PDA

View Full Version : Rutherford

jenluckenbach
01-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Rutherford would like to ask for a little sympathy. He has a bad bladder infection, needs to be segregated from the others (so I can monitor his "pee" output) and will be taking pills for 2 weeks. He got squeezed by the vet for a urine sample (OUCH) and then got a nasty old shot in the arm (antibiotics). He is now sulking in his little room wondering what he did to deserve all this.....

WHY???

This morning I noticed Rutherford doing the litter box hop....you know, when they go in one, then another, then another. So of course I had to check out the results and there was a little spritz of urine instead of the normal pee biscuit. Then he comes out of the box and does the licky- licky. CALL VET.... UTI....seen it before.

Poor guy's urine was loaded with bacteria, but thankfully no crystals. Poor baby. :(

kimlovescats
01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Oh beautiful Rutherford... I am so sorry you are feeling bad and feeling punished, but meommy is taking excellent care of you. Extra rubbies and kissies for you sweet boy!;)

catnapper
01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Poor Rutherford! Make sure you give him extra tummy rubs to help make him feel better!

moosmom
01-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Poor little Rutherford! Feel better and please take your meds so you can get well soon!!

Prairie Purrs
01-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Get well soon, Rutherford, you handsome fella! Your look-alike Kacey sends gentle headbumpies.

AmberLee
01-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Whew. At least there's no crystals... small mercies. Please pass on a smootchy from me and headbumpies from Cassy and Livvy.

slick
01-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Been there....done that!!! The signs are so obvious aren't they??
Prayers coming out to little Rutherford. Be a good boy now and take your pills willingly.

{{{HUGS}}} Jen.
slick
xo

sirrahbed
01-14-2005, 12:37 AM
awwwwww Rutherford - you sweet handsome boy...so sorry you are having to be separated right now. But, I bet a few days on antibiotics and your will be making pee Grand biscuits!:D

Killearn Kitties
01-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Oh no!! Not gorgeous Rutherford! Please pass along scritchies and headbumpies from us.

Be good, sweet boy, and you will be back with the others in no time!

Barbara
01-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Rutherford,

Tigris here: I've been doing that thing lately- going to the box all the time and my mom was not happy. It was not a nice feeling, all burning and hurting and even licking did not help.

My mom brought me to the TERRIBLE BUTCHER'S HOUSE and I even had to stay one night. I told them all as loudly as I could this was not ok but they did not listen.
Happily I survived although they put needles in me!!!!!

Then I got the HORRIBLE PILLS. I got them with liver pate which in itself is a good thing but I always smelled a rat. My dad who is my special friend held me while my mom was putting that poisonous stuff in. I will never understand why because I am a good kitty.

But I tell you something- I can pee now that it sounds like a waterfall and am very proud of it. Plus it doesn't hurt anymore. So maybe there is a good thing in all that ordeal.

Hang on boy! I keep my paws crossed for you.

Your buddy Tigris

Vio&Juni
01-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Poor Rutherford. Good think you caught it in time, Jen.

jenluckenbach
01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
I am taking my poor Rutherford back to the vet's right now. Still only dribbles.....and he is doing it ALL over (probably hates that old litter box....it hurts in there)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Oh no, poor Rutherford! Hope you get better soon, big guy. Those nasty UTIs are just [b]no[b] fun!

NoahsMommy
01-14-2005, 04:08 PM
:( Poor baby, I was hoping he was getting better.

Let us know how his visit goes when you get back.

Gentle kisses to Rutherford. ♥

jenluckenbach
01-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Rutherford is at the hospital. :(:(:(:(

He is blocked. :eek:

As they say, you learn something new every day. He has NO crystals, so I asked "How could he be blocked?" Most likely a mucous plug. Never heard of such a thing. The vet says that THIS is the way cats USED to get blocked more frequently than with stones, but with all the new diets you see it less than crystals (I didn't ask for more details...............)

So he needs to be catheterized (sp?) Because I have rescue facilities and experience, he can come home with the catheter in tomorrow. He will need to be caged and watched. He will need his antibiotics and fluids (sub-Q). He will have the catheter removed Monday. If he was not able to come home with me he would need to stay at the vet's for that amount of time.

Pray for us both.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Rutherford. Poor you! :(

I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers for both of you all weekend so hopefully when he's "unplugged" on Monday everything will be ok for him. I'm so glad you have the experience to be able to bring him home. I'm sure this will make it so much easier on both of you.

jenluckenbach
01-14-2005, 06:55 PM
All does not go as planned. :( Rutherfords blockage was so large that he could not be catheterized. But enough was loosened up that he was able to empty his bladder. Depending on how he does through the night might mean the difference between having that drastic surgery or not. (You know the one....they turn the HE-cat into a SHE-cat).

I think I am scared (usually I handle things quite well.) But I have had so many automotive expences lately that this is badly timed :eek: That, and I never had a cat go through this surgery before.

I miss Rutherford :(

slick
01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Big (((HUGS))) to you Jenny and I'll say a prayer for you and little Rutherford. :( :(

catcrazylady
01-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh Jen I'm so sorry for you and especially that poor handsome Rutherford. Please know that prayers are on the way that they can fix this and surgery won't be necessary.
{{{HUGS}}} to you Jen because I knwo how worried you must be and special tender {{{{HUGS}}}} to sweet Rutherford.

QueenScoopalot
01-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Sending ((HUGS)) for worried meowmie, and purrayers for Rutherford. Hope the vet can un-block him and avoid the P.U surgery. :( :( Hang in there, and keep us posted.

catnapper
01-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh no!!! I am so shocked to hear this! Poor Rutherford!

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you and prayers for Rutherford.

kimlovescats
01-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Although I know he is still uncomfortable, I am glad to know that he was able to empty and relieve some of that horrible pressure! Prayers coming that he will heal quickly and for you to be strong during this difficult time!

Kim;)

Grace
01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Sending prayers for Rutherford - and for you, Jen. Hopefully it will be an easy fix for him.

Prairie Purrs
01-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Lots of fingers and paws crossed here, hoping Rutherford won't have to have the surgery.

jazzcat
01-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh no, poor Rutherford.

We're sending prayers and positive thoughts your way Jen.

((HUGS))

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Rutherford.:( This almost sounds like the same thing that I went through with Storm except that he had scar tissue so he couldn't be catheterized. I know this is a very scary and traumatic time for you but he's in good hands and he'll be just fine. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. {{{HUGS}}}

AmberLee
01-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Sending healthy vibes to Rutherford and your car. *sad little wink* ~~~

Prayers winging at ya, too.

Barbara
01-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Jen, I keep my fingers crossed. However as a blockage is a very serious thing and can come again it is still worth thinking of the surgery. Tigris had no crystals and no urethral plug (that's Rutherford's thing), so he was not totally blocked.

I got great informations about the surgery from Phred. There is much info and links in Tigris' thread below.

Me too I hope Tigris can do without it but it is my fallback position if it doesn't work out with some cortisone from time to time.

All the best for you and Rutherford.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Poor Jen!! I will pray for your Rutherford!! Please, let the treatment help him asap!! Let us know how it all goes, okay?

catmandu
01-15-2005, 09:01 AM
All The Prayers,that we can muster,are coming,for Rutherford,and we pray,that the white Coats,can make him well.

ChrisH
01-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Oh, no, poor Rutherford. :( Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Hugs
Chris

Cincy'sMom
01-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Poor Rutherford :( I hope he is doingbetter, and that maybe something other then surgery can help him.

My best friend's Cornish Rex had to undergot he He-cat to a she-cat surgery about a year ago. He is doing very well ever since, and has not had another infection.

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Sending prayers for poor Rutherford for a quick recovery! (((HUGS))) Jen'!

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Jen, How is Rutherford doing today? I'm very worried about him.:(

lisalee
01-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Sending many thoughts and prayers to Rutherford.

jenluckenbach
01-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Rutherford is home (for now). No catheter and no surgery. He was able to pee on his own. They expressed his bladder this morning and gave him fluids and meds. A non-steroidal anti-imflamatory and antibiotics and pain killer. I am to cage him, express his bladder 2 times a day (if he doesn't go on his own), give fluids and his meds. Call the vet with a report on Monday and then I will know what is next.

The obstruction was NOT passed though so I am worried that he will block again. :( But I will be watching him like a hawk and the emergency vet is CLOSE!

Wish us both luck over this weekend.

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Jen, I'm glad to hear that he's back home and I know he's in great hands with you. Hopefully he'll be able to pass the obstruction soon and the meds will work so no surgery will be required. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.{{{HUGS}}}

rg_girlca
01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Oh Jen, sending big time prayers and positive thoughts your way that sweet Rutherford will come through this with flying colors.

BIG (((((HUGS))))) for you.

Vio&Juni
01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Poor Rutherford. We keep our fingers, tails, claws and whiskers crossed.

Barbara
01-16-2005, 05:15 AM
To watch him like a hawk- yes I know how this works. And you are able to express his bladder? I am glad I didn't have to do that. I would be so afraid of doing something wrong.

Good luck- and more positive thoughts on their way.:)

jenluckenbach
01-16-2005, 05:37 AM
And you are able to express his bladder? I am glad I didn't have to do that. I would be so afraid of doing something wrong.
That's the problem! (cries) I can't feel a thing! :(:( I don't know how :( I am so scared. I don't know if he is peeing enough. I am only suppose to give the Sub-Q fluids after his bladder is empty, but I can't tell. :( Needless to say, I am stressed. :(

Barbara
01-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Oh Jen I'm so sorry- I think you have to watch how often he goes. If he pees any, even small amounts (that's what Tigris did) he'll be ok. I am sure you also will see if he feels worse. Tigris got so very nervous, meowing quite a bit. I also had the acute days on holidays, so I know that feeling. If you don't know just head for the vet.
{{{Hugs}}}

Killearn Kitties
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Loads and loads of love and positive thoughts to Rutherford! I hope he is doing well tonight.

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Jen, I'm sorry that you're feeling so stressed but I sure can relate to what you're going through.
When I brought Storm home after his PU surgery, he was peeing quite well for the first day because he had a lot fluids in him. On Monday though I panicked because he didn't seem to be drinking anything and he wasn't peeing. I tried to feel his bladder to see if it was full or not but I couldn't feel anything. I had to end up bringing him to my vet and it turned out that his bladder wasn't very full. Even though the vet tried to show me how to palpate his bladder, I still couldn't feel anything.
Many more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.

catnapper
01-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Oh Jen, any news on how he is now? Any better?

jenluckenbach
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Rutherford seems to be FEELING ok. you can tell by his actions. But I still can't tell if his bladder is full or empty. He pees little nickel sized spots. I was told to report via phone to the vet tomorrow and it WILL be first thing in the morning

ChrisH
01-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh, Jen {hugs} keeping Rutherford and you in my thoughts and prayers.

CalliesMom
01-16-2005, 05:58 PM
I truly hope Rutherford feels better! Give kitty a kiss for me. :(

NoahsMommy
01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Awww, too bad he's still not feeling back to normal. :(

Please give him gentle kisses from me too.

jenluckenbach
01-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Rutherford is definitely in good spirits. And I am feeling a little less stressed. Even though I can still NOT feel his bladder I talked to a friend in the veterinary field and I fell that if his bladder WAS in need of emptying, I WOULD be able to feel it. So he must be moving enough urine, even if it is a little at a time. His little pee spots are frequent and getting slightly larger. he is eating well. And I only have to wait until tomorrow morning to call and ask the vet for my mext step.

On the OTHER hand, a certain Amber cat needed a butt bath tonight and ended up totally soaked and did a great job of cleaning my bathroom floor when she escaped the tub :eek:

AHHHH.....the joy of cats. :rolleyes:

rg_girlca
01-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh Jen, I so glad to hear that Rutherford is starting to make bigger pee biscuits.

Prayers and positive thoughts still on the way that he has a complete recovery.

That was so nice of Amber to help you clean the bathroom floor.:D

The joys of cats.....You wouldn't have it any other way Jen, now would you.;)

Hang in there girl...(((((HUGS)))))

BastetsMum
01-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Get well soon Rutherford :)

jenluckenbach
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
The joys of cats.....You wouldn't have it any other way Jen, now would you
You got that right ;) :D

My vet just called about Rutherford. (So I don't have to wait until morning to get her opinion.) She says all sounds normal and that (for now) we are doing all that we can.
If all goes well, the remainder of the mucous that was plugging him up will dissolve now that it is loosened.
Fluids for another week along with his antibiotics and hopefully no more talk of surgery (although it is still possible).

jazzcat
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Well that's positive news Jen. I sure hope the vet is right and it will dissolve and surgery won't be needed.

As for feeling his bladder I would think it would be kind of obvious if it's really full. I had to express my RB poodle when he became very ill. It was very easy to find and express and boy did Pepper look ever greatful. I had to do it for him several days before we finally had to put him down and I felt like a pro at it. My vet said Pepper had the equivilant to prostate cancer because I never had him neutered. Well he had been my vet all 11 years of Pepper's life, why didn't he recommend it???? BTW, this was back in 1992 way before I knew better.

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Jen, I'm so glad that Rutherford is beginning to do better and that he's making larger pee biscuits too.:) I sure hope that he's able to pass the mucus so he won't need surgery. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.:)

Barbara
01-19-2005, 04:12 AM
I hope Rutherford gets rid of the mucous. Am I right that he will need a special diet to prevent the plug from forming again?

I had the problem that Tigris wasn't drinking. After much trying with tuna (no interest), cat milk plus water (no interest), homemade salt free chicken broth (no interest) we found that we can add a little water to the wet food. Since then he is really peeing a lot, so all that rinsing of the urinary tract should work fine.

:)

Killearn Kitties
01-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Still thinking good thoughts for adorable Rutherford. Hope he doesn't need surgery.

jenluckenbach
01-19-2005, 05:45 AM
New thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69274)