PDA

View Full Version : Little worried about Chester

micki76
01-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Everyone was fine this evening, chewing, playing, etc. Suddenly about a half hour ago, Chester got in my lap shaking violently. I sort of assumed that he'd been out to poop and got cold. He does that and gets freezing cold so easily.

I turned on his electric bed, put a sweater back on him, and wrapped him in his fleece blanet on top of the electric bed. He's still shaking and looks miserable. :( I'm worried about him.

I also gave him an antibiotic thinking maybe he's got an infection from licking his feet, which he's been doing a lot lately.

He went out about 20 minutes ago and pooped. Was pretty normal, but a bit soft.

Just went out and had watery diarrhea and threw up twice. Had greenie in it.

I'm such a worrier. But he looks utterly miserable. :(

Please send some good thoughts for him. Please.

captain
01-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Oh Chester - you are making your Mummy worry .....

Get well soon sweetheart ............ :D

molucass
01-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Sending good thoughts your way for Chester! I hope he feels better soon.

Cookiebaker
01-19-2005, 03:01 AM
:( Oh no, Chester! :( Please feel better soon! We are worried about you!

{{Hugs}}

clara4457
01-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Get well soon Chester - try not to make you Mommie worry too much. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-19-2005, 05:33 AM
awwww

Chester. ... i hope you are feeling better soon.:)

Logan
01-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Micki, I will keep Chester in my thoughts today. I hope he will be better soon. Keep us posted!

cloverfdx
01-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Oh no, not poor Chester. I will definitly keep him in my thoughts Micki {{Hugs}}.

:(

micki76
01-19-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone. We had a very long night. Chester was very sick for the 1st half of the night, but seems a bit perkier this morning. Michael is off work today, so he's taking the poor kid to the vet today.

I got very little sleep from worrying about him. The sleep I did get was very light, because I didn't want him to go out without me seeing what was going on. He had some watery blood last night, and then some bad 'dire rear'. :(

Hopefully this isn't anything serious, or anything that the girls will get. :(

Tina
01-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Poor Chester! Sending good thoughts his way!! I hope he is feeling much better soon!!

pitc9
01-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I hope Chester feels better soon!

lovemyshiba
01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Oh Chester:(

I hope it's nothing serious, and can be healed quickly.
Kito gets the shakes sometimes and it scares me to death. He did it just last week, and I picked him up, put him under the covers with me, and just held him until he stopped. I was scared.

(Of course Kito does, they are long lost brothers after all;) :p )

Feel better soon sweet Chester.

lizbud
01-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I hope that Chester feels better soon. Kinda sounds like he
coming down with something.:( I hope not. Let us know what
the Vet thinks o.k.?

DogLover9501
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Poor Chester :(

I hope that it's nothing serious, and I really hope that Chester starts feeling better really soon.

I'll be thinking of him!

micki76
01-19-2005, 11:17 AM
He's got giardia, a micro organism, and we have no idea where he got it from. :( Most dogs (and people) are usually infected from contaminated water, but he never drinks from puddles, etc. Another source of contamination is when dogs walk (or run) through feces that are infected with giardia and then lick their feet. I think this is the most likely way that Chester got it. He's got his allergy problem that causes a LOT of paw licking. :(

Poor kid. Hopefully his appetite will return today. Luckily, Michael is off work today and tomorrow, so I don't have to sit at work and worry about my baby. :)

The girls will be treated as a precaution to prevent re-infection, because dogs can be carriers, but show no symptoms. They'll be happy to get peanut butter twice a day! :D

Thank you for all your good thoughts! I love having a PT; a place where people get my deep love for my dogs. Since I lost my father, no one else (except my sweet boss, she tries) understands how important they are to me.

caseysmom
01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
I believe you can vaccinate against this, I will check my paperwork when I go home but I think our new puppy got a vaccine for this.

micki76
01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by caseysmom
I believe you can vaccinate against this, I will check my paperwork when I go home but I think our new puppy got a vaccine for this.

Yes, there is a vaccine but it only appears to suppress the symptoms, not prevent the infestation of the giardia.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Aww, feel better soon Chester.

pipersmom
01-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Prayers for Chester. Poor baby.

jazzcat
01-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Poor Chester. That Giardia is nasty stuff. My sister in law and her whole family including their dog had it and it tooks months to get rid of it. Hope it's not so long for little Chester.

Please give my sweet jammies boy a hug for me.

jenfer
01-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Get well soon, Chester.

4 Dog Mother
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh, poor Chester! I hope he is feeling better soon!

shais_mom
01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
poor Chester
I am sorry he is sick!!
Feel better asap little guy!

LabradorLover
01-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I hope Chester is feeling better. Poor guy :(

My Peanuts
01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Harley shakes a lot in the winter. He gets cold easily, but it sounds like Chester has a bug of some kind. Get well soon little Chester.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Aww, poor Chester. :( I hope he feels better soon. Get well, lil guy!

ChrisH
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Poor little Chester. :( Hope you are feeling better very soon.

Christiansmommy
01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
We thought Dale had giardia a few months back. He was vomitting A LOT, and had the diarreha ( for a 100 lb dog, that is no fun!!!) Although, it would be no fun for any size dog... he had been in my in laws pond often a few months prior to getting sick ( and it can apparently be in the body and symptoms might not appear for a month), so we assumed he drank the water, and that is how he got sick, since he had all of the symptoms for giardia, but the test for it came back negative. So the vet treated him for whip worm, which is also the same symptoms as the giardia, after those pills were taken, he was back to new. Anyway, it was the day we moved into our new house...luckily I had him in the kitchen on the linoleum...he had to stay there for a couple of weeks, until we got stuff under control...i couldnt risk him having the big "D" on the new carpet. He was just miserable, i hated seeing him so lifeless...no energy, from no food...and not wanting to eat...i think we also gave him some Pecid AC to help calm the stomach...you could ask your vet about that...he was the one to recommend it...

(((HUGS))) to you and Chester, it is no fun seeing our babies sick!!

Robyn

K9soul
01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Oh no, poor little Chester! I can just imagine the sleepless and anxious night you must have had Micki :(. I'm sure hope he's back to his old self quickly. Sounds like it really hit sudden and hard. Poor little guy. Get well hugs and kisses to you Chester!

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Poor Chester:( I hope he get's better soon....

CamCamPup33
01-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Poor chester. :( Get well soon sweet boy!!

petslover
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
I just read this. I hope Chester gets feeling better really soon! I enjoy seeing your post Micki.

wolf_Q
01-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Poor Chester, I hope he will be feeling better soon! :( Nebo's had dairhea again, he has a vet appointment on Sat because of it.

KYS
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I hope Chester is feeling better.

(((^..^)))

popcornbird
01-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Oh poor Chester. :(:( Sorry I'm late to respond. I just saw this right now.

Hope Chester feels better soon!!! Keep us updated.

{{{hugs}}}

anna_66
01-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh that nasty Giaradia, it really is the pits isn't it?

I hope your feeling better today Chester:)

Kfamr
01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh no! :( I just saw this thread Micki.

How is your sweet boy feeling today? That poor little man. Please give him some gentle hugs from me.. and a "hug" for yourself as well.

We're thinking of you.

Is this something that the girls could get as well? :confused:

wolfsoul
01-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Yikes! :( I remember a few years ago when the SPCA had a breakout of giardia. It was horrible -- no one but the employees could even look at the dogs for months for fear that it would be spread to people. I hope Chester's clears up soon!

cloverfdx
01-20-2005, 07:24 PM
How is Chester doing today Micki? I hope he is feeling better. sending good thoughts Chesters way and the girls aswell {{Hugs}}.

micki76
01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
He's doing quite a bit better today. Yesterday and last night he just slept. He's still not up to par, but he should be soon!

Yeah Kay, it's very easily transmitted from dog to dog and (they think) even to humans. :eek: The girls are on the same meds as Chester to keep them from passing it back and forth.

Thanks for all your well wishes, hugs, and good thoughts!! :D

Kfamr
01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Yikes! That's really scary. :(

I'm glad he's feeling a bit better today. :)

cloverfdx
01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Glad to hear the little man is feeling a bit better :). {{Hugs}}

bckrazy
01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
oh noo! Chester! no more licking that yucky stuff on your feet :p

I'm glad the little man is feeling better.. ^^ I'm sure he'll be back to his old self soon

ChrisH
01-21-2005, 03:59 AM
So glad to hear he is feeling a bit better. :) Hugs to the little boy.

pitc9
01-21-2005, 07:31 AM
I hope he's feeling better!!