PDA

View Full Version : Sad news story about my parents neighbors.

pitc9
01-20-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=29036

Barn fire kills six horses
POSTED: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 1:48:54 PM
UPDATED: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:48:27 PM
HAMBDEN TOWNSHIP -- A terrible barn fire overnight in Geauga County killed a Hamden family’s six prize Belgian show horses.

It’s the latest tragedy for a mother, father and son, who have endured a medical crisis and military deployment.

Just after midnight with nobody home, the Apthorp’s two-story horse barn bursts into flames trapping their twelve beloved Belgians mighty workhorses that they show at county fairs and use to bring in the hay on neighbors farms.

Six of the majestic animals perished in their stalls - six others were rescued.

A passerby saw the flames and came up to the one story barn where he was able to save three of the horses.

Firefighters had to put blankets over the surviving horses heads to get them out of the fire.

“They didn’t want to leave,” said Fire Chief Scott Hildenbrand. “They wanted to stay in their comfortable stalls - so they had to cover their eyes and lead them out.”

A neighbor’s caring for three of the horses - three others are in an equine hospital.

In the midst of the devastation and death, a welcome sign of life - “Inky” the barn cat survived.

“She’s my buddy I’m glad she made it,” Dorsey Apthorp said.

Apthorp is toting up the losses.

Besides the animals and farm equipment...

She will e-mail the news to her son in Iraq.

Telling her 76-year-old husband, Tom, in hospice care with a brain aneurysm will be a tougher assignment.

“His, the horses are his love,” Apthorp said. “That’s something he remembers and I’m not sure I want to shock him with that today.”

Investigators are still looking into what caused the fire. The chief estimates the loss at $300,000. Neighbors have set up a fund to help the Apthorps.

To help the family recover from this fire, a fund has been set up at First National Bank. Ask for the Apthorp Fire Fund.

*Of the three that were hurt, Doc, Amy and Barbie, Amy is doing the best, Doc has bad burns on his face and eyes, and Barbie is a pregant mare, they don't know yet if Doc and/or Barbie are going to make it.:( My mom was trying to calm Barbie down once they got her out of the barn. She and my father were talking to her and walking her around so she wouldn't go down. *
The barn cat she talks about Inky, is the mother of my parents cat Leroy.

dukedogsmom
01-20-2005, 10:25 AM
That is so sad. She shouldn't say a word to her father. How would he know if she didn't tell him? Poor horses.

Corinna
01-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Prayers for the family and Doc, Amy,and Barbie.

ramanth
01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
How devestating. :( :( :( Friends of our family own Belgians and my dad is constantly helping out with the horses. They are his favorite breed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

shais_mom
01-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Prayers on the way - I don't think she would tell her husband either - I would worry the shock would be too much for him.

moosmom
01-20-2005, 12:44 PM
How tragic! :(:( My heart and thoughts go out to the family and remaining animals.

GraciesMommy
01-20-2005, 01:31 PM
How horrible...no, I don't think he needs to know either...let him have happy memories of his horses

zippy-kat
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
:(
The family -furry and skinned- will be in my thoughts.