PDA

View Full Version : 50 Car Pile Up on I-96

ramanth
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
My route home. *sighs*

I think they suspect the fog and speed were factors.

WLNS Channel 6 (CBS) updates (http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=2801314&nav=0RbPV7nA)

Police say at least 50 cars were involved in accidents between exits 110 (Okemos Road) and 117 (Williamston Road) on I96. Both east and westbound lanes are closed. Multiple injuries and at least one death reported. They are asking everyone to please avoid the area. We'll have more information as it becomes available.

:(

ramanth
01-12-2005, 03:45 PM
:( :(

Multiple injuries and at least two deaths reported.

Van reportedly rear-ended semi and cars continued to pile up. Fog blamed as factor in accident. Van driver reportedly didn't see semi in front of him.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
There was a 20 car pile-up around South Bend, IN today too, and I'm sure fog was a factor there also. I never know where Terry is going day to day, and he heads down that way a lot, so as soon as I heard this I had to call him. He didn't answer. I waited awhile and was just so worried it might be him that I called his boss to see if he had heard from him. He hadn't, but he at least knew what Terry's schedule was and thank goodness he was headed to Wisconsin instead of to Indiana.

This happens so often when it's foggy. People just don't realize they should really slow down when the fog is that thick. You might be able to see the car in front of you, but can you see the car in front of him? If not, what happens to you if he has to stop suddenly.

It's just a shame that people are always in such a durn hurry these days. :(

Hope your ride home isn't too bad - and drive safe.

cali
01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
we had a 50 car pile up last winter from the icey roads :( I had forgotten about it till now.