PDA

View Full Version : Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Lizbud wants to discuss politics instead of religion, so.....let's have at it. ;) :D

I was just listening to some excerpts from the hearings to confirm Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State of the United States.

I have to say that I have to respect her because she is obviously very well educated (she is a Dr. after all), she is very well spoken, she is attractive and she can certainly hold her own in tough situations like today's confirmation hearings.

However, whenever I hear her, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard! She just rubs me the wrong way and even though it's highly improbable, I really wish she wouldn't be confirmed and they'd have to look for someone else to fill the position. I have no clue who else they might even consider because she's pretty much had a lock on it since she announced she'd take the position.

And probably the reason she rubs me the wrong way is because to me, it seems like she is just a puppet of the Bush administration - which also rubs me the wrong way. ;)

So, out with religion, in with politics! :D

Oh, and I don't care how nasty this gets, I promise not to delete it.

RICHARD
01-18-2005, 02:32 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050118/050118_rice_hearing_hmed_7a.h2.jpg

MSNBC posted this photo-

Dianne Frankenstein-ah, Feinstein is the woman who presented her to Congress for her hearing.

Feinstein is the senator from CA, she's a Dem, refuses to approve any legislation regarding concealed weapon permits, altho she packs heat herself. She took off an American flag of her lapel while she was in Europe, because she was afraid of what people would say to her.

She has a brother, who is a doctor, who refuses to acknowledge she is his sister.

Apparently, Rice and Feinstein are friends....

Not a good thing.

Edwina's Secretary
01-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Debbie. .you are one gutsy woman!!! As to the topic....can you say "sycophant????" If you look in the dictionary there is a picture of Condi!....

RICHARD
01-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Debbie. .you are one gutsy woman!!! As to the topic....can you say "sycophant????" If you look in the dictionary there is a picture of Condi!....

lololol,

And who are your state senators??

Baba boxer and dianne frankenstein.....

;)

I say a sycophant at the zoo once.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Ok, had to look in the dictionary for that one. ;) And yep, sure enough, there she was. :D

christa
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Just wait till it's . . .

Condi vs. Hillary

;)

(let's hope not)

RICHARD
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's one for you....

Do you remember the new Dennis the Menace movie??

Do you remember the Chiclets that Dennis glued to Mr Wilson's dentures......

Carry on......:D

christa
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Here's one for you....

Do you remember the new Dennis the Menace movie??

Do you remember the Chiclets that Dennis glued to Mr Wilson's dentures......

Carry on......:D

Ah haaa . . . that's it!!!

. . . bad bad bad Richard! :p

lizbud
01-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Lizbud wants to discuss politics instead of religion, so.....let's have at it. ;) :D

I was just listening to some excerpts from the hearings to confirm Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State of the United States.

I have to say that I have to respect her because she is obviously very well educated (she is a Dr. after all), she is very well spoken, she is attractive and she can certainly hold her own in tough situations like today's confirmation hearings.

However, whenever I hear her, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard! She just rubs me the wrong way and even though it's highly improbable, I really wish she wouldn't be confirmed and they'd have to look for someone else to fill the position. I have no clue who else they might even consider because she's pretty much had a lock on it since she announced she'd take the position.

And probably the reason she rubs me the wrong way is because to me, it seems like she is just a puppet of the Bush administration - which also rubs me the wrong way. ;)

So, out with religion, in with politics! :D

Oh, and I don't care how nasty this gets, I promise not to delete it.

I was just kidding, honest.:D I have yet to regain any
enthusiasm about anthing political since the election.:(

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by christa
Just wait till it's . . .

Condi vs. Hillary

;)

(let's hope not)

Actually,

It's gonna be Condi vs Baba in CA for the next go round.

Baba Boxer has some nerve talking smack-she's a crook, fabricator and one of the most unoriginal people that have ever sat in office here in Cah lee fuh nee ah.

http://boxer.senate.gov/news/record.cfm?id=230699

In her opening statement she admonished Rice for describing a nuclear attack on the United States- It scared everyone!!!!

I guess it's better to think that everything is hunky dory and NOTHING LIKE THAT COULD EVER HAPPEN HERE IN THE US-

Tom Clancy wrote about a 747 flying into the White House..

That would never happen HERE......

Nope, they went back to the World Trade Center and finished the job...

Rice may not be the best for the job, but thank god that Boxer is here in CA and not helping run the country.

lizbud
01-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Saint Condi? I don't think so .....

A point-by-point analysis of how one of America's top national security officials has a severe problem with the truth

March 26, 2004

Pre-9/11 Intelligence

CLAIM: "I don't think anybody could have predicted that they would try to use an airplane as a missile, a hijacked airplane as a missile." – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 5/16/02

FACT: On August 6, 2001, the President personally "received a one-and-a-half page briefing advising him that Osama bin Laden was capable of a major strike against the US, and that the plot could include the hijacking of an American airplane." In July 2001, the Administration was also told that terrorists had explored using airplanes as missiles. [Source: NBC, 9/10/02; LA Times, 9/27/01]

CLAIM: In May 2002, Rice held a press conference to defend the Administration from new revelations that the President had been explicitly warned about an al Qaeda threat to airlines in August 2001. She "suggested that Bush had requested the briefing because of his keen concern about elevated terrorist threat levels that summer." [Source: Washington Post, 3/25/04]

FACT: According to the CIA, the briefing "was not requested by President Bush." As commissioner Richard Ben-Veniste disclosed, "the CIA informed the panel that the author of the briefing does not recall such a request from Bush and that the idea to compile the briefing came from within the CIA." [Source: Washington Post, 3/25/04]

CLAIM: "In June and July when the threat spikes were so high…we were at battle stations." – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/22/04

FACT: "Documents indicate that before Sept. 11, Ashcroft did not give terrorism top billing in his strategic plans for the Justice Department, which includes the FBI. A draft of Ashcroft's 'Strategic Plan' from Aug. 9, 2001, does not put fighting terrorism as one of the department's seven goals, ranking it as a sub-goal beneath gun violence and drugs. By contrast, in April 2000, Ashcroft's predecessor, Janet Reno, called terrorism 'the most challenging threat in the criminal justice area.'" Meanwhile, the Bush Administration decided to terminate "a highly classified program to monitor Al Qaeda suspects in the United States." [Source: Washington Post, 3/22/04; Newsweek, 3/21/04]

CLAIM: "The fact of the matter is [that] the administration focused on this before 9/11." – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/22/04

FACT: President Bush and Vice President Cheney's counterterrorism task force, which was created in May, never convened one single meeting. The President himself admitted that "I didn't feel the sense of urgency" about terrorism before 9/11. [Source: Washington Post, 1/20/02; Bob Woodward's "Bush at War"]

CLAIM: "Our [pre-9/11 NSPD] plan called for military options to attack al Qaeda and Taliban leadership, ground forces and other targets -- taking the fight to the enemy where he lived." – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/22/04

FACT: 9/11 Commissioner Gorelick: "There is nothing in the NSPD that came out that we could find that had an invasion plan, a military plan." Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage: "Right." Gorelick: "Is it true, as Dr. Rice said, 'Our plan called for military options to attack Al Qaida and Taliban leadership'?" Armitage: "No, I think that was amended after the horror of 9/11." [Source: 9/11 Commission testimony, 3/24/04]
Condi Rice on Pre-9/11 Counterterrorism Funding

CLAIM: "The president increased counterterrorism funding several-fold" before 9/11. – National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, 3/24/04

FACT: According to internal government documents, the first full Bush budget for FY2003 "did not endorse F.B.I. requests for $58 million for 149 new counterterrorism field agents, 200 intelligence analysts and 54 additional translators" and "proposed a $65 million cut for the program that gives state and local counterterrorism grants." Newsweek noted the Administration "vetoed a request to divert $800 million from missile defense into counterterrorism." [Source: New York Times, 2/28/04; Newsweek, 5/27/02]

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Saint Condi? I don't think so .....

Are we back to arguing religion???

:confused:

My point is that addled old women (Baba) should realize that should we bury our heads in the sand, the nuclear fall out will still
BBQ our respective rear ends.

I wasn't endorsing Rice, Boxer or Frankenstein.

I would endorse Mariska Hartigay, Eva Longoria or that little vixen, Teri Hatcher......

But, I can't have everything.
:(

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10046000/10046082.jpg

christa
01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Actually,

It's gonna be Condi vs Baba in CA for the next go round.

Oh yes . . . I know . . . but I always imagined a Clinton/Boxer Dem Ticket.

:eek:

Just don't see that happening though . . . but who knows!?!?

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh yes . . . I know . . . but I always imagined a Clinton/Boxer Dem Ticket.

:eek:

Just don't see that happening though . . . but who knows!?!?

We'll have to see if it's a fact or claim.

Actually,

I wouldn't mind having a woman for a leader..

Of course, I'd have to find one a marry her.:D

Lady's Human
01-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Note to all involved............

THIS IS A CONFIRMATION HEARING!!!!!!

THe election is over, Senators Boxer and Kerry. The time for making political speeches was two months ago, not now.

Edwina's Secretary
01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
The time for making political speeches was two months ago, not now.

Why????

And does that mean we will not have to deal with political speeches from Bush and his co-conspirators either? The Address will be a model of non-partisanship??? Yeah... right...

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Why????

And does that mean we will not have to deal with political speeches from Bush and his co-conspirators either? The Address will be a model of non-partisanship??? Yeah... right...

Probably,

And then we'll just have to get that pesky Tah-raise-ah to fall in line and we'll be all set!!!:confused:

christa
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
We'll have to see if it's a fact or claim.

Actually,

I wouldn't mind having a woman for a leader..

I wouldn't mind a woman leader either . . .

As long as it's not Hillary. :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't mind a woman leader either . . .

As long as it's not Hillary. :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just think of who would have been riding shotgun if you-know-who had won the election....

And I ain't talking John Dean's wife!!!!
;)

Lady's Human
01-19-2005, 07:19 PM

ES,

The confirmation hearings are supposed to be to determine the suitability of the nominee in question, not a chance for senators to polish their political star. If someone wants to make a speech for/against a nominee there is plenty of opportunity to do so under the senate's parliamentary rules. The inaugural address has ALWAYS been a political grandstand for the incoming President, while political speeches in place of questions in nomination hearings are a relatively new development. Sen. Boxer was taking bits of memos out of context to grill Dr. Rice, rather than simply asking questions, and interrupted Dr. Rice when she was trying to rebut Sen. Boxer's statements. Sen. Boxer was merely using her position as a member of the Foreign Relations committee to grandstand, and most of what she said had nothing to do with questioning a nominee.

RICHARD
01-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Baba and Kerry's votes were the first NAY votes for a nominee in HOW many years??

Baba made a few speeches about wanting to work with the opposition during her re-election....

As I said before.....fabricator and unoriginal.:rolleyes:

christa
01-19-2005, 09:49 PM
John Kerry & Barbara Boxer . . . 2008 Dem ticket??? I could see it.

Ugh! :p

RICHARD
01-20-2005, 04:13 PM
I wonder if Kerry could handle two women at a time. :rolleyes:

Just think,

Battleaxes in stereo.

Actually,
That would be a first in American history. Three women on a presidential ticket.

----------------------------------------------------------
Anti-war protesters mourn those killed in Iraq
Thursday, January 20, 2005
(01-20) 13:54 PST (AP) --

LIBBY QUAID
Associated Press Writers
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Anti-Bush demonstrators waving signs that said "Worst President Ever" and "the American Nightmare" jeered the president's motorcade during the inaugural parade Thursday.

The procession of cars sped up as President Bush neared the designated location for protesters on Pennsylvania Avenue. Two rows of police lined the street in front of the main protest site. Officers stationed atop buildings along the route kept close watch on the crowd.

Boos rained down from the crowd and some demonstrators shouted, "No justice, no peace." In some places in the protest area, the crowd was about six rows deep.

Three blocks from the White House, protesters tried to rush a security gate and a flag was burned. Police briefly locked down the area, trapping some 400 to 500 spectators.

Annie Katz, 52, of New York, was at the rear of a group of protesters, but she said the experience was worth it despite the bad view. Katz said she was upset by the 2000 election, but "I'm angrier this time, since I'm angry about the war."

U.S. soldiers in dress uniforms and blue coats were greeted with chants of "no more wars."

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll gladly pay for a plane ticket for the prostestors to go overseas to try and get the terrorists to behave..

I wonder how many chants of "No more terrorism!" they'd get in before the insurgents would take them out......

RICHARD
01-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Nancy Pelosi came out and pooh poohed any thoughts about working with the Republicans for the next four years.

Nothing like throwing in the towel on the first day.

Here's something to chew on.

Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, Baba Boxer, Dianne Frankenstein, and Laura Chick are all elected officials here in Cah lee fuh nee ah.

They are very strong willed and opinionated.

They all are very dramatic when they are on camera.

They all have funny names.

They validate the 'nut' part of the phrase, "California, the land of fruits and nuts."

lizbud
01-21-2005, 12:06 PM

Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters, Baba Boxer, Dianne Frankenstein, and Laura Chick are all elected officials here in Cah lee fuh nee ah.

They are very strong willed and opinionated.

They all are very dramatic when they are on camera.

They all have funny names.

They validate the 'nut' part of the phrase, "California, the land of fruits and nuts."

Well, if they are the nuts, then you must be the fruit, no ?

I mean, you're the exact opposite of opinionated, strong willed, etc, etc. :p

RICHARD
01-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Well, if they are the nuts, then you must be the fruit, no ?

I mean, you're the exact opposite of opinionated, strong willed, etc, etc. :p

Was that a swipe at my masculinity?

In case you haven't noticed, I can be overbearing, stupid and not too bright myself....

Maybe I'll need to run for office to be taken seriously.:rolleyes: :o :( :eek: :confused:

-----------------------------------------

I guess I'd be a kiwi fruit, not too pleasant on the ourside.
Sweet, tart and full of little black seeds on the inside.

RICHARD
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
GEEZ,

Rice made it....

Baba and the dems met all day yesterday to discuss Rice's appointment..

All that for one woman.

I wonder what the senate could accomplish if they took that much interest in taking care of issues, instead of making issues.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I wonder what the senate could accomplish if they took that much interest in taking care of issues, instead of making issues.

I agree. It was a done deal before all these hours upon hours of talk. Why waste our hard earned money that way? :rolleyes:

lizbud
01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Rice was always assured the new position. She had the
numbers needed, but I ,for one, am glad she was asked again
to explain the convoluted logic that got this country into the
mess in Iraq.

RICHARD
01-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Rice was always assured the new position. She had the
numbers needed, but I ,for one, am glad she was asked again
to explain the convoluted logic that got this country into the
mess in Iraq.

I think you are jealous that your state senators aren't the snippy, lock jawed, pit bull that Baba is.

And I loved the Kerry statement about him being able to secure the world's new-cle-ar stockpiles in four years, when the current admin said they would take longer.

Me thinks that should the sorcerer be able to accomplish feats of magic, that he should be able to conjure up a seat in the White House!

Let's see,

A senator at one day's pay.......Nothing.....

At least I'd get something should I pay a hooker for a day.

:confused: ;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
glad she was asked again to explain the convoluted logic that got this country into the mess in Iraq

and shamefully failed to answer ....again...

RICHARD
01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Speaking of questions shamefully never answered again...

When are all the people moving out of the United States??

I was banking on a better job when the Dems said they were going to move out of country after a Bush win.....

I figured at least 10 million new jobs.

That would drop unemployment and help the economy in so many ways.

But as usual......politics-all talk and no action....

Edwina's Secretary
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
How ironic she is confirmed on the deadliest day yet for American troops in Iraq.....

christa
01-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Speaking of questions shamefully never answered again...

When are all the people moving out of the United States??

I was banking on a better job when the Dems said they were going to move out of country after a Bush win.....

I figured at least 10 million new jobs.

That would drop unemployment and help the economy in so many ways.

But as usual......politics-all talk and no action....

LOLOLOL - I'd forgotten about all that 'talk' . . . too good to be true I guess . . . . ;)

RICHARD
01-27-2005, 12:02 PM
ES,
Can you break down those figures for me?

Combat vs. Accident?

-------------------------------------
This shows what a fricking moron Dianne Frankenstein is...

She is trying to push a bill that will call for people to show ID and sign for any over the counter medicines for allergies......Like Nyquil.........there is also a limit, 9 grams every thirty days...

Why? Because they contain pseudoephedrine,
an ingredient needed to make methamphetamine..

Why not just limit the amount a person buys, period???

NOPE! You gotta make more paperwork, every drugstore clerk gets a badge and determines how you can self medicate yourself.

This AH wants to know who is buying Nyquil and Contact.

-------------------------------------
One Adam 12, One Adam 12-

See the man, Suspect with a possible purchase of TWO bottles of NYQUIL.

Code Three!!!

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Richard....dead is dead.....

RICHARD
01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Richard....dead is dead.....

I was watching a segment last night on the "Paula Zahn Show" called Pale Rider 3.

It was a pretty harsh view of what a group of soldiers went thru
during their tour in Iraq.

I didn't watch the end of the story because it was so sad.

The one thing that I noticed about these guys was their professionalism, tales of courage and bravery and their love for each other.

I don't think we will ever know just how scared they were in the last seconds of their lives.

I think we can get a hint of the pride they had and the sacrifices they made to go around the world and try to make a difference to people they never knew before.

Dead is dead.... but I think they deserve more of an obituary than to be remembered as just a number on the day that Rice was sworn in as Sec of State.....

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Then perhaps you should show them more respect. Whether they died accidentally or were killed intentionally...they died. They left a grieving family...perhaps fatherless children -- childless parents.

Their death in a foreign country doing their duty is no less worthy because it was an accident.

lizbud
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Dead is dead.... but I think they deserve more of an obituary than to be remembered as just a number on the day that Rice was sworn in as Sec of State.....

You forgot to include a picture of an American flag waving in
the breeze with that post. What they really deserve is more
intellegent leadership than Bush and Rumsfeld & Co.

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
She is trying to push a bill that will call for people to show ID and sign for any over the counter medicines for allergies......Like Nyquil.........there is also a limit, 9 grams every thirty days...

No more silly than the rule from the Department of Homeland Security that my identification card must be current. Do you know how many times I have been questioned because my driver's license has "expired?" (The renewal sticker is on the back.) I guess I stop being me when my license expires.

RICHARD
01-27-2005, 01:33 PM
No more silly than the rule from the Department of Homeland Security that my identification card must be current. Do you know how many times I have been questioned because my driver's license has "expired?" (The renewal sticker is on the back.) I guess I stop being me when my license expires.

Terrorists come in all shapes and colors.......Political affilations too!

You live in California now- Do not fight assimilation.......

It's not as bad as being a Borg.

You forgot to include a picture of an American flag waving in
the breeze with that post. What they really deserve is more
intellegent leadership than Bush and Rumsfeld & Co.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/pc1f4db68435775a14e2d08597891f768/f6a1fae2.jpg

Are you happy now???

Did you ever watch a pot that simmers over a low flame until the
water boils away???

---------------------------------------

One guy said that being born in the US was like winning the lottery.

I am sorry you don't appreciate your ticket.