PDA

View Full Version : When you book a hotel room ...

Randi
01-20-2005, 10:45 AM
... what are your top 5 priorities?

Mine are:

A comfy bed.
Quiet surroundings .... at least at night!
A good shower - one that doesn't spray in all other directions.
A top floor room, facing north if it's a hot place - and preferably with a good view.
Thick curtains which keep the light out.

What's yours?

PJ's Mom
01-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Number one is they have to be pet friendly. If they don't take my dogs, they don't take me. :p

Edwina's Secretary
01-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Convenient location
firm bed
good shower
individual room temperature control (even if that means a window that opens!) I cannot sleep if it is warm...
the fifth would be between a restaurant on premise or internet connection (most my travel is busiess!)

I always sleep with the curtains slightly open. It is a long story but I once feel asleep in my hotel room...woke up...looked at my watch on the nightstand and in a panic realized I was late. Quickly showered, dressed, made up and shot out o the room....to see total darkness. After a brief moment of thinking the world had ended I looked at my watch ---right side up -- and found it was 2:00 in the morning...not 7:30.....

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Here is my top-5 !!

1) I want a comfy bed with a good matress (important for my back and a good night-rest!!)
2) I hate it when the curtains are to narrow, so large thick curtains are my nr 2!
3) A practical bathroom, with at least a clean toilet, and a working shower.
4 )2 easy chairs, as we both love reading a book before going to bed.
5) a TV-set. I don't really need it, but my hubby loves to watch CNN every day :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
After a brief moment of thinking the world had ended I looked at my watch ---right side up -- and found it was 2:00 in the morning...not 7:30.....
:eek: :eek:

Since my bed is always comfy and my shower is always just right (although somtimes a little too short to save on water), the things I look for are
1) Big enough
2) Scenery
3) Quiet
4) Electricity & sewer
5) Amenities (hot tub, internet access, pool, etc.)

Of course most of my bookings are for campgrounds, so my requirements would be a bit different. ;) :D

Seriously, since we got the motorhome, I don't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel room. Just think - always pet friendly, my sheets, so I know they're clean and who's been sleeping in them, restaraunt just a few steps away from the bedroom - although if you want something hot you have to heat it yourself, but you don't have to worry about getting dressed before having your first cup of coffee in the morning...can't beat it! :D

Freckles
01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
1. Nonsmoking floor.

catnapper
01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
1. Nonsmoking
2. Suites available (we never travel without the kids) or at least 2 double beds and a pullout couch.
3. Breakfast included?
4. This one goes to how snobby I am... when did they last renovate the room? The last time we went away we stayed in a hotel that had a new addition. We requested a room in that section, were promised a room in that area... and got one in the old section with mold EVERYWHERE in the bathroom, BLOOD on the mattress, I'm not even going into how bad the room was. I complained and they DID take 25% off the bill. The room next to ours had a broken AC unit.. and it was Virginia in June - HOT and HUMID. Poor prople in that room! So never aghain am I booking a hotel room until I know when it was renovated. At least then my chances of a mold free cooled environment are high.:D

Tonya
01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
After my horrible experience with Motel 6 last year, my standards are VERY high. I won't pay less then $150 a night for a room now. It's got to be tip top shape clean with the best patrons.

Motel 6 thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43865)

GraciesMommy
01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Pet Friendly
Cable TV
King Size Bed
Good AC or Heat
separate vanity from bathroom

Vio&Juni
01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I hate hotels anyway. But if I have to stay in a hotel, it has to be -- at least the 5th floor
- clean
- tv
- nice restaurant
- big beds (I hate separate beds, esp at seaside. Who goes to the seaside to sleep on separate beds?!?!). This summer I went to Odessa and we moved the beds to make a big one, so they asked us to move them back TO NORMAL when we were leaving :) NORMAL :rolleyes:

Kiia
01-20-2005, 02:08 PM
1- Pet friendly
2- Safe area
3- Clean
4- Comfy beds
5- Well heated if winter/well ACed if summer

This past Christmas we were going away so I had to call around to find a dog-friendly hotel. I called one place, I asked if they would allow a small dog, the guy told me, "no we don't allow any kind of animals, does the dog really have to go with you?" :rolleyes: I laughed and said, he's not old enough to stay home alone yet. Of course he has to come with us!

Another hotel told me they do not allow animals but that there was an animal daycare across the street that we can bring him to stay with. (of course for an expensive amount of money)

Let's see, another told me they allow animals but wanted to charge me $75.00 US extra. (not a deposit, just an extra charge on top of my bill)

Other places wanted a deposits anywhere from $10.00 US up to $50.00 US.

I finally found a reasonable hotel that didn't charge extra or require a deposit.

Miss Meow
01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I hate, hate, hate having to hear the plumbing from toilets and showers in other rooms! ARGHHHHHH! I don't know how many nights I've been kept awake from numpties who take 20 minute showers at 3 in the morning!

I like a choice of pillows, good room service and knowledgable staff if I need to dash out for a meal, chemist or anything where I don't know where I am.

Paul
01-20-2005, 04:37 PM
   The exact location
   Availability and cost of parking
   Price
   Internet access
   Size and quality of room

Miss Hoppy stays home.

Paul

Barbara
01-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Good mattress
AC that can be stopped (I HATE to hear the sound all night long)
Quiet
Not too small (if you travelled in Europe you knew what I mean, in the US usually they don't put you in a closet)
One big bed- I'm just like Vio if it comes to that;)

LoudLou
01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Location, Location, Location
A/C and not stuffy ( I run A/c almost all year... :o )
Internet Access
Clean
Cable TV

GiantSchnauzer
01-20-2005, 06:59 PM
It's gotta be CLEAN!

RICHARD
01-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Getting my date to pay???? Just kidding.

----------------------
Not too high.

Ice machine far away.

Away from the stairwell door....
SLAM! giggle giggle muffled voices.

Away from the elevator shaft-
The rumble like an earthquake.

Close to the fire alarm.

christa
01-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't care as long as it's CLEAN!!!

karyn674
01-20-2005, 11:29 PM
1 Clean
2 Comfy bed
3 good working shower
4 Helpful staff
5 A/c if it is a hot coutry i'm visiting.

I have chosen to put helpful staff at no. 4 cos i do think it is a priority. Last april me and Tom arrived in Cairo and had a hotel pre booked for the first 3 nights a 5 star Hotel. From there we only had to book while travelling around the country. By far it was the worse I ever set foot in. They placed us in the 2ND floor, the same floor they where knoking down. So at about 8:30 am the gigger would start off taking the plaster off the walls...........! The bed was like sleeping in the valley of the kings..........you just rolled in the middle! OH! awful experiance. From there even 3 star hotels i stayed and where far better believe me!