PDA

View Full Version : Onyx is being nawtee!

AlleyCat
01-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Onyx, our 11 year old cat, has decided for the past 5 days to urinate on our bed, carpet and blankets ... I'm at a loss as whether to think she's being nawtee or suddenly has a urinary problem. She's off to the white coats tonight for a look. If you'll remember, she was very ill over Thanksgiving so she had all her bloodwork done and tested for diabetes as well, and everything was normal at that time. (Her bloodwork was SLIGHTLY elevated but the vet attributed that to her being so ill at that time, and was not normal results.) Has anyone else had sudden incontinence problems like this with their cats/kittens? There haven't been any changes to our household except for the arrival of Abby but that was more than 2 months ago. ...

Barbara
01-13-2005, 03:28 AM
To me it doesn't sound like behavioral. I'd check with the vet too.
Good luck for Onyx:)

I have one cat, Tigris (see below) who has UTD and one, Filou who from time to time pees for behavioral reasons. In the second case it is always somehow predictable: i.e. when my mom's dog is there or lots of visitors:(

Brandy7
01-13-2005, 05:03 AM
It does sound as if Onyx could have an infection. I hope she gets better soon.

My 18 month old calico, Kiki, will be nawtee from time to time and pee on the bed or some towels. She was a bit stressed when we first got our other cat, Charlie, and started doing it then. That stopped after the first month or so.

A couple of times we put it down to her being lazy, she spends most of the day on the bed and can't always make it outside, especially if it's raining! It's been a good few months since she last did it though.

My auntie has a problem with her 19 year old female which has started over the last few months. She found a herbal spray in the petshop which helped to put her cat off, but at that age it can't always be helped!

AlleyCat
01-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your input!
They ran a bunch of work on Onyx last night; no diabetes, no bladder infection. Their tests were inconclusive except they did find blood in her urine so they're thinking a bladder inflammation (different from an infection) .. She came home with antibiotics to ward off any infection, we'll see how things progress. I have to accept that she's 11, not that old yet but not getting any younger...

Barbara
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Bladder inflammation: that is the same iFLUTD as with Tigris. In 53,8% of the cases they do not find the reason (stones, infection) for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Diseases. Then they call it idiopathic (that's the i in the iFLUTD). It is parallel to human Idiopathic Cystitis.

The therapy may be cortisone as well (which keeps inflammations down). With Tigris (in whose case it was the urethra that was inflammed, but he also had blood in the urine) it is helping very well. I hope it is over when tomorrow he has gotten his last pill.

Good luck for Onyx girl- this is nothing that's due to her age.:)

NoahsMommy
01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh no!! Poor Onyx and poor you for having to deal with the cat pee on your bed! :(

I hope she feels better with her new meds.

Take care,
Kelly :)

AlleyCat
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I hope Tigris is doing better!

That's interesting that our vet didn't prescribe anything cortisone-related, only an antibiotic.

But so far, today, she has been very alert and NO accidents, so ..

NoahsMommy
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
How's she doing now? Any good changes?

Gentle kisses to Onyx. :)

AlleyCat
01-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Just an update ...
Since Onyx started those antibiotics, she's not had one single accident. Her bladder inflammation must be feeling much better now and she seems to be doing just fine :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2005, 10:45 PM
I missed this thread the first time but I'm so glad to hear that Onyx is feeling better and that the meds have helped her.:)

Barbara
01-23-2005, 12:02 PM
It's very important that the antibiotics are take for all their time, even if nothing occurs anymore. I hope they just do it for Onyx. For Tigris they helped one time but not the second. Now it's more than one week that he's through with the antibiotiics as well as with the pred and he is peeing great:D (We are watching him like hawks;) )
Tigris sends headbumpies to Onyx and says there is nothing like a good pee;)

paul_brum2003
01-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by MommyOf3cats
Onyx, our 11 year old cat, has decided for the past 5 days to urinate on our bed, carpet and blankets ... I'm at a loss as whether to think she's being nawtee or suddenly has a urinary problem. She's off to the white coats tonight for a look. If you'll remember, she was very ill over Thanksgiving so she had all her bloodwork done and tested for diabetes as well, and everything was normal at that time. (Her bloodwork was SLIGHTLY elevated but the vet attributed that to her being so ill at that time, and was not normal results.) Has anyone else had sudden incontinence problems like this with their cats/kittens? There haven't been any changes to our household except for the arrival of Abby but that was more than 2 months ago. ...
Snowball urinated the first time on the bed when she was sleeping with us for the first time but has not did it sence & we just thank she was marking her territory ---Maybe she is a little jealous of Abby.