PDA

View Full Version : Orangie female

kuhio98
01-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Today a friend told me that she and her husband are looking to adopt an orangie. They have a male tabby who does not like other males at all, so they are looking for a female. Which got me to thinking, I don't think I've ever seen an orangie female. Are orangies more commonly male?

catnapper
01-13-2005, 06:14 PM
We have a lot of PTers with orange females. CCL's Stubby, Jazzcats' Scout and Jenluckenbach's Amber ore just a few.

I do know that they are not at all like their mellow brothers though. They tend to have some serious attitude... oh female orangie moms, where are you? :D

sirrahbed
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Kim beat me to it. Callie occurs to me as well.

I have heard that males are much more common and have sweet dispositions.

We sure do have quite a few females here, though!! I will be interested to hear if the girlz have the same mellow attitude. Dylan's sweetie is Stubby and I can tell you she is NOT mellow:p Good thing Dylan likes them full of spitfire!!

neko1
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Don't forget about my Pumpkin

moosmom
01-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Orangie's have GREAT dispositions!! Male or female, although males are more common than females in that color.

sirrahbed
01-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by neko1
Don't forget about my Pumpkin
Yup, I just thought of Pumpkin!! Some other orange girlz too - Marigold, gini's Annie & Emma, Kim's Marmalade...I bet there are some I am forgetting!

I would like to hear more from orange female moms - about their dispositions though.

CalliesMom
01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Callie isn't very mellow...she is extremely demanding and into everything. She meows/cries constantly but she is absolutely perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better personality--none of my cats like back scratches (the real hard kind where you go up and down the spine) more than her, she does this sweet little noise whenever she is getting really good lovins' (rrrrooowwww), she loves to wrestle with her brother, run throughout the house at 4 AM and sound like a pack of wild horses..I so love her!

wolflady
01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Yes, 80% of the time orangies will be male, but the other 20% of the time they will be female. For an orangie to be female, the mother and the father need to be orange, whereas only one of the parents need only carry the orange gene for a male cat to be orange ;)

jenluckenbach
01-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Yup...80% of orangies are males. And female orangies..........well, let's just say they are not the lovable lunks their male counterparts are :rolleyes: (at least not the ones that I have met)

neko1
01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Pumpkin is a daddy's girl. She loves to sit in his lap and she also loves to ride on my shoulders. She starts to purr purr when you just talk to her!

But, she has her moods and can be quite the witch. She tends to get quite cranky around dinner time and proceeds to smack around the other cats if they get near her.:o

kuhio98
01-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys. We just got back from Adopt-a-Cat. Out of 140 kittes, there was not a single orange girl. I'll let her know not to give up hope. They are out there.

jenluckenbach
01-13-2005, 07:37 PM
She can have Amber! (shhhhhhh....don't tell Charlie) :p

jazzcat
01-13-2005, 08:04 PM
My Scout is an orange female and she is a real sweetie, to me, but I don't think anyone else in the house would agree. She tolerates Jazz, the kittens and my husband but she HATES Ripley and I do mean hates him. I just don't understand it.

manda_moo87
01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Theres a really cute orangie female at my local shelter... :) She's so beautiful.

http://www.spca.bc.ca/victoria/cats/Pigley4914.jpg

They had 2 others but they were just adopted. Its the first I've ever seen orange females around here.

Craftlady
01-13-2005, 09:39 PM
RB Butterscotch, sweetest dispostion I've ever known before Skinny, Thumper and Eleanor. :) Yes, males tend to dominate.

RedHedd
01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
My RB Goldie was an orange female, the sweetest, fun, funny, playful little girl ever. I miss her SO much! She did have a princess attitude too, but she was very friendly and outgoing, fearless, loved heights.

I didn't realize how rare orange females were until I lost her and went looking for another one .... which led me to my big boy Mishi. And now I know about orange males :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
I had a female orangie when I was a young girl and her name was Puff. Her mom was also orange and her grandmother was a calico. She had a lot of cattitude and as she got older she became much more moody. She'd go from being very loving to being very bitey and fiesty. It was like she was going through PMS all of the time.:eek:
I never realised how rare female orangies were until I heard about it here. Luckily when I was looking for an orangie, I wanted a male. The males have wonderful personalities. Sunny is my baby and is the goofy entertaining one although all of my boys can be quite goofy.:D Good luck. I hope that your friends will be able to find a female orangie.:)

Here's a picture of Puff.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p9b62e0a22c91f28a36f619d828a1196c/fcb96aca.jpg

rosethecopycat
01-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Yep, 80% males.

Not nearly as rare as a male calico, which usually makes the news.

My friend has an ALL orange girl, Punkin.

smokey the elder
01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
The pic of the orangie from the shelter looks like my RB Pixel! I have a foster orange female (Topaz) and have had a lot of orange female kittens. Orange cats are very common in my area. so there is a big enough gene pool to get orange females.

(You can get an orange female if momcat and dadcat both carry the orange gene. It's a one in four chance. Sophomore HS bio!:p )

ramanth
01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Good luck in their search! It did make me think and most orangies that I know in person are male. Interesting!

catmandu
01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
In my lifetime,I have only seen one Female Orangie,live,but I know,of the Pe Talker Orangie Girls,and Michael,Rosco,and Nugget,are setting,thier caps,for them.