PDA

View Full Version : You can look-but keep you mouth closed!

RICHARD
01-12-2005, 03:05 PM
http://apod.nightmare.org/archivepix.html

Since we are looking so closely at the world under our feet for the last few weeks, I though a little looking up would distract everyone.

Oh-ing and Ah-ing is permitted, no flash photography and please keep your hands inside the car at all times!;)

LOLOL,

After about 5 minutes I had to close my mouth, THAT'S how good these pics are!!

cookieluver7
01-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Those pictures are AMAZING!!!:eek: :D

Freckles
01-12-2005, 04:00 PM
After you open the first picture, scroll to bottom. To the left of the word Archive is a link < . Click on that and each picture will open. Especially like Jan 4, 2005.:)

catnapper
01-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I had found many of those pictures a few years ago... my daughter had a project to do for science where she had to make a visual dictionary of all the different types of stars and gallexies, etc.

I actually saved that project for her because it was so cool. The images are stunningly beautiful.

catland
01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the reminder Richard. I used to check out the Astronomy Pics of the day back before I was hooked on PT. They also make great wallpaper.:D

QueenScoopalot
01-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Better than fireworks anyday! :eek: ;) :eek: :D

RICHARD
01-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Better than fireworks anyday! :eek: ;) :eek: :D

Speaking of fireworks.....

NASA might have some fireworks for us on July 4 2005.

They have launched a probe that is going to try and hit a comet.

-------------------------------------------------------

Because of the relative speed of the two objects at the moment of impact — 23,000 mph (36,800 kilometers per hour) — no explosives are needed for the job. The force of the smashup will be equivalent to 4.5 tons of TNT, creating a flash that just might be visible in the dark sky by the naked eye in one spectacular Fourth of July fireworks display.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/10624846.htm

---------------------------------------------------------

A few month ago I got to see a firing of a rocket from up the coast from Vandenberg Air Force base......

SPECTACULAR!!!!!
:D

I did see the comet last night with binoculars.......setting up the telecope tonight for some close ups!!!

Now, I just need warmer weather!!

slick
01-12-2005, 11:14 PM
OK, my mouth is still open while I type this. "S is for Venus" is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the link; I've added it to my favourites. Next time I get too big for my britches, these pictures will bring me down to earth. ;)

luckies4me
01-13-2005, 02:51 AM
This sentence just cracks me up...

"With its abundance of liquid water, Earth supports a large variety of life forms, including potentially intelligent species such as dolphins and humans."

Barbara
01-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Wow! Machholz meeting the Pleiades- they are one of my favorites at the sky! That's gorgeous:) :) :)

Killearn Kitties
01-13-2005, 04:16 AM
What incredible pictures!! I'll be checking that site more often!