PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear to...

catnapper
01-11-2005, 07:52 AM
an interview at Petco? My normal "interview suit" (a fabulous black silk number with red silk blouse) is definate overkill for Petco. But what DO I wear? A nice pair of slacks and twin-set? Or perhaps a skirt and blouse? Still too formal? I don't want to look too spiffy because then they might not offer me anything thinking they'll never be able to meet my salary expectations.

I've been shocked at what people wear to interviews - I've seen people in JEANS and T-shirts! :rolleyes: :eek: Which is definately something I don't want to do (its somethng I COULD NOT do since I have not owned a pair of jeans in about ten years)

Logan
01-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I think a pair of nice pants and a blouse, with even a blazer would be fine. I wear khakis and a sweater or blouse almost every single day to my job. It's more comfortable and still is "dressy" enough.

Good luck!
Logan

BitsyNaceyDog
01-11-2005, 07:56 AM
I would probably wear a pair of dress pants with a casual blouse.

Barbara
01-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Here you say that you should wear one level higher than what you would wear at work. So if you can work in jeans and sweatshirt, the slacks and twinset would be just fine.

If you'd work in slacks, than the skirt and blouse would be fine.

I would also think black silk is too up-dressed.

But of course there are cultural differences at well. PM Sara (Edwina's secretary), she's a HR consultant. (And she gets up early ;))

moosmom
01-11-2005, 08:02 AM
I wore a pair of kakis and a bouse with a blazer to my interview at PetSmart. Turns out they were looking for purple hair, excessive piercings and torn jeans. Go figure! :rolleyes: Good luck Kim!!

catnapper
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I wore a pair of kakis and a bouse with a blazer to my interview at PetSmart. Turns out they were looking for purple hair, excessive piercings and torn jeans. Go figure! :rolleyes: Good luck Kim!!

LOL... Do I have time to dye my hair? :eek: I can paste little rhinestones to my nose and eyebrows. Do you thnk that'll impress them?

Thanks guys! I will have to survey my closet. I have a pair of casual black slacks hat I usully wear with a plum colored blouse that has bold ivory, tan, and burgundy flowers on it (it sounds dreadful but its one of my favorite blouses! :D)

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Most days I get up early.....:rolleyes: :D

I would go with the slacks and a twin set...or a blouse and blazer. Neutral patterns.

You may well be interviewing with someone (almost) young enough to be your son ....so you want to look casual yet professional and not too "mom."

caseysmom
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the slacks and twinset sound great, I can't imagine that they won't jump on the chance to hire you.

catland
01-11-2005, 12:06 PM
and a little anti-persperant on the palms of your hands will keep them from sweating for that all important handshake.

good luck:D

wolflady
01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Most days I get up early.....:rolleyes: :D

I would go with the slacks and a twin set...or a blouse and blazer. Neutral patterns.

You may well be interviewing with someone (almost) young enough to be your son ....so you want to look casual yet professional and not too "mom."

Great advice...I agree :D

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
**hugs**

catnapper
01-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Well I'm back! I won't know gfor a day or so... they made me take a test like the SATs where I filled in little circles to answer questions that made me laugh. A sampling of the questions:
Can you read well enough to take this test?
There are 30 hours in a day
I think its ok to steal from an employer

OMG... what a test! :D Biting my nails as to whether or not I failed! :p

I have no idea what position they are looking to fill. They did ask me about grooming... and I'm not so sure I'd want that - I have enough time getting my monsters brushed and bathed! :D :eek:

moosmom
01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Kim,

I had to take a test when I applied to Petco too. It's a dumb test in which there are no right answers. I think you'll do just fine.

Logan
01-11-2005, 12:53 PM
So what did you wear???? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!!! :D

catnapper
01-11-2005, 01:11 PM
My black pants with the plum shirt. Its very nice and not at all "old lady" looking.

Cataholic
01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
They did ask me about grooming... and I'm not so sure I'd want that - I have enough time getting my monsters brushed and bathed! :D :eek:

What IF they were referring to your blouse? :D :eek: :D

Good luck!!!

catnapper
01-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
What IF they were referring to your blouse? :D :eek: :D

Good luck!!!

:eek: I hadn't thought of that!

Believe me, my blouse is not busy! I often get accused of dressing too blandly... so I have no worried of whether this was too fussy! :D

I'll take a picture of me (oh perish the thought) to show you all how uterly fabulous I look!

ramanth
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Hope they contact you! :D

Chica
01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Y0U WILL LOOK GREAT IF YOU WEAR A SWEATER OVER A SHELL TOP AND A PAIR OF BLACK PANTS AND CASUAL SHOES OR BOOTS.
:) ALSO I WOULD WEAR EARINGS AND A WATCH. IT MAKES YOU LOOK NICE TO WEAR SOME JEWELRY.:D ;)LOTS OF LUCK!;)

cloverfdx
01-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Goodluck Kim i hope you get the job :D.

KYS
01-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Waiting for a job update!
Fingers and toes crossed for you.

catnapper
01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
No word from Petco yet. I am on pins and needles here!

kimlovescats
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Just now seeing this .... good luck, Kim!;) Just keep in mind, if it was meant to be, then it will be!

(((HUGS)))
Kim;)