PDA

View Full Version : Hmapster loose locked in room with cat all day!

Buddy2101
10-10-2001, 05:06 PM
My hampster Aspen chewed his way out of his cage today and got loose. I was at school and had no idea. Well I finally found him and he was behind my desk. I pulled it out and this big board fell right where he was! :eek: I was so scared something happened to him! Then When I picked up the bored he wasn't there. Thank god :rolleyes: he scared me to death. Well while this all was going on my cat was across the room. Well being the kitty she is she started to howl I ignored her figureing she just wanted food or somehitng and keept on lookin for him untill she bit me and thats when I snaped around and she was lookin at something on the floor, and you will never guess who it was...................

Logan
10-11-2001, 12:36 AM
Scary, scary!!! Aspen!!! You are following in the footsteps of every hamster I have ever had!! Rusty, who has now passed on, escaped a couple of times....and he certainly made me wish that I was a more organized person!! But we found him luckily, every time, even when the cat was in the house with him!

Phoebe and Evelyn escaped multiple times too! Since we went with aquariums, rather than wire cages, our escapes have diminished to zero. Although with an aquarium, the hamster can escape briefly when a diligent DOG is around! We lost our precious Evelyn because of this problem.

Please be careful, Buddy. Use clothespins to seal all exits from the cage, and CLOSE the door when you aren't there. You might even consider stuffing a towel under the door to keep the hamster from escaping the room, even if your cat can't get in! :eek: Be careful!!

Daisy's Mom
10-11-2001, 09:07 PM
My hamster Ritz was an escape artist too! One time he popped his water bottle out and chewed a hole in the plastic cage and squeezed out of a tiny hole! We didn't even know he was missing that time until we found his clue. We had vacuumed the room the day before, and in the morning next to the couch was a pile of dust. We were confused about where it came from since the room had just been cleaned, when we realized Ritz was missing! We lifted up the couch and he had chewed a hole in the lining and was taking a nap! The pule of dust bunnies was from him squeezing under the couch and kicking the dust out! He escaped two other times. Once we found him in out heater (thank God it was in the summer!) and the other time he just crawled over my feet!

Eudora
10-12-2001, 11:14 PM
will that happen a lot? i am thinking of getting a dwarf hamster but if it will escape all over i don't think it will be very safe as if it escapes Tanya may chase it.

Daisy's Mom
10-13-2001, 09:56 PM
Eudora, it can happen, but it won't if you are careful enough and escape-proof the hamster's cage. And keep your fingers crossed that you don't get an escape artist!

Eudora
10-13-2001, 11:05 PM
How do you escape proof a cage? Especially for a dwarf hamster. My friend said that since they are so small it is easier for them to escape.

Daisy's Mom
10-14-2001, 10:02 PM
Well it would be different for every cage... for example, if you use jsut a glass aquarium, you have to make sure you have a cover, and that the cover fits tightly on top. I think aquariums would be the most escape-proof kind of cage for a dwarfie.

Eudora
10-15-2001, 02:27 AM
Thanks! Will tell you when I have bought that hamster. Any ideas for a name?