PDA

View Full Version : Man openly against seat belt laws killed in vehicle accident

ramanth
01-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Darwin claims another one.... ironically tragic. *shakes head*

I-80 crash claims UNL student's life (http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/01/04/local/doc41db350078259784029686.txt)

Derek, who was thrown from the vehicle, was not wearing a seat belt, Lefler said. He said Havermann and Uphoff were wearing seat belts at the time.

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

"There seems to be a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up no matter what the government does. I belong to this group."
Daily Nebraskan: DEREK KIEPER: Individual rights buckle under seat belt laws (http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/17/414a5a030e91d?in_archive=1)

Pit Chick
01-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm glad to see he was so concerned with government spending for law enforcement efforts and not the amount his parents would have to spend on his hospital bills/funeral if he ever got into an accident. Not to mention how much it was going to cost to scrape him off of the highway. So what's more cost efficient, wearing a seatbelt (free) or being thrown from a car ($$$$$$)?

He really showed the government didn't he? :rolleyes: :( :confused:

RICHARD
01-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Derek Kieper was a smart, funny, intense young man who relished a good debate and would do anything for his friends.

"He was a bright young boy, a 4.0," Paul Kieper said. "He loved to be silly. He loved to debate."

At UNL, Derek took on five majors — history, psychology, economics, sociology and political science — and had plans to attend law school.

-------------------------------

Smart, funny intense young man??

He was silly!

Hmmm, pretty smart too.....

Had he taken some science classes he'd know that a "body that goes in motion, stays in motion."

Pit Chick
01-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Had he taken some science classes he'd know that a "body that goes in motion, stays in motion."

His body is no longer in motion.

Uabassoon
01-12-2005, 12:38 PM

There is a physics professor at the U of A, on the first day of class he will tell his students that if he sees any of them driving and they aren't wearing a seat belt they will recieve a failing grade in the class. He said that if a physics student refuses to wear a seat belt in a car, then they obviously don't understand the concept of physics and don't deserve a passing grade.

smokey the elder
01-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I like that professor's idea!

dukedogsmom
01-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, guess he showed those horrible law makers, huh?

catnapper
01-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Why bother trying to fight to law of motion... oops, I mean the seatbelt law?

How ironic. Poor kid and his family. I hate to see a life go to waste like that - something that was so simple could have saved his life. It wasn't the seatbelt (or lack of) that killed him, it was his arrogance.

I don' t understand why people take such an issue with seatbelts. I can't get into a car without fastening my seatbelt. Its automatic and I don't even realize I'm doing it. Its like breathing - and if I want to continue breathing I will continue to automatically hook my seatbelt.

Pit Chick
01-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I never used to wear my seatbelt when riding in the backseat, but after I got this job that all changed. We get some pretty gruesome pics of car wrecks where people were ejected from the car. :eek: That's just not the way I would like to die...OUCHY!

RICHARD
01-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Pot smoking granny arrested

A Canadian grandmother was arrested for smoking cannabis while driving - with her grandkids in the car.

The 43-year-old woman, from Oshawa, Ontario, was pulled over in a routine stop, reports Canadian Press.

Police claim the woman was smoking a joint while her grandchildren - aged one and four - were in the vehicle without seatbelts.

The grandmother was taken into custody while the children were returned to their mother. No names were released.

:confused: :eek:

Pit Chick
01-14-2005, 02:01 PM
She gives pot smoking granny's everywhere a bad name.

ramanth
01-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Insane!

Reminds me of when my ex-bf's dad drove me to one of his son's football games. He was drinking AND smoking a joint. :eek: I was SO uncomfortable. When I told my bf I was going to walk home before getting back in the car with his dad, he took offense! :mad:

cocker_luva
01-16-2005, 10:03 AM
karma baby karma! he gets what comes to him. you wanna ride a horse without a helmet and end up getting bucked off and goin unconscious...serves you right!!! stupid people.

GraciesMommy
01-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Same here..automatic as breathing. I didn't wear one either and let my 2 year(at the time) stand by me...one time I had a wreck, shane was not with me but I had bags of groceries in the seat..all the groceries ended up wedged in the dash..had that been shane standing there it would have been him! Taught ME a big lesson..we have worn them ever since and he is 24 now..will not ride in a car without one on and won't let any one ride with me that will not wear one! PERIOD!

cookieluver7
01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Some people are so crazy. :rolleyes: