PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Queenie

pipersmom
01-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Queenie
born approx. 1993 - died 1/12/05

Dear Sweet Queenie Girl,

It took Dad several trips back to that lonely mountain road where he first spotted you in 1995, to finally earn your trust enough to coax you into his truck. We don’t know how long you had been there, but the spot in the grass was dead where you lay, so we surmised you had been there a while. Dad found bowls, indicating that you had survived due to a kind someone putting food and water out for you.

We didn’t know your history or how old you were. We could only speculate that perhaps a hunter had lost you. You were, after all, a blue tick hound with ragged ears. You were so afraid, at first. You would bare your teeth in false bravado, only to turn into a ball of mush when you realized the hand coming toward you wanted not to strike you, but to pat your head or rub your belly. You never seemed to truly believe that you would never go hungry again. Even until the day before you died, Dad said you ate as ravenously as ever, as if the food would disappear if you didn’t eat it in a hurry. I found it so sad, that those memories of an empty tummy never quite left you.

Thank you, old girl, for being a steadfast and true presence in my Daddy’s life for ten good years. You were his best buddy. Especially after Mom went to the nursing home last year, the bond between you and Dad grew even stronger. It’s as if you sensed his loneliness and knew what to do to help. Dad would often tear up over recent months and say, “There will never be another one like old Queen.”

I heard the news last night when I made my weekly call to dad. As usual, I asked “How are my babies?” Dad’s voice cracked as he said, “Old Queen passed peacefully yesterday. I buried her out under the big tree where she liked to lay.” For several minutes we didn’t say a word…just sat there and cried together.

Your puppy buddy Jake, who adored you but drove you insane, didn’t understand. Dad said he kept licking your mouth, trying to get you up and moving like he always did over the past year. Jake will miss you too.

Rest now, old girl, and watch over Dad and comfort him if you can. His house and heart feel especially empty now with you and Mom gone. He loves Jake, but you were his girl.

Good girl, Queen-Queen, good girl.

slick
01-14-2005, 10:10 AM
:( :( I'm so sorry for the loss of sweet Queenie. Your Dad is a true angel for rescuing this poor girl and what a life she finally had; getting all the love she deserved.

RIP Queenie and enjoy your time among the sweet grasses of the RB.

hugs
slick

K9soul
01-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Oh my, I have tears streaming down my cheeks after reading that. What a beautifully written tribute to dear sweet Queenie. Slick said it well, your Dad was truly an angel for rescuing this lost and hungry soul and taking her into his heart. I know his grief must run deeply at losing his wonderful friend and companion. Rest in peace, dear Queenie. Play and romp at the Bridge, where you can finally forget your fear of going hungry, and run young and strong again with the other pets of our hearts.

micki76
01-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh, goodness. :( That was such a beautiful tribute. Like Jessica, I'm crying now.

Godspeed, Queenie. You sure sound like you were one special girl, and I know your Daddy will miss you terribly. :(

cloverfdx
01-14-2005, 11:51 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, Queenie sounded like one special dog. I too am in tears :(.

Playhard at the bridge Queenie.

:(

ramanth
01-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

RIP Queenie.

LorraineO
01-14-2005, 01:14 PM
So sorry to hear of Queenies passing.....

pipersmom
01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks all. I'll print these out and take them to my Dad. He will enjoy knowing that I told everyone about his good girl.

Sudilar
01-14-2005, 04:16 PM
What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog. My heart goes out to your Dad. Tears filled my eyes also. Hugs.

delidog
01-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Oh,I will type this through my tears for You Dear Queenie...and your Wonderful Dad...

Rest in Peace,Under Your Favorite Tree Dear Queenie!!!

Know How MUCH you were Loved in your Life..Dear One...

Godspeed to The Rainbow Bridge Dear Queenie...

Cincy'sMom
01-16-2005, 09:10 AM
What a wonderful tribute!! RIP dear Queenie. What a sweet girl you were!

TrixiesMom
01-16-2005, 03:44 PM
*cries*

So while Mom is cooking pyrogies, I thought I would come here and check in.. now I'm blubbering like a baby...

Rest well, Queenie, and play hard... Look for a Munchkin cat named Smudgie, he loved to play with dogs..

tatsxxx11
01-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Oh dear, I can't stop crying:(:(:( Good girl, Queenie, good girl. Despite your harsh beginnings, you brought so much joy and comfort and inspiration to this world during your lifetime and your light, though dimmed, will shine forever brightly in the hearts of all who knew you, who were privileged to have shared your love, loyalty and friendship. Look down on your Papa and comfort him until you are together once more. He needs you now more than ever. Bless your beautiful, precious soul, dear Queenie. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star