PDA

View Full Version : Bunny Info

Daisylover
05-24-2001, 12:48 PM
If you have a pet rabbit or are considering getting one, please go to http://www.rabbit.org

Rabbits are absolutely wonderful pets (I have 5), but it has to be on THEIR terms, not yours. They have very different needs and temperment from dogs and cats, and are just as much work as a dog/cat. Contrary to what you might think, many buns (not all, but many) do NOT like being held up off the ground and/or cuddled. Domesticated rabbits do not have the ability to fend for themselves and should never be turned loose if they become unwanted. What is often seen as timidness is a result of them having been prey animals for thousands of years, so they have that instinctive fear of animals (people) who are bigger, who move suddenly, and who "loom" over them...they think they are going to be someones dinner.
They also have special nutritional needs and have health concerns and, occasionally, behavior problems. The above listed website addresses all these problems and more.
Bunnies are a lot of work, but they are also fun-loving (they love to play with toys), humorous (flips and sudden, joyful jumps sideways are a sight to behold), and are affectionate with each other and a favorite human. So, if you are interested in rabbits please see the House Rabbit Society website. It will be worth your time.

ilovehounds
06-02-2001, 11:24 AM
I have three rabbits, a man was going to feed this rabbit to his dogs and I told him NO YOUR NOT just let me have him right now. So he did. He took it out of the back of his truck and let it go in our barn yard, that was 5 years ago and he still lives in our band yard and will come running for a treat and an ear scratch. He is now joined by two other "unwanted" rabbits who also live loose in your barn yard. I had a lopped eared rabbit awhile ago, he was a great pet and lived in the house, he passed away about 7 years ago, someday I will get another one but I haven't the time right now.