PDA

View Full Version : Ferret Litter

DNova
11-01-2001, 04:39 PM
I want a cat, but I probably won't risk getting one in my no-cat no-dog (no-love) apartment building, so I'm looking into ferrets. Ferrets are adorable little things, and I've always wanted one.

So why can't I use clumping litter? I've read that you shouldn't use clumping litter for ferrets, but no explanations of why not. I'm afraid that if I can't use clumping, I won't be able to get a ferret :(

Advise/experience/anything appreciated! Thanks a lot, Donald Nova

zippy-kat
11-01-2001, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure why...but it is a good question!
Maybe the dust causes respiratory problems?

have you looked on any ferret sites? maybe they have the answer...?

aly
11-01-2001, 11:53 PM
I LOVE ferrets!!! I researched about them for 6 months and came so close to getting one, but then I found Shiloh.

I just read the following on http://www.thechipster.com/fert-man.html :
"Regular cat litter can be used. If your ferret is not one to dig and play in the litter, the "scoopable, non-track, dust free" variety makes it easier to keep the litterbox clean. If your ferret thinks of the litter as a sandbox and/or scoots in the litter, the clumping litter is not recommended. A regular dust-free clay litter, recycled paper pellets, or similar litters may be better. Some owners find that wood stove pellets, made of compressed wood chips, make an inexpensive litter."

That whole page has a lot of really useful information. I'd read it all before getting a ferret.

zippy-kat
11-02-2001, 08:45 AM
Good info aly!