PDA

View Full Version : traveling internationally w/ cats?

miese Katze
01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Hello,

There is a chance that toward the end of the year I'll be moving to Germany from Oregon. I've been reading up on traveling with cats, but there isn't much on international travel. Does anybody have any experience with doing this, or know of a good site that could help me?

catmandu
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I would invest,in a very good carrier,a solidly built one,as you never know,what might fall,on it,during the flight.

Barbara
01-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Jenluckenbach has sent Annie to the UK, Soledad came over to the US from NZ with her cat - you might PM her as I have not seen her much online.

smokey the elder
01-11-2005, 02:06 PM
A lady adopted a kitten from me in 2003, and needed to move to Lebanon last fall. Air France and (I think) KLM were very friendly. The best bet is to call the carrier and negotiate what you want to do. They often handle international animal transports on a case-by-case basis.

You will need to check the destination country's rules on vaccination, bill of health, and quarantine policies. I think that this can be done through the American embassy.

Good luck!

Barbara
01-11-2005, 02:18 PM
There is a new European Pet Passport that requires that the pet be microchipped.

PayItForward
01-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by miese Katze
Hello,

There is a chance that toward the end of the year I'll be moving to Germany from Oregon. I've been reading up on traveling with cats, but there isn't much on international travel. Does anybody have any experience with doing this, or know of a good site that could help me?
I received Annie from USA to England. ;)

This is information to get your cat from USA to UK under Defra PETS Scheme rules..
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/

Here is a useful site about travelling with cats.
http://www.ramblincat.com/europe.html#Continue

Good Luck

miese Katze
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Thank you everybody for your input! I wanted to get an early start on planning things so that the trip goes as smooth as possible, thanks for the help!