PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed re: vicious dogs

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi to all my dog friends. :) You know I don't venture to this side very often, but there is a critical situation in Glendale, AZ that we cat (and chicken) people need help with.

Here is a post by K & L
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68392

For those who don't know, Lisa (L) and Kevin(K) her husband tend to a feral group that resides in a park in Glendale, AZ. They spend countless hours of their time, not to mention thousands of dollars of their own money, to take care of these cats. For the most part, the cats are TNR'd, which means trapped, neutered and returned(released) back to the park. Those that they feel can be tamed are taken into their own home where they work with the cat until it's ready to be adopted. They have made some tremendous progress to the point where one year there were NO kittens born to the group!

Anyway, the problem is there are some vicious dogs that live nearby that are contiually getting loose. Their "kill count" is now up to 30 chickens and 5-6 cats! The owners are fined each time the dogs get loose because there is a leash law in the city. Last time (just last week) the dogs were removed by animal control, but evidently they were returned because they have struck again!

We need advice as to how we can stop these dogs. The owners obviously don't care about the havock their dogs are wreaking on the park's feral cat population and chicken population. Does anyone have any contacts with any dog rescues in the area that might be able to help? What else can we do?

Lisa said she is going to contact animal control herself, and the media, to see if they can get some help with this problem. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Glacier
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
I replied on the cat side. I hope a solution is found soon--for both the cats and the dogs!

KYS
01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
That is so sad.
Sound like a good start by
talking to the Media and Animal controll.
Sad situation for the dogs too and what might
happen to them.
The best thing for everyone is to get the dogs
new responsible and caring owners.