PDA

View Full Version : Sharing email addresses

slick
01-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Just a thought about security...

You probably don't know about this but many, many of your email addresses are in my address book. Why, you ask?

I've received emails that have been forwarded to me and the original recipients email addresses are retained in the text. Copy and paste and guess what, your email address has now been shared without you knowing about it.

For some of you, your email address is as private as your SIN number and maybe you only want a few Pet Talkers to have it. Me? I don't care who has my email address. Just ask and I'll give it to you. I have my PM's and email address blocked for a particular reason, but I do prefer to correspond by email.

The answer is simple. When forwarding emails, delete the addresses from the text. You can also use the BCC option in email and that way the recipient will not be able to see who else you sent it to.

Hey, I work in IT.......what can I say??

Randi
01-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Vickie, I SO agree with you on this!! It's annoying to see someone forward an e-mail to you, and along with your adress, lots of other adresses appear. I have asked my friends to please not do that. I suppose a lot don't know about it, or just don't think. Great you posted about it! :)

dukedogsmom
01-17-2005, 09:34 AM
I totally agree! I've only given my email address to a few people here and I wouldn't appreciate it being forwarded and forwarded again. That is my main email address. Maybe I should make one just for PT? I have one for spam and signing up for various sites to play games. It gets loaded with spam every day!

moosmom
01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Slick,

I agree! I get all SORTS of junk in my email. Unless I recognize the person sending it, I delete it immediately!!!

jenfer
01-17-2005, 10:07 AM
i ALWAYS deleted the email info from the person who sent me stuff if i choose to fwd it to someone else and i definitely use BCC all the time. i have filters in my email, so a lot of unwanted emails goes to my junk, so it's not as out of hand.

Cataholic
01-17-2005, 10:57 AM
You know, I had never thought about this before. I will now! PS, Slick, can I have your email address? He he he...

petslover
01-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Speaking of e-mails. I always get e-mails.. I know its a virus and I know ya'll aren't sending them. but from many pt'ers here. i think it comes from the address that ya'll sign up with or something. it sends to me and wants me to download the same thing. i know its ya'lls cause some of ya'lls screennames are written in the email. its strange how a virus can do that.

slick
01-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
You know, I had never thought about this before. I will now! PS, Slick, can I have your email address? He he he...
I'm at work right now...when I get home tonight, I'll PM it to you.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Slick,

I agree! I get all SORTS of junk in my email. Unless I recognize the person sending it, I delete it immediately!!!

So do I!! I have one address that I use for forums and other stuff, and another more private address. That first one gets loaded with spam every day :mad: ; have to empty it every day if I don't want to get a "full-box"!! One thing I don't understand, is that I get so much sex-related e-mails, although I have NEVER ever been to sex-web-site in my whole life!!:mad: