PDA

View Full Version : 60 Cats found in van after traffic stop!!!

moosmom
01-20-2005, 04:19 PM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20050119/2250761877.htm&photoid=20050119NMROS10260 Cats Found in Van After Traffic Stop

:eek: :eek:

ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) - A routine traffic stop Wednesday led to the discovery of more than 60 sick and hungry cats in the back of a moving van driven by a 71-year-old woman.

Mary Jane Lyle pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of animal cruelty at a court appearance. She was being held in a Chaves County detention center.

If prosecuted, the charges carry possible prison time.

An officer pulled over the van because one of its taillights was out. While the officer was talking to Lyle, he heard noises coming from the back.

``Our officer heard a cat that appeared to be injured in some way,'' said police spokesman Robert Giles.

Lyle said she had a cat. But when the officer opened the back of the truck, he discovered 63. Two of the cats were dead and the others were ``in various stages of health,'' Giles said.

The cats were turned over to local animal control officers.

Police said Lyle was traveling from Minden, Mich., to Tucson, Ariz.

Uabassoon
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I saw this on the local news last night. They've started testing the cats and found that most of them tested positive for FIV. The people at the humane society were saying that the majority of the cats will have to be put down.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Old or not, it is still animal abuse. How sad! I hope that she regrets what she did, even if she thought she was doing the right thing:(

Uabassoon
01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I also forget to mention that the lady will be charged with 63 cases of animal cruelty.

moosmom
01-20-2005, 04:31 PM
That's what happens when "hoarders" collect pets. They THINK they're doing the right thing by taking them in, when in actuality, they're hurting them by not getting them medical attention.

Sad but so true. :(:(

NoahsMommy
01-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Its so hard to know if she really didn't know or not. You never can tell what people's intentions are.

:( Its so sad all those cats have to fall victim to her lack of education.

catfamily
01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Those poor babies.I'll bet the 2 that died..died a horrible death too.Noone should take a pet unless they can handle any medical crisis that may happen with them.Everything is expensive and it is a lot of responsability to care for even just one pet.This lady was not thinking straight.Too bad she didn't get help from someone before she decided to move all of them.There are tons of people that just don't know how to care for animals.It is so very sad:(
They probably didn't have any water either:(

catnapper
01-20-2005, 05:25 PM
OMG.. what a story. My jaw actually dropped when I read that. TWO DEAD??? In a van??? Horrific. :eek: :( :eek: :( :eek:

catcrazylady
01-20-2005, 05:25 PM
What a heart breaking story.:( I'm so glad that officer pulled her over and found that horrible mess. Imagine the life the cats that survived would have had.:( :(

catmandu
01-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Those Poor Cats,and its sad,that some people,are deluded,into thinking,that they are helping Stary Cats,and they are having Cats,that they cant care for,or really do anything for!

QueenScoopalot
01-21-2005, 10:54 AM
How horrible! I wonder if the cats died from heat in the van, or lack of water etc? What the heck is wrong with people? :mad:

ramanth
01-21-2005, 12:08 PM
How sad. :( :(

kimlovescats
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
:( :( :( :( :( Things like this just break my heart.

PayItForward
01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Thank goodness she was stopped and the cats were found.

Even if they have to be moved to rainbow bridge at least they won't suffer no longer and that lady can get the help she needs.

If there is any justice in this world, she'll be banned from owning pets for life. :(

Karen
01-21-2005, 03:22 PM
How very very sad.

DogLover9501
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
:eek: :( :(

K & L
01-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
That's what happens when "hoarders" collect pets. They THINK they're doing the right thing by taking them in, when in actuality, they're hurting them by not getting them medical attention.

Sad but so true. :(:(

Usually hoarders need some type of help themselves. They're usually not quite right mentally (obviously) and it so sad what these animals have to go through!

One time someone made the remark "was I a hoarder"? The nerve....a hoarder never provides vet care when necessary, never has the animals spayed/neuter, and usually has a pretty disgusting living environment! None of which we are!

Logan
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
This is just tragic......imagine the number of situations like this that we just don't know about right now......I'm sure it would be alarming.

DJFyrewolf36
01-21-2005, 10:50 PM
How horrible for those cats!!!

I'm glad the officer was observent and did something when he heard the commotion! I hope they nail the lady with all 63 counts of cruelty.

Poor babies, I hope some of them can be saved and put into homes where they will be loved like they deserve.

kimlovescats
01-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by K & L
Usually hoarders need some type of help themselves. They're usually not quite right mentally (obviously) and it so sad what these animals have to go through!

One time someone made the remark "was I a hoarder"? The nerve....a hoarder never provides vet care when necessary, never has the animals spayed/neuter, and usually has a pretty disgusting living environment! None of which we are!

Oh, I know what you mean, Lisa. When I told my allergist .... that I had a few cats (left out the exact number) ... he asked me if he would see me on the nightly news one day!:rolleyes: :mad:

It makes me sick, but unfortunately some hoarders do start off thinking they are being rescuers! :(