PDA

View Full Version : World's Oldest Mother Gives Birth...at 67!!!

popcornbird
01-16-2005, 04:36 PM
YIKES!!!!! :eek:

I can't imagine a 67 year old woman having a baby. :o What do you all think of this story? Wow...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/01/16/romania.mother.ap/index.html

'World's oldest mother'... at 67
Sunday, January 16, 2005 Posted: 3:54 PM EST (2054 GMT)

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) -- A 67-year-old Romanian woman gave birth Sunday to a baby girl, making her the world's oldest recorded mother, hospital officials said.

Adriana Iliescu was artificially inseminated. The child's twin sister was stillborn, Romanian doctors at the Giulesti Maternity Hospital in Bucharest said.

Iliescu's daughter -- who has not yet been named -- was delivered by cesarean section early Sunday, more than six weeks short of a full 40-week pregnancy term, said a hospital spokeswoman.

She weighed just 1.45 kilograms (3.19 pounds), less than half the weight of an average newborn, and was in the intensive care unit but breathing on her own, the spokeswoman said.

"The mother is doing well -- she is saying she has been given a new lease of life," the spokeswoman said, reading from a statement.

Doctors performed the emergency cesarean section after the smaller of Iliescu's twins died in the womb, a hospital spokeswoman said. That child weighed just 700 grams (1.54 pounds), the spokeswoman said.

Iliescu underwent fertility treatment for nine years, including procedures to reverse the effects of menopause, before being artificially inseminated, the head doctor at the hospital, Bogdan Marinescu, was quoted as saying by the private Mediafax news agency.

Guinness World Records lists two 63-year-old women who have given birth: Rosanna Della Corte of Italy in 1994 and Arceli Keh of California in 1996. News reports, however, have put Della Corte's age at 62 when she gave birth.

Nomilynn
01-16-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Sometimes I think that mother nature shoudln't be messed with. This woman is 67yrs old.. at the age of 20 this kid will be lucky to still have a mother. Somehow it just doesn't seem fair to the child.

Tonya
01-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't think it is right. I think it is very selfish and unfair to the child. I can see if it all happened naturally, but she went against nature to get pregnant with that baby. That child will not have the hands on physical upbringing from mom that she deserves.

LabradorLover
01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I agree with Tonya. The poor child...her mom probaly wont be around to raise her properly, by the time she is 15 the mom will be 82 :(

popcornbird
01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep...I agree. I think its unfair to the child too. How would a 67 year old have the energy to raise a needy baby...and spend time with her as she grows? She'll be 20 and her mom will be 87...if she's still alive.

CamCamPup33
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
:eek: WOW! That's really odd..

I agree that it's not fair to the child. :( Sad.

moosmom
01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
:eek: :eek:

Diaper changes, midnight feeding, collick at the age of 67??? Lemme think about that...Uh, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

That means when the kid turns 20, she'll be 87??? That's sheer insanity!! :rolleyes:

That woman has to be outta her mind!! Artificially inseminated. She's definitely got a few screws loose.

All I can say is, BETTER HER THAN ME!!

kt_luvs_kitties
01-17-2005, 12:46 AM
I had a teacher my senior year, and she was like i dunno 56. Her husband was 60. They had their first baby when her husband was 58. I asked her when she got preggy a second time, "why would you want to have another baby at such a late time" she answered, "because I know that me and my husband are not going to be around much longer, and I dont want them to be alone, atleast they will have each other". I thought to myself, how very very selfish. This story brings the same thought to me, what a selfish and cruel thing to make your child go through. I could not imagine doing that to a child.
PS- my teacher also had to have artificial insemination also:rolleyes:

shais_mom
01-17-2005, 12:56 AM
that is crazy and the doctor that helped her should be under investigation :mad:

joycenalex
01-17-2005, 07:11 AM
my first thought was...what a crazy woman, now my second was....great! now before i do any xrays on a 70 year old woman, i gotta ask if they are pregnant too! i KNOW the medical physicist at work will have a memo out today! ;)

RICHARD
01-17-2005, 01:09 PM
I just hope the incision was a bikini 'cut'..

Imagine showing up at the pool with an angry red scar peeking over your bathing suit bottoms.....:confused:

cookieluver7
01-17-2005, 03:42 PM
That poor, poor child. :( That is so terrible. Why would any woman want to have a child at such and old age. That poor little girl will be in my prayers, and I hope that her mother lives to be an old age, just so she can spend time with her daughter. :( :( :(

Twisterdog
01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
This is a terribly selfish thing to do. My parents were in their 40's when I was born. It was not planned, BTW. Now, I am in my 30's, and my dad is 80 and my mom is 75. Before I turn 40, I'm sure I will be caring for my parents full-time. That is not fair. And it is also not fair that I will get to have them with me for only half my life, and my son will be extremely lucky if they see him graduate from high school. And this woman's situation is so much more extreme. She has started right off from day one as a bad mother, IMO.

lizbud
01-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Read an account of this here,

http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/17/1105810800439.html?oneclick=true

The woman is a retired professor and as she said " could not
resign myself to never having a child"

As for me, Never in a million years would I want that responsibility at the age of 67 years.

dukedogsmom
01-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Liz, I've got you beat. I wouldn't want it at all. I don't know why she chose to do this but she's too old and I think she's doing the children a great injustice.

lizbud
01-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Liz, I've got you beat. I wouldn't want it at all. I don't know why she chose to do this but she's too old and I think she's doing the children a great injustice.

Val,

I was excited and happy to have a child at 23 yrs, but at her
age, no way. What amazes me is that she waited so long to act.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Gee Whiz! She and her baby will both be in diapers together. That's too much togetherness!

I hope they did a mental evaluation on both her and her doctor!
Sounds like they both have a few screws loose.
The poor baby!

carole
01-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I agree with the majority, it is selfish, I cannot imagine her having the energy for a young child, my mother is 70 and believe me she could not do it in a million years, and would not want to, crazy.

I had my daughter at 35, and that sometimes seems too old for me, because now I am 47 and she is only 12, also her friends mother's are all ten years younger than me,and I feel I lack the energy and patience she needs, I feel just too old sometimes, and in reality I am not.

Vio&Juni
01-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Let me not agree with all of you. How is this unfair to the child? She's given the most precious thing - life! There are so many younger mothers that do not live to see their children at 15 or 20yo. And so many others that would spend their energy on anything else than the child. I think it's only their decision and I am happy for them.

PJ's Mom
01-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by carole
I had my daughter at 35, and that sometimes seems too old for me, because now I am 47 and she is only 12, also her friends mother's are all ten years younger than me,and I feel I lack the energy and patience she needs, I feel just too old sometimes, and in reality I am not.

That's probably the only good thing that comes from having your kids young. I had my first at 19, my second at 20 and my twins at 21. While it's not fun having to grow up with your kids, at least I had (and still have) the energy to keep up with them. I don't see how this poor woman will be able to do much with her child and I hope she has someone to help her.

carole
01-20-2005, 11:24 PM
All I can say is I had my first child when I was much younger 24, and I sure as heck know the difference in my energy levels, level of tolerance etc, and my health was in far better shape then as well.

It is all very well to say that she gave that child the most precious thing LIFE itself, but the quality of life is what is important I think. JMO, I cannot imagine she will be any different to any other 67 year old, she just won't have the energy simple as that, unless she has a lot of extra help., still sticking to my guns, it is selfish.

Twisterdog
01-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
Let me not agree with all of you. How is this unfair to the child? She's given the most precious thing - life! There are so many younger mothers that do not live to see their children at 15 or 20yo. And so many others that would spend their energy on anything else than the child. I think it's only their decision and I am happy for them.

Yes, there are certainly times when younger mothers do not do a good job of raising their kids, give them up, or die young in accidents, etc.

However, this woman KNOWS she is not going to live to see much, if any of her child's adult life. And she consciously made that selfish choice.

She will be 85 years old when this child graduates from high school, if she even lives that long. She will most likely not live to see her daughter graduate from college, get married or have children of her own. She will most likely not be able to play tag or chase with this child. When this child should be getting ready for her junior prom, she might be staying home changing her elderly mother's diapers instead. Or instead of choosing a college, she might be choosing a nursing home.

The thing that makes this tragic is that this woman chose to do this, knowing full well that she will not be in her daughter's life very long. It's not a "maybe, maybe not" situation ... this woman WILL be dead before her daughter reaches her 30's.

carole
01-23-2005, 01:58 AM
You raised excellent points Twisterdog, and I am 100 per cent in agreement with you, I Mean my own mother is only three years older than this woman, I can just imagine her raising a newborn infant NOT!!,and don't get me wrong My Mother is a great person, but she is simply past her baby raising days, it is actually very sad for the child IMO.

luckies4me
01-23-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree with everyone. That is a horrible selfish thing to do to a child. When my mom turned 40 she talked about having another child. I just would not be able to deal with that. One reason I had Dylan so young was so I could actually do things with him. This lady makes me so angry! I feel so bad for the child. What a terrible thing to do through. =(

IRescue452
02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Last year in a town near mine there was a grandparent watching their grandchild and the grandparent fell asleep in a chair. The 3-year-old was found wondering down the street. I don't think many people have grandparents watch their children anymore. What happens to the child when she is home with this baby and has a stroke and nobody finds her until she is dead a week later?

cocker_luva
02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
yuck

Laura's Babies
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
I planned to and had ALL my children before I was 30... I felt that at 30, a woman would not have the energy and everything it takes to run after a small child.

Fast forward 30+ years and I now see MY daughter keeping her grandchild and I think to my self "I SURE AM GLAD THAT IS NOT ME!" I could NOT handle a baby/small child. I am nowhere near that womans age.....well, I reckon I am closer than most of you and I can tell you... NOW WAY! That would be my worst nightmare.

I DO however, enjoy my grandchildren and now my great grandchildren.... But they are only here a little while, then they go home! She should have planned her life better so she could be enjoying her grandchildren now...

Vio&Juni
02-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
She should have planned her life better so she could be enjoying her grandchildren now...

As you well know, life is not always as you plan. She wanted to have children all her life and only now the medicine gave her the chance.

I'll be 30 this May, and of course, there's not enough time to have ALL my children by 30 y.o. I'll take my chance to be less energetic but still have kids, even if others won't agree with that.