PDA

View Full Version : Warning to all puppy parents!!!!

Kristl
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
I went to have a meeting with my puppy trainer and when she asked me what I put in Bull's crate I said a fleece blanket and a old fleece jacket and some toys. She said to take everything out because she knows of a lady who lost 2 puppies due to them choking on pieces of blanket from chewing it in their crate! She said puppies will be fine with just a kong in there! Scary. I am taking EVERYTHING except the kong out immediately. Just wanted to let everyone know. PS i am not worried about Bull being uncomfortable without something soft in there because:

lute
01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
that's so scary! i would hate to return to a puppy's kennel to find the worst!:(

Giselle
01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Hmm...I suppose the importance of the durability of a blanket comes into play here. Orvis beds are awesome! As are many other companies. The type of fabric and the type of bed is very important. Many use nylon-ish fabric, while other's use fleecy types that can ball up and be pulled off by a puppy. I don't use those in my crates. I use the nylon-ish, polyester type beds that are hard to chew off. I also have non-chewers so I guess that helps, too:)

However, I would like to note that your sighthound should never be restricted from soft surfaces. They are very bony and can develop calluses and sores on their elbows, plus, hair loss is inevitable if you don't provide soft surfaces. I would hate for a sighthound puppy to sleep in an empty crate.

Kristl
01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
i think they have those nylon type beds at petsmart...have to check that out. The trainer said once the pup's out of the "chewing everything stage" you can put whatever in the crate! good advice on the callouses...i never thought of that. Bull has to sleep in an empty crate tonight though, because he pooped everywhere and then got in the crate and rolled around! Stinky!!!!!

micki76
01-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Giselle
I would hate for a sighthound puppy to sleep in an empty crate.

I would hate for any puppy to sleep in an empty crate. :(

lute
01-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Kristl
i think they have those nylon type beds at petsmart...have to check that out. The trainer said once the pup's out of the "chewing everything stage" you can put whatever in the crate! good advice on the callouses...i never thought of that. Bull has to sleep in an empty crate tonight though, because he pooped everywhere and then got in the crate and rolled around! Stinky!!!!!
ew!

Leroy did that the first night he stayed here.:rolleyes:

Kristl
01-17-2005, 09:19 PM
i bet i'll feel too bad about the empty crate and let him have the run of the kitchen tonite.....actually, i may have a nylon bed somewhere (my grandma's, mom's, aunt's, somewhere)

sammy101
01-17-2005, 09:33 PM
We only leave Lucy in her crate when we go out.We have 2 towels then a fleece blanket on top no the towels,she hasnt torn or chewed anything yet.I wouldnt leave my puppy in her crate with no warm blankets:(