PDA

View Full Version : Emerson, you funny swizzler!

Cookiebaker
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Tonight my bro.inlaw came by to pick up our snowblower for repairs. We were standing in the front hallway talking and the dogs kept sniffing him and running away, and back again. Then, yep, Emerson let go of a swizzle all over Shawn's boot and the floor. :o Nawtee nawtee boy.

I didn't scold him or anything 'cause I didn't want to reinforce the behaviour. I just let him out, and cleaned it up. (Talk about embarrassing!!!) :o

Does any body else's dog swizzle around people? How do you handle it?

I use Febreze to mask the odor & prevent re-marking by the other dog and the cat. It's always seemed to work for me.

Logan
01-18-2005, 07:12 PM
:o Does this mean his peed, Anna? :o I don't know what swizzle is!! LOL!!!!!

Honey used to get nervous and pee, and she still does when she goes to the vet.

Corinna
01-18-2005, 07:15 PM
a sharp NO and Bad dog does nort reforce a bad behavior .It does let them know they did a bad thing.

wolfsoul
01-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
a sharp NO and Bad dog does nort reforce a bad behavior .It does let them know they did a bad thing.
While I would agree with this method on alot of things, I don't know if it would be the wisest thing to do when a dog is marking. To him, you might not be saying "No peeing in the house." You might be saying "No peeing." So he would just find ways to be sneaky about it; Peeing around the house when you're not looking. Rather than saying he is bad for doing the behaviour, it's better to correct where the behaviour is occuring.

CamCamPup33
01-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Cami only get's nervous and pees. Thank god. :p

How embarrassing! LOL! :p

wolfsoul
01-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Cami only get's nervous and pees. Thank god. :p

How embarrassing! LOL! :p
Lol, Timber did that when she was a puppy. Luckily it always happened when she was outside!

Cookiebaker
01-18-2005, 07:41 PM
:o Yes, Logan, it means he pees. haha :D

The reason I didn't scold him is because he does it out of fear. He doesn't know Shawn that well, and when he bent over him, that's when he let it go. He gets very scared when I reprimand him, and it would cause him to pee more, and just become more scared that he peed again. That's why I didn't scold him.

The other reason I didn't scold him is because he is very good on a regular basis, asking & begging to go out when he has to. He never messes in the house unless he is sick.

chocolatepuppy
01-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Lacey would piddle when someone came over or when she got excited when she was a puppy. Thank goodness she out grew it, some dogs don't.

Vette
01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
My friends Boston does the same thing. think its a submissive thing or something. shes gotten much better about it over the years,, but still does it though when she has company over. anyone the dog doesnt know and she lets lose..LOL

dukedogsmom
01-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Ha ha! Never heard it called that. All I could picture was a swizzle stick. Now it has a completely different meaning :p Duke hasn't done it since he was a puppy.

Shelteez2
01-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Just to make sure I'm picturing it right.... he is not lifting his leg on the person right? The person bends over him and he just pees?

Our cocker had the same problem so what we ended up doing was we told everyone who came in the house to ignore her and not bend over her, or pet her. Once the person came in the house and was settled, she settled down enough to let them pet her without peeing all over the place. Hers was more of an excitable peeing though as opposed to submissive peeing.

Funny to think now what it must have seemed like to everyone who came over and entered the house amidst shouts of "Don't touch the dog!" LOL

She too eventually got over it.

Cookiebaker
01-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Just to make sure I'm picturing it right.... he is not lifting his leg on the person right? The person bends over him and he just pees?

Yes, this is it exactly.

I wouldn't say it's excitement peeing because he was zooooming all around the living room and hallway while we were talking, coming up and sniffing and zooming away again. It was as soon as Shawn bent over to pet him after several minutes went by.

And it's good to know that there is a possibility that the problem will go away!

Logan
01-19-2005, 05:16 AM
I understand now. Poor Emerson. :o

Rachel
01-19-2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2

Our cocker had the same problem so what we ended up doing was we told everyone who came in the house to ignore her and not bend over her, or pet her. Once the person came in the house and was settled, she settled down enough to let them pet her without peeing all over the place. Hers was more of an excitable peeing though as opposed to submissive peeing.

Funny to think now what it must have seemed like to everyone who came over and entered the house amidst shouts of "Don't touch the dog!" LOL

She too eventually got over it.

Hannah has this problem too. If we know we will be having someone come to the house, we make sure she has been outside to empty her bladder before they arrive. Hannah is not a submissive dog in any respect, so I guess it is as you say *excitable peeing*. She never really got over it though, but the tactics you mentioned here work fairly well with her too.

lv4dogs
01-19-2005, 08:43 AM
If he didn't lift his leg than it is not marking, therefore yes it probably was out of fear & what you did was right.
But just a suggestion for cleaning, although the febreeze works for you, it probably just because it only happens he's scared, he's not marking or eliminating himself on purpose. Febreeze is an odor eliminator, but it is not designed for urine & the such. I reccomend Natures Miracle.

Good luck