PDA

View Full Version : Bull goes to the vet!

Kristl
01-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Today. And sis Shadow too. They're getting their puppy shots! I believe it's rabies, distemper, and parvo. We're also going to see about microchipping! And a question: What are dewclaws and when should they be removed? Or do they even have to be?

PJ's Mom
01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Dewclaws are their little thumbs. Bailey still has hers and sometimes she gets them caught on blankets and stuff and it hurts her a little. But usually they aren't a problem. I don't know about having them removed, though. Peej had his taken off when he was a tiny baby. ;)

TrixiesMom
01-21-2005, 11:59 AM
I know my Vet frowns upon removing the dew claws.. Trix still has hers and I keep her nails short enough, it doesn't catch on anything..

Jods
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I have never had my pets dew claws removed they won't ever bother him they are fine to just leave be, but its up to mom... If you do decide to I'd just wait till you neuter him he will already be under anesthetic.

Glacier
01-21-2005, 12:32 PM
If you plan to do any extensive outdoor stuff with Bull, especially in the snow, I'd have them removed. Dewclaws in snow often get ripped off--it's painful and bleeds ALOT! I have them taken off all of my sled dogs. Most sled dogs have them removed when they are only a few days old. I've helped take them off puppies and almost always the pup doesnt' even notice!

I wait until they have to be put under for some other reason and have the claws clipped off then. usually they aren't very well attached and having them removed properly is much less painful than having them ripped off! Maybe when Bull is neutered?

lv4dogs
01-21-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree with Glacier, and would also like to warn you that tall grasses & bushes will rip them off too. Whne I worked at the vets, we wouls see quite a few dogs get them ripped in the feilds/woods. It turns into a very bloody mess.
I personally reccoment them to be removed because I have personally witnessed way too many accidents with them.

Waiting until they go under anesthesia for spay/neuter or any other reason when they are under general anesthesia is fine & a lot cheaper!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
I agree with Glacier, and would also like to warn you that tall grasses & bushes will rip them off too. Whne I worked at the vets, we wouls see quite a few dogs get them ripped in the feilds/woods. It turns into a very bloody mess.
I personally reccoment them to be removed because I have personally witnessed way too many accidents with them.

Waiting until they go under anesthesia for spay/neuter or any other reason when they are under general anesthesia is fine & a lot cheaper!!!

I agree that they should probably be removed. Bull is going to be a big active guy and I'd hate for him to rip them off in the future while playing. Talk to your vet about it.

Vette
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Kirbys dewclaws were removed when i rescued him. so i didnt have to worry about it...

my dog and my brothers dog used to always get their nails hung up in everything. we kept their nails clipped up short and everything too but they still got cought on things during play or whatever,, quite a few times the dewclaws were literally ripped out of their toes. very painful for them. caused them to limp around and even cry sometimes when moving around. sometimes they would just tear the skin by the nail and have the nail sticking straight up in the air.. talk about cringing. :(

id just go on a head and have them removed if i were you. they dont do anything real useful. some dogs use them to 'hang on' to objects like their toys or bones during chewing. but Kirby doesnt have his and chews everything fine without them.

but you could see how your dog does with them. some dogs dont have issues with their dewclaws their entire lives.

Kristl
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Well since Bull (and Shadow) will be retrieving the ducks that daddy hunts, from everyone's advice it sounds like it would be better to just have them removed...easier, less painful in the long run! As for the vet we're back, Bull didn't have roundworms!! He got his shots and we got outta there. But first we had to sniff everything, including the big german shepherd. He was nice, though! BTW- Bull weighs 13 pounds at 7 weeks...Shadow weighs 10 lbs. at 7 weeks! WOW!!! Oh yeah, and they played "who's bigger and better?" in the vet office!!! Dorks!

Andie
01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
It's usually the breeders responsiblity to have the dew claws removed. (but anyone who sells a puppy away at 5 weeks wouldn't bother) We didn't have our puppies' dew claws removed because all of ours went to be house pets.

Don't worry ;) he won't be 13 lbs for long
Pretty soon he'll look like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Andie2001/December011.jpg

P.S. Duke there was about 15 lbs at 6 weeks