PDA

View Full Version : Please say a prayer for my Ebbs

ChrisH
01-11-2005, 06:08 AM
She is having surgery on her tail round about now.

Chris

Barbara
01-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Chris, all my best thoughts are with you and dear Ebby:(
I am so sorry- there are so many bad news at PT at the moment.

catcrazylady
01-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Oh Chris you must be so worried! Ebby is in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how it goes s soon as you can.

jazzzytina
01-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Sending prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery for your Ebbs

Ebbs, get well soon! We love you!!!!

ChrisH
01-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Thank you. All your prayers, good thoughts and wishes are working so far. The vet just called and I am SO pleased to tell you that the surgery went fine and she is just waking up. :) All being well I will be picking her up around 4.30pm (UK time). :)

She has had around 4 inches of tail removed and, of course, will have to wear a cone until at least a week Friday when the stitches will be removed.

Thanks again. :)

QueenScoopalot
01-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Poor Ebby! Sending healing purrayers that your tail's on the mend fast. ;)

Killearn Kitties
01-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Lots of healing vibes being sent beautiful Ebby's way!! I hope that when she comes out she will leave that tail alone!!

The girls send headbumpies to their friend Ebby!

Logan
01-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Oh, Chris, I must apologize for not doing a better job at keeping up with Ebby. :o I am delighted to know that her surgery went well. Keep us posted, and we will definitely be remembering Ebby (and you) in our many, many Pet Talk prayers.

Logan

catnapper
01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Good Luck Ebbie! Please let this heal your poor little tail!

sasvermont
01-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Oh my. That was fast. It sounds as though it was meant to be....that she needed to rid herself and you of that nasty itch....and infection. Aren't cats something?

Keep us posted Chris. Surely hope you get a good night's sleep soon.

Sas and her brats!

catmandu
01-11-2005, 08:27 AM
And AGiant Found Cat Prayer,for thier Pal Ebby,that she can soon hold her tail ,High!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Oh no! I know you were hoping to avoid this, but I guess it's all over and done with now, before I even got a chance to see and send prayers for sweet Ebby.

I'm so glad to hear everything went well and she's on her way to recovery. Hopefully this will solve the problem for good so she can be rid of that durn cone already. ;)

smokey the elder
01-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Poor Ebby! Hopefully that nasty spot on her tail was in the part that was removed.

catlover4ever
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm glad to hear that all went well for Ebby. I hope her recovery goes well too.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Thinking of you and Ebby!!

lynnestankard
01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Oh poor Ebby - what a rotten thing for you.

I hope by now (4.57pm) you're Meowmie has called for you and your back home - safe and sound - and gently recovering.

Keeping you in my thoughts and purrs

Love Bagel xxxxx

PS. AND Ketchum and Dan xxxx

jazzcat
01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh poor Ebby.

I'm glad you got through the surgery fine and will be going home soon.

Prayers for a quick recovery for you sweetie.

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Poor Ebby! Hope she feels better real soon!! (Connor says that she is now part of the very exclusive tail-less cats club, to which only VERY special cats belong ;)

(((HUGS)))

Prairie Purrs
01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Get well quick, Ebby girl! Cricket says to tell you that tails are just a nuisance anyway. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Thoughts to you sweet Ebby! I hope BOB cn be a good nurse to you!!!

Cataholic
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Oh, Ebby, please have a speedy recovery. Tiny little pets for you at this delicate time. I will save the real scritchies til your strength is up.;)

Kirsten
01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Poor Ebby, that's just awful, I'm so sorry! :(

But it sounds like good news that you're doing well after the surgery. A speedy recovery to you!!

Kirsten

AmberLee
01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Whew. Little tender huggies accompany these healthy vibes: ~~~

Purrs and headbumpies from Cassy and Livvy

K & L
01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Sure glad to hear all went well!

RICHARD
01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
EBBY,

Best wishes from the Edster and dad.

We have followed your story and hope that you can get back to being well again and can ditch the satellite dish.

Prayers needed, prayers sent!

LoudLou
01-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey, Ebbs!

We hope you have a speedy recovery! Drink plenty of Catnip Tea and get lots of Love.

rg_girlca
01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that Ebby's surgery went well.

Prayers on the way that you have a speedy recovery and will be out of that nasty cone soon.

popcornbird
01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Get well soon Ebby!

jenluckenbach
01-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Ebby, my dear, you should be just fine.

Many years ago my cat named Amanda managed to get a bad injury to the tip of her tail and we went through this WHOLE thing (I didn't mention it, because I didn't want to scare you) but she would NOT leave her tail alone and could get to it even with the E-collar. She had to be re-stitched 3 times before I said to just amputate it so she can't reach it! The left a 2 inch stump and she wore that darned E-collar for literaly MONTHS until I was certain she would not damage that tail again. She lived quite happily as little stumpy tail after that.

So now be good Ebby, no more problems for you.....OK??

lovemyshiba
01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear Ebby made it through surgery successfully.
Hopefully she's home with you now, and is being spoiled and treated like the princess she is;)

anna_66
01-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Chris, I'm sorry to say I don't know exactly why Ebby had to have the surgery, but I am glad to hear that she is doing fine:D

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Kisses for litte Ebby....

I hope she has a super quick recovery!!!!:)

ChrisH
01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Aw, thank you all so very much for your prayers, good wishes and concern. You all are the only ones who understand and it is so comforting, helps the aloneness that surrounds when things like this happen.

I am very tired so I won't go into the full story. Ebbs is home but it's still very stressful here. Despite what the vet said about measuring and being certain Ebbs couldn't reach the wound, she can despite now wearing a 12.5cm cone. She started at it as soon as I let her out of the carrier and I had to stay with her for a while, then go up and downstairs most of the evening to make sure she is ok. Not much sleep for me tonight I guess. :)

BTW, she really doesn't want to be downstairs, which in a way I'm glad about. Bob is really puzzled by the cone and wants to investigate and Ebby doesn't want him to. There could be all kinds of chaos if I left him loose and it seems most unfair to lock him in his crate as, just lately, he is locked in there all night because I need to keep Ebby and he separate while I'm sleeping.

Thanks again. :)
Chris
P.s. the attached picture was taken not long after I got home with her. (The two cones were a sort of emergency measure)

ChrisH
01-11-2005, 06:13 PM
This picture was taken a little later.

Prairie Purrs
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, poor girl--she's just glaring at that tail tip in the first picture. I don't know why it's so hard to get them to leave a tail injury alone. But if she just licks and doesn't bite, I would think it'll heal up OK.

rosethecopycat
01-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Hoping that Ebby will Get Well Soon now.

I've been following her story from the beginning and just recently my MIL's calico, the one I posted pictures of after she was in a fight and had eye surgery, is doing the SAME thing to her tail.
Vet put Violet on Metacam and wrapped it real well, we will soon be reaching the 'docking' event, if she doesn't let it heal.
I can't believe the coincidence.

CalliesMom
01-11-2005, 08:05 PM
That second pic of Ebby OUCH! Poor girl but best wishes being sent your way.

shais_mom
01-11-2005, 11:50 PM
poor beautiful Ebby!!!
I hope she is doing ok now!

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Chris, I'm sorry that Ebby had to have part of her tail removed :( but I'm glad that the surgery went well.:) Now hopefully she'll be able to keep her e-collar on and let her tail heal. Please get well soon Ebby.:)

Poo
01-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Poor little Ebby! Glad to hear shes on the mend. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

slick
01-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Oh Baby Ebby......please leave your tail alone and give it time to heal. Pretty soon it will feel good and you won't have to go biting it again.

Glad to hear the sir jury went well Chris and thanks for the email and pictures.

{{{HUGS}}}
slick
xo

sasvermont
01-12-2005, 07:16 AM
I know that lots of folks here don't agree with sedating a pet, and maybe you are one of them, but a little behavior modification via drug therapy may just get her out of the frantic habit of knoshing on her tail. Amitripline (sp) can be applied to the ear and it really relaxes the animal, quickly and effectively. I suspect a short term dose may be in order. I think, although I am not sure, but I think Mr. Magoo was on a mood altering drug for a short period of time.

Good luck Chris and "could you find a bigger cone?"..... my gosh Ebby, what is it going to take? Maybe you should put the cone on the other end of her!:D

Barbara
01-12-2005, 07:38 AM
I hope so much Ebby can leave her tail alone. Poor girl! And poor you. The irrationality of our pets can drive us insane at times (that's what I think every morning while Tigris has to get his medication:( ) {{{hugs}}}

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
...my gosh Ebby, what is it going to take? Maybe you should put the cone on the other end of her!:D

I was thinking the same thing! But it appears even this one is not big enough. Poor Ebbs, she's probably so confused as to why all this is happening. Sorry it's all so stressful on you Chris, and Bob too, but hopefully her tail will heal up now and this will be the end of it now.

I'm with SAS on the relaxing medication. If it's only for a short time to let the tail heal, where's the harm?

{{{hugs}}} to you Chris, and gentle skritchies to Ebby.

lizbud
01-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Chris,

I was wondering how Ebby is doing ? I feel so bad for her
and for you & Bob as well.:( I do hope Ebby heals quickly and
everything gets back to normal soon. Sending calming, healing
thoughts your way.:)

Logan
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I know that lots of folks here don't agree with sedating a pet, and maybe you are one of them, but a little behavior modification via drug therapy may just get her out of the frantic habit of knoshing on her tail. Amitripline (sp) can be applied to the ear and it really relaxes the animal, quickly and effectively. I suspect a short term dose may be in order. I think, although I am not sure, but I think Mr. Magoo was on a mood altering drug for a short period of time.

Good luck Chris and "could you find a bigger cone?"..... my gosh Ebby, what is it going to take? Maybe you should put the cone on the other end of her!:D

I totally agree with you SallyAnne. When Murphy (Lab) had her major ear surgery last year, the vet and I determined that it was for her safety and for healing that we try to sedate her as much as possible. Unfortunately, Murphy is not easily sedated. :rolleyes: Chris, I would ask. It would be worth it to me, to have her calm for several days, to allow for healing.

Bless you! I hope things will get better soon.

Logan

Ally Cat's Mommy
01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Hope Ebby is coping OK with her Collar.

When my dog, Spike, pulled open his stitches after a car accident, our vet gave me a HORRIBLE stuff to apply to the dressing, to stop him biting it. I know there are commercial products available (I THINK one is a bitter apple flavour), which might help. Also when Ally was spayed she was pulling her stitches and I called my vet in South Africa and he said I could apply Vicks Vapour Rub AROUND the wound (NOT on it - but I suppose you could apply on the dressing) as apparently it prevents most cats from chewing the dressing)

Hope you get sorted!!

(((HUGS)))

Julie

ramanth
01-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Poor Ebby! I'm so glad the surgery went well and I hope she recouperates quickly.

Reebok can totally sympathize. He tried zipping out as a door was shutting and got the last bit of tail caught. :eek: :(

We got him to the vet and he lost a inch of his tail. If you look closely at it you can see it's blunt and not rounded at the tip.

ChrisH
01-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone, for the good thoughts, prayers, ideas and also the relating of similar experiences.:)

Ebby is still wearing her cone and the stitches are still intact, as of around 15 minutes ago anyway. I may be being unduly cautious but remembering this time last week and the then dressing being intact and staying that way until Sat night, I am taking things, not day by day, but hour by hour.

She is such a sneaky girl you see. The pattern so far is that she is nothing but innocence and calm until she is on her own, or during the night while I sleep ... take that back somewhat, she has got to the stitches while I've been around a couple of times. The cheekiest was this morning just after I helped her to the top of the cat tree! But if I say no in a loud voice, after glaring at me, she will stop.

Thanks to SAS, and all who agree with her, for the suggestion of asking for calming meds. I am almost sure the vet will not go with that else she would have suggested something similar when I called after bringing Ebbs home from surgery. Her bottom line was the cone should stop Ebbs, if not to make it bigger by taping card to the end, good idea maybe but ... Anyway, I will see how things go, if need be I will give it a try (asking about the meds).

Ebby has to have two antibiotic pills a day, one morning, one evening. I have been giving her the morning one by mouth and the evening one in her food. All was well until this evening when she threw up after eating. My fault because she ate the laced portion of chicken, then I gave her some more and she gulped it down too quick.

Once again, thanks everyone. :)
Chris

This picture was taken this morning just after I helped her onto the cat tree. I stayed with her for a little while and she so enjoyed watching the blackbirds. :)

ChrisH
01-13-2005, 05:59 PM
And here she is earlier this evening. See what I mean about looking all innocence? :D

catnapper
01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Oh that picture of her on the cat tree is too much! Poor little girl! I hope she stays away from her boo-boo tail and lets it heal properly.

AmberLee
01-13-2005, 10:52 PM
I guess I have an evil streak, I laughed aloud at the lovely Ebbs looking at the blackbirds. For some reason all I could think of is the 'living' Pixar light and it's antics...

{{{hugs to you and the oh so demur :rolleyes: patient!}}}

Killearn Kitties
01-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Aww, poor Ebby, that cone is HUGE! Poor you too. It's a bit stressful keeping an eye on a sneaky cat!

Lots of healing hugs to Ebby. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Hugs to you, dearest Ebby!!!

Vio&Juni
01-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Poor Ebbs! I didn't know she had the surgery. That cone is HUGE! I hope she gets better sooner.

Barbara
01-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Cats being sneaky- yes, yes, yes.

And every morning in the last ten days I was worried whether Tigris would throw up- he often gulps his food down too quickly.

Ebby, please be a good girl - you will be more relaxed and so will your mom;)

Cataholic
01-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Ebbs- :eek: :eek: :eek: that cone is the worst!

Get better fast.

anna_66
01-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Oh Ebby that cone looks annoying (and I'm sure it is!). I hope it will be able to come off soon!

kimlovescats
01-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Awww, poor Ebby having to wear that big old cone. :(
I'm so glad that her surgery went well, now be a good girl and just let it stay on a few more days ... we all love you here!;)

rosethecopycat
01-14-2005, 08:58 AM
My MIL's calico is in a cone, for what appears to be the same condition.
She is on the drug METACAM.

As for cone size goes, my poor foster, Malfi, had a size 15. He couldn't support his head enough to walk. With a broken rear leg, he was top heavy, and just tipped over with it.

Please give poor Ebby and kiss and tell her to: hang in there, girly.

ramanth
01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Of course she's innocent! ;) :D

slick
01-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Ebby: I do hope you are leaving your tail alone now and letting it heal. I know your Meowmie is busy but maybe you could ask her to please post some more pictures of that purrrutiful facie. Smoochies to you sweetie.

catmandu
01-16-2005, 12:08 PM
The Found Cats,know,that you are curious,about your tail,but you have,to leave,it alone,so that it heals!

ChrisH
01-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone. All I've got to say is that it has been 5 long days - feels like some of the longest of my life - and there is 5 more to go.

As to how Ebbs is, well, she is doing better than I! Seriously, with fingers and toes crossed, (makes it difficult to type :) ) I'd say she is doing ok.

slick, I've attached a picture that was taken this afternoon. Poor girl you can see how stressed out she is. Not!

Chris

GraciesMommy
01-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Glad it all went well!

ChrisH
01-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I've decided I am not going to post any more updates, at least for a while. Why not? Well, just after I posted last I heard her messing about upstairs and when I went up to check what she doing she had been trying to get at her tail again. It seems that every time I have posted anything remotely positive she starts proving me wrong. In my head I know it's just coincidence, but still ....

Chris

jenluckenbach
01-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Ebby! Don't make me have to come over there and scold you.....shakes finger....Now you be a good girl!

sasvermont
01-16-2005, 08:34 PM
What a bad little black kitty. I cannot believe she is still trying to get to her tail. She is going to be sorry if she has to go back and have the balance of that little tail, made even shorter!

Poor Chris.

I don't expect to see another post for awhile. We shall assume that if there is no posting, things are running smoothly.

The "net" is very slow tonight. It is taking me forever to type this.

Good luck Chris.

You and Ebby and Bob are in our thoughts.

Love and support,
SAS and her brats!

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Please be a good kitty Ebby and stay away from your tail. I hope all will go well. Take care Chris.:)

lynnestankard
01-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Still hoping no news is good news Chris - hopefully Ebbs has got bored with her tail - fingers crossed here that she has xxx

Lynne

NoahsMommy
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Oh Ebby!! You've got to leave that tail alone, honey.

Hugs,
Kelly :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
You silly kitty!!

You better behave and let your tail get better...

sending some get well *kisses* for you sweet Ebby girl!:)

ChrisH
01-17-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't expect to see another post for awhile. We shall assume that if there is no posting, things are running smoothly.

Good luck Chris.
Yes, I think so, :) although I just have to post today's picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Ebby%20Girl%202/pbpt.jpg

Thanks, sas and everyone. :)

Chris

p.s. I have now uploaded all the 'Poor Ebbs' pictures to the Imagestation album. If anyone would like to take a look here is the link ..
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2133600297
... be warned though a lot of the pictures are very similar, that's why the link is to the index. :)

Prairie Purrs
01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Awwww, you pretty green-eyed girl! :D Just hang in there for a few more days and let that tail get better!

Cataholic
01-17-2005, 03:14 PM
That is a sweet picture of Ebby! Looking all conie and sad.

dukedogsmom
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I haven't gotten to read the thread but I'm hoping Ebbs is ok now. I'm assuming things went smoothly. I'm sure he doesn't like wearing that horrible collar. He's got beautiful eyes. Give him a hug from me.