PDA

View Full Version : Grammer/Writing Style Help (Writing my mom's response to her "terrorist" invest.)

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Real quickly. I'm typing my mom's response for her "terrorist" investigation and I have a question.

When referring to a position within the company, you capitalize the first letters of the title. ie: Team Manager, Senior Claim Representative, etc.

But, would one do that outside company communication? It seems like I would, just to make it stand out as a title/position, but I forget what is proper.

Any ideas?

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Another question...

Hurricane Ivan

or

hurricane Ivan

???

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Typically in the middle of a sentence, if you are using a job title after a name, it is not capitalized. For example, "George Washington was the president of the United States." or "He is the chief executive officer of Google." But, if you use the title directly before the name, it is capitalized. For example, "She waved to President Washington."

When you address the envelope or write the names at the top of a business letter, the job title is capitalized because it isn't a part of a sentence.

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Another question...

Hurricane Ivan

or

hurricane Ivan

???

"Hurricane Ivan" but "the hurricane of 2004"

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
That's true! Good point. Thanks!!

One thing... ;) When talking about the President of the United States, its ALWAYS a capital "P". ;)

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
That's true! Good point. Thanks!!

One thing... ;) When talking about the President of the United States, its ALWAYS a capital "P". ;)

Ug. ;)

Good luck to your mom!

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 09:05 PM
:) Thank you!!

I'm a grammar snob (and JUST noticed I spelled that wrong in my thread title! NICE! :o :o ) so I have to have it right, especially for my mom.

;)

Kona & Oreo's mom
01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
If you find this stuff interesting, I would recommend getting The Chicago Manual of Style. The 15th edition came out very recently, and the update was well done.

(For work I have to explain that "president of the U.S.A." is not always capitalized so often that I have it memorized that this rule is on page 318. That's pretty nerdy, isn't it? :) )

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 10:17 PM
OK..do you italicize names of restaurants or rental car companies??

Karen
01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
No. Italics are mainly used to indicate printed material. So "Romeo and Juliet" when refering to the movie would be in quotes, but the printed play would be Romeo and Juliet. I have never seen restaurant or company names italicized for their own sake.

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Great! Thanks!

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
As I went through the screening area, I didn’t see anything posted about matches and honestly didn’t think I had anything in my possession that would be a problem.

or

As I went through the screening area, I didn’t see anything posted about matches and honestly didn’t think I had anything in my possession that would be a problem.