PDA

View Full Version : I may say fare well to it here

mei
01-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I only come here several days,but I think that I am not fit it here,so should I said fare well??

Yes,I have learned 10 years English on book,I don't know why must we should learn it,my Chinese is immense!!We try hard to learn and learn it again,but overpassed 10 years now,I still can't use it smoothly,how stupid!!

I came here wanted to improve my English,but I think that my poor English may often lead to misunderstandings.I don't want to hurt anyone or make somebody uncomfortable.

English is not my major,we never have a foreign teacher,never said a word with foreigner.Oh, I go near to forget it, last years a foreigner asked me where could he got hot water,I told him that I don't know.what a ironical thing to be a student who have learned English 10 years but can't use it for intercourse!

Maybe I will come back last year or never,I don't know now.I plan to learn German or Japanese.because I have German friends,they will teach me and talk to me. Janpanese is resemble Chinese,it may not difficult for me.

Sorry,I really don't know what I am saying,just goodbye.:( :( :(

Karen
01-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I think you fit in here very well. I know you have been here for a short time, but we know you love animals. We understand that English is not your first language. In fact, we would all be willing to help you with any questions about English that you have.

There are people here whose first language is German, Moldovan, Spanish, and other non-native English speakers. It is okay with us! And I have been speaking English my whole life, and still make mistakes, especially typing mistakes.

We love having you here. I hope you decide to stay!

When I was in Beijing, many people there were learning English, but I only knew a few words of Mandarin, so I felt bad about that. But everyone was very nice to us any way. I hope we at Pet Talk can return the favor, and be nice to you!

Uniqueviking
01-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Aww, Mei, I think you should stay.

Don't feel bad. More than a few of us don't have English as a first language. Actually, English is my 3rd language.

I have no problems understanding what you post, and you'll soon get used to using the language again.

:)

Kater
01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with what Karen has said. Please don't leave Pet Talk, Mei!

I have studied Mandarin for nearly 8 years now and your English is probably quite a bit better than my Mandarin! :o

You can always PM me if you have any translation questions. I would be happy to help! :D

I really hope you decide to stay. :)

AmberLee
01-16-2005, 01:33 AM
I too hope that you decide to stay. I can't really imagine your frustration trying to communicate in a very tough language... but you do communicate well.

Warm regards,
Amber L.

mei
01-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Kater
I agree wholeheartedly with what Karen has said. Please don't leave Pet Talk, Mei!

I have studied Mandarin for nearly 8 years now and your English is probably quite a bit better than my Mandarin! :o

You can always PM me if you have any translation questions. I would be happy to help! :D

I really hope you decide to stay. :)

You can speak and write Mandarin??

I am sorry, just my poor English dismay me

green_chameleon_girl
01-16-2005, 01:44 AM
I also think you fit in perfect! we could possibly help you with your english skills!:D So please dont leave Mei!!:)

Kater
01-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Yes, I can speak, write and read Mandarin. :D

NoahsMommy
01-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Mei,

While its up to you, I don't think you should leave either. Any language is hard to learn if you don't have the opportunity to use it. I think this is a very good place to practice when you can't in person. :)

Like UniqueViking said, there are many people here who do not use English as their first language and do just fine here.

I do hope you stay. :)

Take care,
Kelly

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-16-2005, 04:42 AM
I agree with everybody here too! English is my 3rd language too. I am sure I make many mistakes, but nobody on PT ever laughed at me because if that!! Keep posting, your English might not be perfect, but I always understand what you say!!!He he, I am even proud to have a Chinese member on our forum!! Don't go, Mei!!:) :)

Logan
01-16-2005, 06:08 AM
Some of us with English as a first language screw it up sometime too! :o Mei, please don't leave. Your posts are very easy for me to understand, as I'm sure they are for the others. I think you're doing great!!

Logan

dukedogsmom
01-16-2005, 06:19 AM
I think you've been doing great! I envy those of you that know more than one language. All I know is English. You need to give yourself time, is all.

slleipnir
01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
I think you're doing great as well. If you want help with english, I believe this is a good place to help you learn :)

I BELIEVE Jenfer speaks Chinese? (I could be wrong)

carole
01-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Mei you have not been here very long, so don't give up so soon and leave, you are doing just fine, we are all pet lover's and seriously we understand if you have a few problems with the language, I think most people are more interested in you, your family and pets, I know I sure am.

Hey I only know one language, and that is English, I think you are very clever, the more you practice it, the better you will get, personally I have no trouble with your posts, so chin up and please stay, you are very welcome here, maybe you can teach us all some chinese, now that would be cool.:)

moosmom
01-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Mei,

I think you're doing great! It takes time, so please give it a while. I love reading your posts. We are all here because we love our animals. It's a very special bond. No matter HOW you say it, we understand!! ;)

QueenScoopalot
01-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Mei, I would be sad if you left too. :( English is the hardest language in the world to study, and I think you're doing terrific so far! ;) I've enjoyed your posts, and LOVED the panda pictures, and hope you'll stay on Pettalk. It's about the love for our pets, and not the way we speak. Kater has made a wonderful offer (as have others) to help you speak, and write better English, but you're doing fine as it is. :)

jenfer
01-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I am Chinese as well, I speak Cantonese and I know some Mandarin... and I can read perfectly (I am always proud of my Chinese!). I can understand the difficulty of English not our mother language. I live in America 10+ years now and my English can be still weird at times, but as long as people can understand you, that's ok. lol. Language is something that need practice for it to be good. This is a good place to practice. :) If you need to talk, you can PM me (in chinese if you want. heehee)
如æœä½_有需è¦ï¹å¯ä»¥PM我。

Uabassoon
01-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Mei I really hope you don't leave us. The best way to learn a language is to use it! I think your English is impressive and you are doing a great job with the language. One of my favorite things about being online is meeting people from different parts of the world.

gini
01-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, I think this is settled. You are not going to leave! and that is that!:D

The way you write in English does not dismay any of us at all. I think you do a great job and I have enjoyed your posts and what you have to say.

It will be our loss if you do leave, so please don't.

mei
01-17-2005, 02:56 AM
All of you are inspire me, thanks very much!

I am ashamed that I have said something stupid:o ,I found that people who love animals are warmhearted,no matter where they are come from.

:) :)

Okay,I resolved to stay here and try my best to improve me English.I really love it here and love all of you,you are so kind.I will take the exam 5 days ago,prayers for me please.

p.s:
jenfer:I can speak Cantonese too:) ,I speak Cantonese and Mandarin only 9 years,before then I spoke åœ°æ–¹è¯ which similar to Contonese.

Kater and jenfer,do you have MSN? My MSN is [email protected]
will you add me? or I will PM you
Everyone can add me when you are want to talk to me,though I have decided to stay here.

Thank you!!!

Randi
01-17-2005, 05:53 AM
Mei, I have only just seen this, and I am happy that you have decided to stay. :) I'm sure everyone here can understand you, even if you make some mistakes. ;) My first language is not english either, so I am also learning more. :)

mruffruff
01-17-2005, 07:47 AM
I admire every one of you who do not call English your first language!

I have no trouble understanding any of the posts. And this is a great place to practice.

We're all glad to have you:D

Mary

lynnestankard
01-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Glad you decided to stay Mei - I'm so impressed by the many people on Pet Talk who's first language isn't English.
Don't be afraid of making mistakes we get the idea of what you want to say.
It's lovely to have you here as part of our Pet Talk family.

Lynne

kimlovescats
01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Glad you have decided to stay! Please post often, so we can ALL learn!;)

Kim

cookieluver7
01-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Mei~

Glad you decided to stay! You are an amazing person and are wonderful at speaking it!! Thanks for staying! I know that each and every person here are very happy you are staying. By the way, please let us know how you did on your exam. ;)

prechrswife
01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
I just saw this. I am so glad that you have decided to stay.:)

lovemyshiba
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
So glad you decided to say:)

You made a great point, that animal lovers are all wonderful, no matter where we're from.

I can only speak English and a little French, but if you ever have any English questions feel free to pm me.

Queen of Poop
01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
I've just seen this post, we were away at a hockey tournament all weekend. Mei, I am glad you have decided to stay and practice your english with us.

CountryWolf07
01-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm glad you decided to stay! :) We all will help you out with English. I also know American Sign Language too as well

carole
01-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Mei great to hear you are going to stay here with us, a decision I am sure you will not regret, remember English is one of the hardest languages to learn, as you can see I am from New Zealand, and we spell differently from the American people, we tend to follow the English in many ways, example, color, we spell it colour, and of course we have different sayings, so how confusing is that? your command of the language is fine, I also have no problem understanding you.

Cheers and keep those posts coming ok.
:)

aki
01-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Mei, I know how you feel. I have been studying Spanish for years and still don't feel very comfortable having a conversation with someone. Even though I probably know a lot, I am afraid to make a mistake or upset someone. But I have found that almost everyone is really understanding and appreciates the fact that I am trying. I am really glad that you are going to stay!
((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

~Aki

mei
01-18-2005, 04:12 AM
Thanks all of you,you are encourage me,thank you!!
I will do my best:) :)
(((hugs)))

lynnestankard
01-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Your best is GREAT!!

Lynne

mina'smomma
01-18-2005, 11:14 AM
mei you do a wonderful job. I've spent the last ten years trying to learn French and can only say hi, bye and how are you? Don't feel bad.

I hope you will stay.