PDA

View Full Version : Where do you work/what do you do?

slleipnir
01-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Just curious what everyone here does?

Currently, I'm working parttime as a bartender at a hotel/bar thing

anna_66
01-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I work at Red Lobster as a waitress.

catnapper
01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
What a time to ask me that question! LOL

Ok, I am formally trained in interior design. I'm trying to start my own business as a freelance designer. To say things are slow is an understatement.

I am trying to supplement my design work (or my current lack of design work) through pencil portraits of animals. Here's two I just did (so you can all see what I do)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/chocolateLabs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/Scooter.jpg

And now I am so utterly excited about my Petco interview today! Let just say that art and design are not two things the old Pennsylvania Dutch cheapskates in my area will spend money for. :rolleyes: I'm also *hoping* that if I get the Petco job that they'll let me distribute brochures of my portraits to people that come into Petco.

If I had it all to do again? I would have listened to my parents and gone into graphc design instead of interior design, since I have a skill that is utterly useless out here. At least they occasiobnally have opening for graphic designers in the area. :o

Or if I could name my dream job? I would LOVE to open up a cat hotel (or cattery) in my house. Just take care of cats and get paid for it!

Sorry to go off on this long-winded post! :o Its just that right now, my job and what I want to do with my life is really up in the air and in question for me!

slleipnir
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Wow, your art is amazing!!!

shutterbug0303
01-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I sell flagpoles! :D :eek:

I know, it's weird...but I am friends with the owners, and have been here for over 2 years now. I sell flags (US, State, Country, etc) and flagpoles (kits for homes to the large commercial ones up to 120')! :D

www.anchorflagpole.com (http://www.anchorflagpole.com)

Cookiebaker
01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
I work at a small business that sells and services office equipment. We run a small copy shop, remanufacture toner cartridges, etc. I work closely with sales, run the copy shop (which includes: town reports; designing business cards and stationary; Church bulletins; making booklets; advertising; etc. etc.), track service contracts, filing, petty cash, etc etc etc. A very diverse and interesting job!

Samantha Puppy
01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I work for an environmental consulting firm as an administrative assistant. Two days a week, I'm at my home office. Three days a week, they "lease" me out to the Maryland State Highway Administration.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-11-2005, 09:44 AM
I am a former teacher for primary schools. I stopped doing this when we got kids. My plan was to return later, but due to health problems, I never did:(

Queen of Poop
01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
I am a production administrator at an Oil and Gas Trust Company in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I've been at my current company for almost 2 years. I've worked in the oil patch since 1986 in various administrative positions.

robinh
01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm the Membership Coordinator (aka secretary) for a state trade association that represents heavy highway builders.

Christiansmommy
01-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I am blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom, and LOVE it. Before I had Christian, I was a nail technician (manicurist), and then I was an assistant manger at a China/Flatware/Stemware store...and did nails on the side, occasionally.

petslover
01-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I am a college student for the time being! During the summer, I am going to try to work for the school.

BCBlondie
01-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm a clerk at a bakery... I sell the croissants, danishes, cookies, cakes, and other things, and I also take orders for cakes and stuff over the phone or in person.

I also do webdesign type stuff. My most recent project was designing an ad for some magazine for a friend whose fiancee is the owner of this big company on the internet. I got a very nice check for it and FINALLY got Megan's surgery paid off!! Wohoo!! :D
I'm planning on starting my own webdesign business soon.

I am ALSO a college student.

Phew!!:p

Cincy'sMom
01-11-2005, 11:00 AM
My degree is in Biochemistry. I just started a new job in April (wow, has it been that long already?!?), where I am a "technical reviewer" for the chemistry department. Basically, I review experiemtns and make sure they were done according to the client's expectations.

wolflady
01-11-2005, 11:15 AM
...it's neat to get an idea of what everyone here on PT does for a living (besides post of PT, of course! ;) LOL)

I am a Marketing Coordinator/Manager for a software company. I'm in charge of spending money (how fun! LOL) and running campaigns for lead generation programs. I'm basically in charge of anything that will help bring awareness to our company: lead gen, PR opportunities, Press Releases, Google Adwords, events, etc. etc.

I've only been here on my new job for 6 months, and am learning a lot! Before I came here, I worked for a vet hospital for the year I was looking for high-tech employment. I worked both as a vet technician (wow, I learned a lot there!) and also as a receptionist, depending on the day. I also created and I still maintain the hospital website (http://www.gilroyvet.com/)
:D

moosmom
01-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I work part-time (for now) at a major funeral home in Flat Rock, Michigan as a secretary/receptionist. Eventually it will go full-time. I love my job.

Desert Arabian
01-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Right now I work at Mills Fleet Farm, which is a large farm/hunting/house supply store found all over Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa and I think Illinois. I work in sporting goods- the hunting and fishing department. I stock shelves, assist customers, do floor projects assigned by managers, show guns- stuff like that. Pay is great, which I love. My co-workers are amazing and make it a really fun place to work.

In the summer I work at Camp Anokijig. I do not get paid, but I don't care. I work in the horse program. I groom, saddle, and bridle anywhere from 15-45 horses a day for the kids. I assist on trail rides, teach kids how to ride, groom, saddle, and bridle a horse. Whatever the kids want to learn, I try to teach to the best of my ability. When I am not helping the kids, I have to attend to the horses. I am assigned to care for all the sick and lame horses-I have to doctor their wounds and properly care for them. I give them baths when they get really dirty too. Cleaning sheaths is another dirty chore Heather, Amy, and I have work on. Repairing saddles, bridles, mucking, and general barn cleaning is an everyday task. At night we (the wranglers, no kids) ride the herd out to the pastures bareback, , play games on horse back, go swimming on horseback, and do whatever we want. In the morning the wranglers wake up early and bring the herd in and grain the horses. They currently have 53 horses- they keep us working hard! I love it!

davidpizzica
01-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
What a time to ask me that question! LOL

Ok, I am formally trained in interior design. I'm trying to start my own business as a freelance designer. To say things are slow is an understatement.

I am trying to supplement my design work (or my current lack of design work) through pencil portraits of animals. Here's two I just did (so you can all see what I do)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/chocolateLabs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Skilesg/Scooter.jpg

And now I am so utterly excited about my Petco interview today! Let just say that art and design are not two things the old Pennsylvania Dutch cheapskates in my area will spend money for. :rolleyes: I'm also *hoping* that if I get the Petco job that they'll let me distribute brochures of my portraits to people that come into Petco.

If I had it all to do again? I would have listened to my parents and gone into graphc design instead of interior design, since I have a skill that is utterly useless out here. At least they occasiobnally have opening for graphic designers in the area. :o

Or if I could name my dream job? I would LOVE to open up a cat hotel (or cattery) in my house. Just take care of cats and get paid for it!

Sorry to go off on this long-winded post! :o Its just that right now, my job and what I want to do with my life is really up in the air and in question for me! Kim, how beautiful! You have a right to be long-winded with artwork as nice as this!

cubby31682
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Right now I work at Mc Donalds, I am working on getting my GED and then going to school to become a realtor. My husband and I want to become a team in real estate. I hope to finish all of my schooling this year, but I plan on becoming a realtor by early next year. :)

dukedogsmom
01-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm a dispatcher for police and I love telling them where to go :p

davidpizzica
01-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Actually, I do nothing right now! I'm on a seasonal lay-off from the country club. (I'm on unemployment) I'll probably be called back in early march. When I am working, I'm a groundskeeper there. Cutting grass, raking sandtraps, general slave! LOL LOL!

luvofallhorses
01-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't work but I go to high school & I volunteer at my local animal shelter & love it! I am trying to get a job at the animal shelter so I can buy/rent my own house :D

catnapper
01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm a dispatcher for police and I love telling them where to go :p
A lot of people would love to be able to tell them that! ;)

But seriously... it has to get stressful at times. Do yu hear/see some incredible things?

wolf_Q
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I work at Petco as a groomer right now. I also draw pet portraits on the side (link in my signature).

I'd really like to start up my own business sometime soon. I'd like to start with a self-service dog bathing business then add on from there (boarding, pet photography, gifts, etc.)

Cataholic
01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
I am a mommy to Jonah, 4 months, and work at home, away from home, work all hours, and get the best pay in the world- the look in his eyes at the end of the shift at my part-time job- where I work for a law firm as a lawyer. I LOVE it. I do wish I could give up my part time job....:(

Tonya
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I am a construction splicer for SBC (Southwestern Bell Communications). My tasks vary from day to day, but for the most part, I place phone cables on poles and in manholes. I build T1, DSL, ISDN lines etc... That involves placing special equipment on the lines and conditioning them from the phone central office to the business.

In the winter, construction always gets set aside for the storms though. I spend most of the winters loaned over to the home repair/installation department. I help them out by fixing the home phone lines and installing jacks. I've been at SBC for 7 years.

Here's a couple of work pictures...not that they really explain what I do. One of them is "trapped" in a collage from back when I only had a scanner. lol.

Climbing
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p25d9e8524c753061273eb9f7d0860ef2/f5826132.jpg

My work truck (I was pregnant in that pic too!)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/pb973aeceacf63a338eccfed87a0a892b/f58260c0.jpg

mina'smomma
01-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm a Veterans Service Office, a full time student graduating from Northwoods University in May, and just started my second job as a first year tax preparer for H & R Block in Mt. Pleasant. I also plan on going back to school in the fall to become an RN.

emily_the_spoiled
01-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I do research into health outcomes (i.e. is the patient receiving good quality of care, etc.) for a think tank in DC. We are a small office so I also do everything from making coffee to writing contracts. There is definitely a wide variety of work in a day. Once a week I get to work from home with all my little helpers :D (but I wish it could be more often).

My Peanuts
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
I work for a heating and a/c company. I do their A/R work. I basically process payments, send bills and invoices, I give commissions, I also do stuff with trust deeds, mechanics liens, attorney contracts, etc. It's really fun stuff :rolleyes:, but this is what I went to college to do :D

binka_nugget
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I work at a movie theatre. Right now, I'm just working in the cafe but I'd like to start working in the box office as well.

A few years from now, I'd like to start building my business (dog training/daycare/grooming).

Denyce
01-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I am an Assistant Supervisor of Environmental Testing. That is the official title. I work in a service lab at Penn State University testing plants, soils, composts, biosolids, manures etc for nitrogen/carbon content. We also do other nutritional testing for these samples. Our lab is used by people all over the world in farming, greenhouses, orchards and researchers to determine how much and what type of fertilizers are needed to be efficient or for various research projects on how to grow a better, bigger plant. *shrug* I guess that is the easiest way to describe it.

Denyce

CalliesMom
01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm a graduate student doing research. I am performing epidemilogical surveys on felines and ticks throughout the United States to determine if they are infected with my parasite of interest, Anaplasma phagocytophilum. Here, I attain my feline blood from the feral/stray cats getting TNR'd and I have samples sent to me from several different places. It's a great experience and I hope will be beneficial to my career in the future. I would like to teach and do research for a major university or work in private industry.

ramanth
01-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I work for the Brennan Law Library (http://www.cooley.edu/library) at Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing. :) I maintain the web site mostly but I also work with Westlaw and Lexis. :D

Originally posted by anna_66
I work at Red Lobster as a waitress.
So do my two Aunts! :D

I love Red Lobster but something that they cook with makes Andy sick so I haven't been there in so long. :(

When we're in the mood for seafood/fish we go to Joe's Crabshack.

chocolatepuppy
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I work in a factory, I'm a machine operator. Been there 12 years. :eek:

Logan
01-11-2005, 04:14 PM
This is a most interesting thread! Thank you, Audrey, for starting it!

When I read about what you want to do, Amy (WolfQ), I got excited! Just today, when I was working, I happened to see a "dog wash" place, which offers either full service grooming or "do it yourself" washing for your dogs. I decided to turn around and pull in there to get some details. I have a horrible time washing my dogs in the wintertime. When I turned down a side street, turned around and headed back out, a lady rear ended me!!! My car is fine and I am fine (can't say the same thing about the lady's car), and it will be around $500 to repair my bumper, but she will have to cover that. I didn't let that little "blip" deter me and I went into this place. What a great atmosphere! I will definitely be taking my dogs in for their baths in the coming weeks!!!

OK, about me. I work for a state agency, now, finally in an office, outside of my home (I worked for a couple of companies from a home office for over 5 years). We make small business loans and I am a satelite office. I love what I do and have been doing the same thing for over 9 years now.

I got home early today because I had to take my car in to be checked over and make sure that there was no damage to the gas tank or other parts.

Logan

karyn674
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I've worked at Company of textiles and carpets for 6 years dealing with importation, I also used to work as a make up artist on a part time basis with my sister.

Last Feb. I left and started make up on a full time basis, where I work with my sister on TV programs, commersials, Theather and film sets. I simply love it and the best thing about it..............I get paid for something that I enjoy!!! ;)

Tina
01-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I am a Stay At Home Mom..I take care of my kids.

Freckles
01-11-2005, 06:49 PM
I worked for over 18 years at a small commercial print shop. Then moved to an "inplant shop" in a state agency. That's a print shop for the agency use only. I became interested in personal computers in 1983, even before they were used at the agency. After a few years, there was an entire network throughout the agency, including our department. We used it for forms control, and later, billing. I'm greatful for the training I received there because I put it to use at home (now on my fifth computer).

After 23 years as the Printing Supervisor, I retired 8 years ago. Don't miss the printing part because cleaning presses, a daily necessity, isn't fun. I do use the graphic and word processing skills daily.

rosethecopycat
01-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Donna, I'm glad you found something you like. Ah, Flatrock, it's like Detroit, without all the 'glitz' ;) :D

I am a professional sax player. My husband is a piano player. We actually make a good living at this. :eek:
I arrange music at home, and proofread for WB publishing as well.

My husband, freelances and is never home (I call him Mango- from SNL, no you cannot have Mango! Everybody love Mango!)

We play in a convention band for events in Orlando, much of FL and anywhere the corp. wants to fly us.

Kimmy- I see you work for Red Lobster. We do conventions for Darden, so hurry up and become the manager, get in the Diamond Club, and go to their convention, and I will be there in the band for you!

Also, is seems like a million years ago, already, but I did 12 years working on cruise ships. We really saw the world! (before it got all goofed up with terrorism)
Hundreds of countries and islands. Literally.

My latest endeavor is to try to be a Faux Painter. So far, I've been a 'helper' a few times. I love to paint. (walls that is)

Glacier
01-11-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm a Disabilty Manager. I work with people who have been injured on the job. I co-ordinate their medical care, rehabiliation, retraining, ect. I've been doing this for almost three years.

Prior to this I was a child protection social worker for eight years.

kuhio98
01-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm a Planner and Scheduler for British Petroleum in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. I plan and schedule maintenance on the Alaska Pipeline and it's facilities.
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1100/prudhoe.html

Shelteez2
01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I work at a really busy grooming salon in Calgary Alberta Canada.
Mostly I just bath and dry dogs, but occassionally I groom them too.
For the most part I really like my job and the people I work with.

I also do a lot of petsitting / housesitting. I really like doing that.

rosethecopycat
01-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by kuhio98 www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1100/prudhoe.html[/URL] [/B]

Fascinating.

jenfer
01-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Home Equity Processor at a credit union.

Crikit
01-12-2005, 12:08 AM
I work as the shipper/receiver at one of the Chapters in Calgary. I also volunteer at my friends agility classes, and I am a member of the Superdogs national team with Smudge...that's the funnest of all my jobs. After all I get to play with my dog.

cloverfdx
01-12-2005, 07:47 AM
I am currently working for a bearings and fan belt supplier doing the book work, boring work but i like the extra money ;). Also i am a volunteer Flyball instructor for our dog club, which i "love".

ramanth
01-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
Kimmy- I see you work for Red Lobster. We do conventions for Darden, so hurry up and become the manager, get in the Diamond Club, and go to their convention, and I will be there in the band for you!
I don't work for Red Lobster, Anna does! :D

I work in a Library. I mentioned that my two aunts work at Red Lobster. :D

rosethecopycat
01-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Ah, I was reading too fast!
:o

ramanth
01-12-2005, 09:01 AM
All will be forgiven.... if you send me your kitties. ;) :D

BitsyNaceyDog
01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
I work for a small pet boarding facility. I have been there for almost 5 years and have been manager for 4 years. I love my job, every bit of it. I do a lot of different things there. I do a lot of paperwork and answer the phone. I check in and out the animals. I feed and medicate the animals. I supervise all the other girls who work there, which sometimes I like and sometimes I don't.

I also do a bit of animal rescue.

My dream job though is to be a stay at home mom and continue to do animal rescue.

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I own a rat food company called IcaFris. However, I've had to stop for a couple months while I make new brochures, labels, and brainstorm about my two newest products. :)

smokey the elder
01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm a chemist. I started working at an adhesive company, then a paper company, then making industrial lubricants. Now I work for a private pharmaceutical company, as an analytical chemist.

Barbara
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
I work in publishing. I publish travel guides in a medium sized private owned company. That's what I do for 15 years know but I started as a technical editor after I graduated in physics.

wolfsoul
01-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget

A few years from now, I'd like to start building my business (dog training/daycare/grooming).
Move to Kelowna and I'll work as your groomer. ;)

Twisterdog
01-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I own a boarding kennel and grooming shop.

catlover4ever
01-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I am a Secretary in the Epidemiology Department (Infection Control) in our local hospital. I coordinate the day to day operations of 2 part time nurses and I also do secretarial work for the hospital's HIV Clinic, Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic and the Infectious Disease Clinic which deals with Tuberculosis patients. I have been at this job for 5 years and I learn something new every day. I find my job very rewarding.

I have two dream jobs. The first is a flight attendant and I was lucky enough to have this job for 4 1/2 years...right after graduating from college. I decided to quit when the company I worked for closed my base. I was given a choice of moving to New York or Boston....I choose to leave the airline because I was married and we had just bought a house. I was not willing to make my husband move.

My second dream job would be to run a shelter or kitty hotel. I really missed my calling. I should have studied animal science when I was in school and done something along those lines.

Miss Meow
01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
All will be forgiven.... if you send me your kitties. ;) :D

Love it! :D

I am the operations manager at a defence base. My team looks after occupational health and safety, emergency planning (and reaction, I guess - haven't needed to yet ;)), base visits, special events, aid to the community and assistance to the security manager. It's a huge learning curve but really interesting work. :)

micki76
01-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I work for a swimming pool company and I do, literally, everything! I'm the only "office" employee-we have the guys that supervise the foremen, and the foremen who supervise the crews, but I'm the only one who actually does the "office" work. Everyone else works out in the field all day. I do all the accounting, all sorts of special projects, proposals, schedule the crews & pools, loads of crappy paperwork every day, spreadsheets, payroll, deal with our contractors and subcontractors, and about a million and one other things, for all 4 companies that we own (and they're opening 2 more this year!). It's fun and I have a great boss, but I'm looking to find something where I can work from home. I'll find it eventually. :)

Uabassoon
01-12-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm a barista at Starbucks. I also work (very) part time for a pet sitting agency in town.

I am a professional sax player. My husband is a piano player. We actually make a good living at this.
I arrange music at home, and proofread for WB publishing as well.

It's nice to know someone made it! I got a degree in bassoon performance. So far I haven't had any luck finding anything, actually I haven't really tried. There just isn't much of a call for a bassoonist here in Tucson. So for now I'll just be happy making coffee.

pipersmom
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
I am the assistant to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance at Vanderbilt University.

mruffruff
01-17-2005, 07:35 AM
I am the office manager for a neon sign supply distributor. We don't make signs, but import/assemble parts like transformers, gases, electrodes, etc. and the pumps that put the color into the neon tubes.

I hope to retire (soon) and open a self-service dog wash.

Mary