I'm sure! I'll probably be in the Oxford area with John's family part of the time. There are loads of B & B's and country pubs/hotels to choose from. :)

It would be great fun if we could hire a boat and go all the way down the Thames together, stopping whereever we felt like.