PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching tips?

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 02:31 PM
In the next few days I'll be bleaching my hair, and then dying it blonde afterwards (it will turn orange after I bleach it). I dyed my hair black last year and now I hate it and want to be blonde again. My mom is convinced that dyeing my hair blonde 20 times will have a lesser amount of damage on my hair than bleaching it once. Do you think that's true?

Anyways, does anyone have any tips on bleaching my hair? My friend said to keep conditioner in my hair and a showercap on over it overnight after I bleach it to lessen the damage. Do you think that will help?

My Peanuts
01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I used to have my hair highlighted all the time. I assume you mean you are doing this at home. You might consider calling a salon for their advice. It couldn't hurt. Have you dyed your hair at all since last year? Even a touch up? You're right about the orange part. The bleach over black dye will do that. It's likely that dying your hair blonde over and over will not work and the ammonia will damage your hair more. You need the bleach to strip the black out. I would do exactly what you are doing. Bleach it and let it get pretty white and then use a toner. Then do the blonde dye. I'm no professional, but that's what I would do. I dyed my hair black last year and then in the summer I went back to brown with bleached highlights. The bleach took care of the black. I think you should try a small piece first that way there will be no emergency visits to the salon :p

There is going to be damage because that’s what bleach does. I’d use a leave in conditioning treatment. I even leave a little regular conditioner in my hair from time to time, but it might sweat the color out. Hope that helped a little
:)

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks! :D I'll print off your suggestions. Yes, I'm doing this at home. I can call my cousin -- maybe even get her to do my hair for me, because she's a hairdresser. The last time I dyed my hair when when I dyed it black in October. Its been wearing off though. It looks pretty stupid. My roots are blonde, then it's suddenly dark black, and then the ends are brown. I also have this big strip along the back of my head that is light brown, and you can see some blonde streaks underneath. LOL. My mom sucks at dyeing my hair.