PDA

View Full Version : Simon the Dog Counselor and My Great-niece

4 Dog Mother
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/pc5804efa6121e8b4ce93ab66d457d325/f68311a4.jpg
This is a picture of Simon, a dog many of us met at the last Pet Talking Gathering in Findlay this fall. He belongs to a friend of mine who is a counselor in Upper Sandusky.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p928f73ce66caa16e2fa8ade722450486/f8b11217.jpg ]
This is my great-niece, Katrina who also happens to be Amy's God daughter.

Katrina's mother and dad got divorced this summer and Katrina lives with her mother but spends time with her dad also. When she came back from her dad's about two weeks ago, she had a suspicious mark on her wrist. She came up with a million stories as little kids will do as to how it happened. Because it looks like a cigarette burn it is being investigated by the police and children services. Obviously, we don't want this to happen again. I finally remembered that my friend with Simon has done a lot of work with kids that have been physically and sexually abused (no, we don't think that Katrina has been sexually abused). So I called her to get an appointment for Katrina.

Simon goes to work with my friend, Barb. Obviously he is quite an attention getter for kids. When Barb asked Katrina what happened to her arm Katrina said she would tell Simon. The first visit (last Thursday) did not go so well because in the end she would not tell who hurt her arm.

Yesterday, we went to see Barb and Simon again. Barb had explained to Katrina that if she didn't tell, the person could do it again because we couldn't protect her if we didn't know and Katrina had promised that she would tell Simon this time. When we got there, Barb talked to Katrina's mother first. I sit in the waiting room with Katrina. Katrina went next and she TOLD Simon what happened. She even showed Simon how it was done. She drew a picture of it too. Now Barb can call the Social worker and the Detective and hopefully we can get it so the father can only get supervised visits at a Safe House.

Yeah, Simon! What a good dog!

micki76
01-18-2005, 09:40 AM
That's GREAT that Simon was there for Katrina to "safely" tell her story to. :) Of course, it makes me sick that anything happened to her at all. :(

Cincy'sMom
01-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm so glad Katrina told!!! I forgot to call yesterday and see how things went, but I will call tonight (or call me if you don't hear from me!)

Thank you Simon!!!

If I remember right, the court hearing for this is tomorrow. If everyone could keep my cousin and her daughter (Katrina) in the their thoughts and prayers it would be apprecaited!!!

shais_mom
01-18-2005, 12:03 PM
What a beautiful little girl. And of course Simon is gorgeous I remeber he can RUUUNNNN.

I remember seeing Simon at the park.
Does she still work in Upper Sandusky?
I was driving to work yesterday and happend to glance over at the street lite and saw the Wyandot Couseling services and I thought - hey that's where Simon works.
One of the cops in town was telling me that he took his kids to counseling I said "oh where" he said "uptown - I dunno lady has a HUGE Poodle" I said "OH that's Simon!"

prayers and thoughts out to you're family

4 Dog Mother
01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Does she still work in Upper Sandusky? I was driving to work yesterday and happend to glance over at the street lite and saw the Wyandot Couseling services and I thought - hey that's where Simon works.

Yup, that's where she works. The first time I came from Tiffin with Danielle and Katrina and I went by the hospital and I thought, hmm, I wonder if Staci is working. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon. Would you have been working?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Way to go Simon!!! :D

Amazing how kids sometimes feel more comfortable telling animals things than they do people. Maybe that's because she has now learned to distrust people. So sad for such a young girl, but it sounds like she has plenty of people around who really love her and are willing to help her. I can't imagine burning someone with a cigarette in the first place, much less your own 4 year old daughter! I sure hope he only gets supervised visits, if he gets any visits at all! :mad:

shais_mom
01-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Nope I don't go in until 3 but I bet I drove by where you were!! :cool:

ramanth
01-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Way to go Simon! I hope justice is done. *hugs to Katrina*

4 Dog Mother
01-19-2005, 12:40 PM
They are in court right now to decide whether there should be a protective order to keep the father from having Katrina to come and spend the night etc. - to see her he would have to go to a place that is created for instances like this - under supervision and for a short period of time. I am on pins and needles wondering how it is going.

For those of you who have never been through this kind of thing before (which Thank God I am one) thre are several "cases" going on. This to decide if Katrina needs protected from him. A criminal case where he could go to jail if he is found guilty and then there will be another to change the custody arrangement. Wwhat a mess!

Cincy'sMom
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
I am on pins and needles wondering how it is going.

Me too!! Call me tonight, if you hear anything. We are supposed to take the dogs to a girl scout meeting, and then I have dance, so I may not be home much before 10...