PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

caseysmom
01-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Did you know that raw salmon can kill a dog? I was in the vets yesterday for bubba's second set of puppy shots and there was a pamplet on this...I don't give any of my dogs fish but this was scary...

Glacier
01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
It's only salmon caught in specific areas. Some salmon carry a fluke parasite that can be dangerous. I believe the affected fish are mainly found in the Pacific off the coast of California and Oregon.

It does not affect salmon caught in Northern waters. There are thousands of dogs up here who exsist on nothing but chum salmon and are just fine. There is actually a set time when people can fish for dog food fish. (chum salmon have already spawned and aren't fit for human consumption anymore) My own dogs eat plenty of salmon and have never had a problem with it.

Here's a link with more info:
http://www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_salmon.html

luvofallhorses
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
:eek: :eek: what about canned salmon for salmon patties we give our dogs that once in a while like atleast once a month.

caseysmom
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I didn't read the whole pamplet saying what was deadly...I know we are warned here for humans not to eat to much because of the mercury.

Glacier
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
:eek: :eek: what about canned salmon for salmon patties we give our dogs that once in a while like atleast once a month.

Not an issue. Once the fish is processed, particularly by heat, the fluke is dead and can't cause infection.

lv4dogs
01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
My dog, Kessa died from it when I was in Oregon about 6 years ago.
It is a terrible disease & yes it is only the salmon that are in the northwest and if I remember correctly it only affects the salmon in 2 rivers and no where else.
it is salmonila poisoning, the symptoms are very similar to parvo.
And it is only with raw salmon, not cooked.

She was THE BEST dog I have ever ever had. half rott half husky, looked just like rott but with a tiny bit longer fur, not too long though, and she had ice blue eyes. So smart. I miss that girl.
We drove her to CA & burried her in the redwoods.

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I read that the only breed found not to be affected by the parasite so far is the Siberian husky. They did a test on Sibes, and found the evidence of salmon poisoning in their stool, but none of the dogs were affected by it whereas dogs of every other breed that they tested were.