PDA

View Full Version : Gross house cleaning question

micki76
01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
It's my kitchen sink. It stinks. Not a normal stink either. This is disgusting; like something dead. :(

I've done the baking soda & vinegar thing with no results. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of this nauseating odor?

It's so bad that I can't even tell which side it's coming from. I took the trap off under the sink and cleaned that out. :eek: YUCK! As gross as that was, it didn't help at all.

I was blaming hubby for letting food go down the wrong side, but I'm not sure that's what it is anymore. He SWEARS he didn't let any go anywhere except the side with the disposal, but he SWEARS about a lot of household chores. :rolleyes: (I'm a bit of a perfectionist)

Any suggestions?

PJ's Mom
01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Have you tried a lemon? Peel and all usually works. :)

micki76
01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Have you tried a lemon? Peel and all usually works. :)

Put it in the disposal and grind it up?

PJ's Mom
01-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Yep. That's how I get rid of the stinky stuff the kids put down the drain. :)

(small pieces, of course. you don't want to kill your disposal. :eek: )

anna_66
01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I've also tried lemon, but there is also something you can buy at the grocery to stick in the disposal (of course I can't remember the name:rolleyes: ). It works great and gets rid of all the odors better than the lemon I think.
Good Luck!

RICHARD
01-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Did you heat the vinegar??

Heat up the vinegar- pour the BS into the drain and toss in some boiling vinegar....The heat kills the stinkys!!

lovemyshiba
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Lemon was my suggestion--that's what I used to use when I had a disposal.

I hope you get it cleaned up--I'm sure the smell is awful:eek:

kuhio98
01-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Our garbage disposal is the side that smells. Every week or so, we grind up half of a little lemon (actually, I drop it down there and grind it a little and let it sit then grind it some more later in the day, etc.) Or we grind up one of those little tangerines every now and then. I've also used pickles and vinegar. But the lemon works the best. We do this religiously since we discovered that Pepper has been peeing in the sink! :eek: :mad:

micki76
01-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98
Our garbage disposal is the side that smells. Every week or so, we grind up half of a little lemon (actually, I drop it down there and grind it a little and let it sit then grind it some more later in the day, etc.) Or we grind up one of those little tangerines every now and then. I've also used pickles and vinegar. But the lemon works the best. We do this religiously since we discovered that Pepper has been peeing in the sink! :eek: :mad:

Oh, goodness. Well, there are worse places!

I'll try some of the suggestions here. My co worker suggested that I try the plunger. He thinks there may be old yucky food stuck in there somewhere.

I also tried filling both sides with HOT water and then letting the stoppers out at the same time. His theory was that it may help "flush" out the stinky stuff. Huh-uh. Didn't work, in fact it made it worse.

GAG.

I did discover that putting the stoppers back in while I'm not using the sinks keeps the kitchen from reeking.

RICHARD
01-17-2005, 05:48 PM
lololol
I forgot to tell you that there is a boiled vinegar smell that goes along with my remedy......

But THAT goes away quickly!:rolleyes:

kt_luvs_kitties
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I always used that liquid plumber in my sinks. I used to sit in the sink and do my makeup *imagine how that looked* and I would always be lazy and just put my shavings from my eyeliner down the sink. Well, when we were about to move out, we had to un clog it. I put liquid plumber in and let it sit, then I plungied it, then hot water. It worked, so give that a try if all else fails.
PS- It was my second bathroom sink, which was NEVER used. And the stuff we got out of that sink, was just plain out N.A.S.T.Y!

lizzielou742
01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I had that problem. I tried baking soda, vinegar, all that. I had to pull out the cover that fits inside the drain to the garbage disposal and clean it off (I think you said you did that already), then I looked down in there with a flashlight to see if there was junk in there than needed to be removed. Then I put about 4 lemons down there, 1/4 at a time, and ground them up good. I ran plenty of water through there while I was doing that. I also ran some ice cubes through and that helped a lot. Take off the drain cover thing and put a handful of ice cubes down there, replace the cover, and carefully grind them up while the cold water's running. Just be careful not to put too many down at once, or else your motor will have to work too hard and you could blow a fuse or something. The ice chunks plus the lemon can usually clean it out pretty good. If that doesn't do it - you may really have something blocking it up that you'll need to get removed. Good luck!

QueenScoopalot
01-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Does your sink have a rubber thingee in the drain? Oftentimes the undersides of these become all gummed up with fat, and other debris, and then the bacteria takes over. Get a brush (toilet brush type) and push it into the drain, and scrub the underside of the rubber thing if there is one. Better yet, if there is one, pull it out and soak it in bleach. Lemons will freshen the drain as others have said. ;)

slleipnir
01-17-2005, 08:16 PM
We always use the garbage disposal or whatever you call it..so not really sure.

catnapper
01-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Have you figured out where the odor is coming from? I hate to suggest this... but you might have a dead mouse in the walls! We had this happen the winter before we got Allen (in fact, that is the ONLY reason I was able to convince hubby to get a cat -- to get any mice that might think our home looks like a good home for them) Field mice go into ANY home -- clean or not -- so this is no bearing on you and your housekeeping. Keep an eye for any signs of the critters. Its common at this time of year for such a thing to happen.

micki76
01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Nope haven't figured it out yet. It's definitely coming from the disposal, though. :(

Tomorrow, I'll go get some lemons and some more vinegar and try all your suggestions. I've already pulled the rubber flap thing out and cleaned that. :eek: Didn't help.

You know Kim, we have a dead something in our wall at work. I heard it trying to climb up the wall one day and then a couple of days later, peeeeeeeeewwwww. We can't get rid of the smell. It's sickening, and it's in a bathroom wall. I have had to use the men's room a time or two. :( :eek: Not as stinky, but scary in it's own right.

Kfamr
01-17-2005, 08:47 PM
I just asked my dad...

He said to try and put ice cubes down there and run the garbage disposal.

sammy101
01-17-2005, 09:06 PM
have you tried cleaning it with Bleach!? Bleach works good to clean lots of stuff,and gets rid of smells.