PDA

View Full Version : whos dogs eyes have been CERF'd

cali
01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I am just curious as to what the process is, Happy and Misty will be getting done in Feb. Misty in I breed her, and Happy because her sire is blind in one eye and it is still unknown as to weather its hereitary or not. its a CERF clinic in town and we dont get them very often, so my guys are getting done now. but Happy is fear aggressive with other dogs, I dont want her to be to stressed if there are lots of other dogs milling about..

ramanth
01-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Never heard of it. But good luck to them. :)

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Nope, but I may CERF my catahoula in the future, since eye diseases are one of the problems in the breed. Just have to find a CERF clinic around here.

cyber-sibes
01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
not sure about the process, but here's their site for info- http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html

An excellent precaution if you plan to breed, but not foolproof.
Sherman came from a show kennel - they're required to certify yearly, both his parents are certified. But he & his siblings developed juvenile cataracts - his are pretty severe, he has impaired vision. (Can't tell by looking at him, though, he has gorgeous eyes!) This is a genetic condition. So his parents won't be bred anymore- nor will he or his siblings. However, we're so pleased to have him in our family-- we love him dearly just the way he is.

I do think that any responsible breeder should have their dogs hips & eyes certified as part of the effort to improve their breed's health.

Giselle
01-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Nope. Lucky came from a cr@ppy breeder who couldn't care less about eyes. Giselle is a retired racer, so Nope.

IMO, EVERY SINGLE BREEDER of ANY breed should CERF, OFA, and/or PennHip along with Optigen, if necessary.

Cookiebaker
01-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Emerson came with all the papers, and even has eye certification, as well as the hips elbows etc etc.

Kristl
01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
my vet told me that they wouldn't know if my lab had any hip problems until he was full grown i guess about 2 yrs. old. any way to know sooner?

bckrazy
01-13-2005, 03:14 AM
no. Gonzo has perfect sight, if it ever gets bad I would have him tested. OF COURSE, I won't/can't breed him. his lines are not the best, he was bred to work though I'm pretty sure his parents are healthy, his dad is AKC registered and had all of the tests done. his mom is a smooth working dog, with one blue eye. the breeders are kind of stupid people, so we don't keep in contact with them much at all...

Cali! if you ever breed Happy, I get first pick of the litter, mkay? :p

Originally posted by Kristl
my vet told me that they wouldn't know if my lab had any hip problems until he was full grown i guess about 2 yrs. old. any way to know sooner?

:) you can get their hips and elbows x-rayed at 1 year. By then, they can pretty much tell if the dog has or will develop any bad hip/elbow dysplasia

cali
01-13-2005, 07:55 AM
lol Happy is spayed, we are just checking her eyes because here sire is blind in one eye, just to make sure Happys eyes are fine :p I might however breed Misty which is why I am getting her eyes CERF'd :p that wont be till we move though and I get her tested on sheep :p

Pit Chick
01-13-2005, 08:44 AM
That is responsible of you to have Misty's eyes CERF'd before breeding and I agree with Giselle about having OFA done as well. A temperament test would be a good idea too. I don't know Misty so I'm not saying she has a temperament problem, but it wouldn't hurt to have that test done so that you can guarantee temperament of the pups. The above should all apply for the stud you choose for her as well. You mentioned sheep, so I'm assuming Misty is a working dog and not a show dog? What is your goal in breeding?

cali
01-13-2005, 10:21 AM
working lol, I am highly against BCs in the show ring. Misty will have all testing done, she is just getting CERF'd right now because a CERF clinic is coming to town :p I dont know yet for sure if I will be breeding Misty, she needs to be a proven stockdog first, she needs to prove that she is an exeptional example of a working border collie first, and of coarse the Stud I choose will need to be as well, I also need to findout Mistys stregths and weakness as far as herding goes so I can find a Stud that is a natural where Misty is not :) dont worry, I know what I am doing ;) and as a plus my mom is an expert in dog genetics, even current breeders ask for her help lol

Pit Chick
01-13-2005, 11:02 AM
(sigh of relief) So there are responsible breeders out there. You are a rare breed yourself. I'm so tired of running into Joe Blow Breeder that wants his dog to have puppies so he can make money. I wish the best for Misty's tests and herding.

bckrazy
01-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by cali
working lol, I am highly against BCs in the show ring. Misty will have all testing done, she is just getting CERF'd right now because a CERF clinic is coming to town :p I dont know yet for sure if I will be breeding Misty, she needs to be a proven stockdog first, she needs to prove that she is an exeptional example of a working border collie first, and of coarse the Stud I choose will need to be as well, I also need to findout Mistys stregths and weakness as far as herding goes so I can find a Stud that is a natural where Misty is not :) dont worry, I know what I am doing ;) and as a plus my mom is an expert in dog genetics, even current breeders ask for her help lol

ack, sorry, I meant Misty! I knew Happy was spayed :) but wouldn't Happy pups be awesome? I am also VERY much against show Border Collies... this breed should definately be judged for working ability before looks. I'm also friends with breeders who show their BC's, but those breeders (Celestria and Shannara) both work their dogs daily on sheep, in flyball, agility, and obedience on top of showing too. They also wish there could be a segement of conformation shows that judges the dogs herding... but that'll probably never happen :rolleyes: atleast not in the AKC/UKC/etc. Anyway, it might be fun to just take her to a club show.. usually Border Collie clubs do not favor the "Barbie Collies", and it'd be cool to get her evaluated by a judge. good luck with that ;) I still want a Misty puppy!

cali
01-14-2005, 12:11 PM
lol join the list! Binka_nugget wants one too lol