PDA

View Full Version : We've Had It!!

K & L
01-10-2005, 07:25 AM
What can we do? I just received another note from the park and the dogs are at it again! They killed Java! I can't quit crying over this. I'm calling the police, I'm calling animal control, I'm calling the news media. What if it's a child next? Here's the note and a picture of our precious Java (who they call Wookie).

The same dogs got loose again. The total is now 30 chickens (including Patty our little featherless chicken at the Fruit Shed) and 7 or 8 cats. I have not seen Wookie (that's what I call him anyway) the big fluffy siamese persian looking kitty who lives in the Mill & Granary. The parks guy said there was a white one up by the Main House, a dusty one in the barnyard and one of the white and black spotted ones from the Mainentance yard. They have cited the owner twice now, but the city isn't really moving on it, so the rangers are issuing a vicious dog citation in hopes of getting the dogs taken care of somehow. What makes me angry is that if it was peacocks getting killed, the city would be all over it, but "it's just chickens and cats" it the basic attitude we get from the higher ups. Let me know if you see Wookie. I sure like him. I will let you know if anything happens with the dogs. Thanks for caring for the critters!

Java - RIP precious one!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p47789a9d34eee9ebaff15ab0ad932a42/fa5c36fd.jpg

Uniqueviking
01-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Oh no. How very, very sad :(

What a beautiful cat Java was. What a horrible way to leave this Earth. RIP :(

I'm calling the police, I'm calling animal control, I'm calling the news media. What if it's a child next?

Good idea.

K & L
01-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes, I feel sick, depressed, and just want to cry. I can hardle concentrate here at work. It just IRRITATES me to no end that they can continue to be irresponsible with nothing being done. These dogs are killing!

catnapper
01-10-2005, 07:42 AM
How terrible!

I'd be livid! A peacock's life is more valuable than the chickens or cats? Please let us know what happens from calling the police and media!

mina'smomma
01-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Ok that is it. Tell me where this park is. If it is anywhere I have family I'll get them there to make those dogs "disappear". I just really hate stupid owners and ignorant politicans.:mad: :mad: I'm sorry you are going through all this dear. I just hope the next time they don't hurt a child or someone else.

K & L
01-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Glendale, AZ.. Should I start some type of petition or something?

CalliesMom
01-10-2005, 08:02 AM
This makes me sick! :( :(

mina'smomma
01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by K & L
Glendale, AZ.. Should I start some type of petition or something?

I would say so. Sorry hun the closest I can come is a cousin who is stationed on Camp Pendleton in CA. Otherwise he would come sit out there with a tranquilizer gun and remove the dogs himself. He is an advid animal lover too.

K & L
01-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm calling the News Media! I'm sure Animal Control does not want any "bad" publicity. I can barely concentrate today. I have all kinds of e-mails out to individuals in the animal business. I will keep everyone posted. My poor precious ferals are being mauled to death.:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mina'smomma
01-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Definately call the media. This is horrible. Let us know how it goes. Your little angels are in our prayers.

catmandu
01-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Condolences,on the loss of Java,and I hope,that those Dogs are impounded,soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Lisa, yes, contact animal control, the media and whoever else you think can help! If you have email addresses or anyone that we can write to also, please let us know. I'm busy at work today also, but I'll see if I can do some research as to who we can contact to help. This is outrageous and those dogs NEVER should have been returned....again!

RIP sweet Java. Your death will not be in vain!

ramanth
01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
So heartbreaking. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Lisa, I cross posted this to Dog General. Maybe someone there has some ideas that will help.

Barbara
01-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't know what to say! How stupid are your city people. Dogs who kill don't ask about the species. Next time it can be a dog on the leash or a child.

RIP Java. May your death not have been in vain.

K & L
01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Lisa, I cross posted this to Dog General. Maybe someone there has some ideas that will help.

Thanks Debbie
Kevin's contacting the Police and I'm going to contact the local news stations. What are they waiting for, it to happen to a child before anything is done? These owners are irresponsible and these dogs should be put in homes where they're taken care of properly!

wolflady
01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Lisa, yes, contact animal control, the media and whoever else you think can help! If you have email addresses or anyone that we can write to also, please let us know. I'm busy at work today also, but I'll see if I can do some research as to who we can contact to help. This is outrageous and those dogs NEVER should have been returned....again!

RIP sweet Java. Your death will not be in vain!

I completely agree!! I just can't believe the dogs were returned. Who are these worthless people?? I'm following these threads and it's just making me so angry that stuff like this is basically "allowed" to happen. These so called owners don't seem to care...so why should they have dogs in the first place? Are they not feeding these dogs? It just seems strange to me that they have killed so many animals...and have gotten away with it. Do you have local animal shelters and other animal related organizations that could help back you up in terms of filing complaints and contacting the media?
Hmmm...is there someone who could "kidnap" these dogs and take them far far away from these stupid owners??...
:(

RIP sweet Java, you were a beautiful kitty...:(

luvofallhorses
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
:( :( :( poor precious Java people are so stupid sometimes especially in this situation! :mad: Rip sweetie

K & L
01-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I've just contacted (through e-mail) the Mayor, Vice Mayor, and head of Parks & Recreation! I will see if I get any response.

As far as are they not feeding, I don't believe it's a hunger issue because they're just mauling and not eating. They're killing for the sport of it!

rg_girlca
01-10-2005, 11:13 AM
OMG Lisa, I can't believe this is still going on. Poor, poor sweet babies. This is so heartbreaking.

I pray that something is done immediately, so no other animal is killed.

(((((HUGS))))) to you Lisa, as I know this must be so devastating to you. I am crying with you.

Glacier
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
They aren't killing for sport, they are killing because they are dogs and they are allowed to. What breed are these dogs? Many breeds have a very strong prey drive and any thing smaller then them is prey. Huskies are often like that. My dogs are living proof that in the right home, cats and high prey drive dogs can peacefully co-exsist. These dogs are not at fault, they are just being dogs--Their owners are clearly idiots who don't deserve to have dogs(or any other living being) !! :mad: In the right home, with the right set-up, this behavior could be controlled and these dogs could be lovely companions. (I'm assuming there aren't other issues with them!)

The dogs need to be removed from the area asap before they cause anymore heartache and death. What is happening to your ferals is truly tragic!

Call everyone you can think of--go above your local government level if you have to...Call your state representative. Call every radio station, newspaper, ect. Got any local internet boards? Post on them! Call every law enforcement agency you have locally.

Call Best Friends. They have a great information network and might be able to offer some suggestions.

Be very careful if you find a way to have the dogs disappear--it will be pretty obvious who did it and you don't want to cause even more problems for your ferals or yourselves!

Has anyone talked to the owners? Maybe they would surrender the dogs to a rescue? Are there children in the home? If there are, call child protection services. (that can be done anonymously--i used to be a child protection worker)

Good luck. I hope this can be resolved before any more ferals suffer.

K & L
01-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
They aren't killing for sport, they are killing because they are dogs and they are allowed to. What breed are these dogs? Many breeds have a very strong prey drive and any thing smaller then them is prey. Huskies are often like that. My dogs are living proof that in the right home, cats and high prey drive dogs can peacefully co-exsist. These dogs are not at fault, they are just being dogs--Their owners are clearly idiots who don't deserve to have dogs(or any other living being) !! :mad: In the right home, with the right set-up, this behavior could be controlled and these dogs could be lovely companions. (I'm assuming there aren't other issues with them!)

The dogs need to be removed from the area asap before they cause anymore heartache and death. What is happening to your ferals is truly tragic!

Call everyone you can think of--go above your local government level if you have to...Call your state representative. Call every radio station, newspaper, ect. Got any local internet boards? Post on them! Call every law enforcement agency you have locally.

Call Best Friends. They have a great information network and might be able to offer some suggestions.

Be very careful if you find a way to have the dogs disappear--it will be pretty obvious who did it and you don't want to cause even more problems for your ferals or yourselves!

Has anyone talked to the owners? Maybe they would surrender the dogs to a rescue? Are there children in the home? If there are, call child protection services. (that can be done anonymously--i used to be a child protection worker)

Good luck. I hope this can be resolved before any more ferals suffer.

Believe me, I'm not blaming the dogs..it's the owners!!:mad: Yes, the owners have been cited and fined, but it still continues. I just got an e-mail back from the Vice-Mayor who is going to look into this situation. We're contacting the News Media right now! I will NOT stop until this is taken care of.

moosmom
01-10-2005, 11:42 AM
K&L,

Call the media. Newspapers, tv stations, whatever it takes. The city HATES negative publicity. I'm so sorry to hear about Java. He was such a beautiful cat!

Please DO NOT stop until this is dealt with!!

((((hugs))))
Donna

Catsnclay
01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Lisa-

Doesn't Sheriff Joe have some sort of Animal thing going on at his jail? I'm sure his office might be interested in this activity.

If I were you & Kevin I would contact every and any one that has to do with animals in both Phoenix & Glendale.

Good luck....will be watching the news about you tonight!

RIP Java and the rest. :(

Uabassoon
01-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this horrible news :( My heart goes out to you.

K & L
01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
Lisa-

Doesn't Sheriff Joe have some sort of Animal thing going on at his jail? I'm sure his office might be interested in this activity.

If I were you & Kevin I would contact every and any one that has to do with animals in both Phoenix & Glendale.

Good luck....will be watching the news about you tonight!

RIP Java and the rest. :(

I've looked up a way to contact Sheriff Joe, but there's no way to e-mail him. We've contacted channels 3, 5, & 12.

CalliesMom
01-10-2005, 02:02 PM
If these cats had been someone's pets, you know those dogs would not have been returned. This is absolutely ridiculous and those people deserve jail time for 1) not controlling their dogs 2) letting this happen IN THE FIRST PLACE. We're talking about the killing of innocent animals and more needs to be done to protect their lives. ARGH!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Legislation for things like this needs to be stricter. Abusing animals should no longer be a misdemeanor--it should be a felony.

K & L
01-10-2005, 02:12 PM
The Vice-Mayor and one of the News Stations contacted us. We'll see what happens!!!!

I feel bad for the dogs and don't want any harm to come to them, but I want them controlled and OUT OF THE PARK!!

I guess when the owners were confronted the owner insisted they had not been outside. According to one official report, because the owner was becoming agitated, the police told the park rangers (and animal control) to leave. Nothing was done by the authorities to prevent the dogs from again wandering back over to the park. According to park rangers, the matter must go to the courts before anything meaningful can be done to actively prevent the dogs from roaming.

We're going to make this happen sooner!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-10-2005, 02:29 PM
All right, Lisa! Way to go to get some attention drawn to this! Sounds like you've got a real good start on it, but don't let up on the others. The more publicity the better.

And awww....the poor owner was becoming agitated....poor dear, how could those mean animal control and park rangers harrass im so.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Give me a break! :rolleyes:

K & L
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
All right, Lisa! Way to go to get some attention drawn to this! Sounds like you've got a real good start on it, but don't let up on the others. The more publicity the better.

And awww....the poor owner was becoming agitated....poor dear, how could those mean animal control and park rangers harrass im so.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Goes to show what kind of owner he really is, doesn't it. Java will NOT die in vain, nor any of the others. I will not let up until these dogs are removed from the owners and no threat to anyone or anything in the park again!

And the worse I haven't told, some of the animals did not die but were mauled and had to be put down. I'm just so sick, so sick.

K9soul
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't really have advice to share but it looks like you are already doing a lot and that you have gotten some good suggestions. It is truly a tragic situation for both the cats and the dogs, the cats for obvious reasons and the dogs because they obviously have owners who don't care about them, I doubt they are vaccinated or loved and sooner or later it will probably end in tragedy for them too unless they are taken away. Truly heartwrenching, RIP sweet Java :(

K & L
01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Two News Stations have contacted us! They're doing research and will go from there.

Catsnclay
01-10-2005, 05:46 PM
When the park rangers get the dogs, do they return them to the owners? Or are they picked up by the pound? I think if they are picked up by the pound they have to pay to get them released. Maybe if they keep getting picked up and brought to "jail" the owners will get tired of paying to get them out and either give them up or keep them inside!

Do you & Kevin know what the dogs look like? If so, every time you see them, call Animal Control and have them picked up.

Fight fire with fire..............

NoahsMommy
01-10-2005, 05:55 PM
This is ridiculous!!!! I cannot believe people can be so irresponsible...well, I guess I can, but still! This is horrible!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm glad the local government is getting involved. I'll be hoping and praying something will happen TODAY.

Poor, poor Java and all the others that have been needlessly killed. :( :( :(

K & L
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Well a bit of good news....JAVA LIVES! He showed up this evening so the park had him confused, we believe, with Hemi. That was a bit of relief, but the numbers are significantly down.

K & L
01-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
This is ridiculous!!!! I cannot believe people can be so irresponsible...well, I guess I can, but still! This is horrible!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm glad the local government is getting involved. I'll be hoping and praying something will happen TODAY.

Poor, poor Java and all the others that have been needlessly killed. :( :( :(

It is ridiculous that they're taking so long to do something about it! Neither one of us could even concentrate at work today.

K & L
01-10-2005, 07:05 PM
When the park rangers get the dogs, do they return them to the owners? Or are they picked up by the pound? I think if they are picked up by the pound they have to pay to get them released. Maybe if they keep getting picked up and brought to "jail" the owners will get tired of paying to get them out and either give them up or keep them inside!

Do you & Kevin know what the dogs look like? If so, every time you see them, call Animal Control and have them picked up.

Fight fire with fire..............

We don't know what the dogs look like. The Rangers called Animal Control for them to handle. They followed the dogs home one day and that's how they found out where they lived. We've been getting conflicting stories so not quite sure if the dogs were ever picked up by Animal Control.

Prairie Purrs
01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm glad for handsome Java, but so very sorry about the other cats (and the chickens, too). I hope the TV stations pick up the story and shame animal control into doing something.

Barbara
01-11-2005, 06:55 AM
I am glad that at least Java survived but so sorry for all the others. I was crying for Cheeto having learned how good he was with the chickens. :(

I hope you get through to the public with your message.

catcrazylady
01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Lisa this whole story had broken my heart.:( I have shed tears for the dogs, the poor poor kitties and chickens that have had thier lives ended in such a horrible and tragic way, and for you and Kevin who have worked so hard to make life better for the park kitties.
I apologize for not responding sooner but our home phone line is down and won't be repaired until maybe Wednesday and I can't get on much at work anymore. Please know that I'm lurking and keeping up with the whole tragic mess.
You keep complaining to anyone and everyone and if you need us to email anybody and help you stir up some stink you let us know. We are with you all the way!
God Bless you, Kevin, and all the animals involved in this.

K & L
01-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Here's the response I received from the Vice-Mayor:

Dear Ms. Doyle,
Thank you for sending this additional information.
Thanks to you, we have found the police reports a Lt. is proceeding with the investigation.
I was told that the unleashed dogs were observed and followed to a house in the area.
I don't know who made that report. Perhaps a good citizen like yourself.
In any case, we are not going to let this illegal behavior to continue.
As you know, we have very strict leash laws in Glendale and for good reason
Again, thank you for calling attention to this problem.

Tom Eggleston

This whole situation is sad all the way around. I hope the dogs can be put in a home where they are taken care of responsibly, and the park can return to normal. We do have 2 News Stations working on this story also.

kimlovescats
01-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Lisa, this whole situation is absolutely outrageous!!! :mad:
You are doing a wonderful job of getting the press involved, and I have no doubt that this action on your part, will finally get this situation under control. I just hope it is before anymore senseless slaughter of animals happens!:(

Stay strong, friend!

(((HUGS)))
Kim

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Lisa, this whole situation is absolutely outrageous!!! :mad:
You are doing a wonderful job of getting the press involved, and I have no doubt that this action on your part, will finally get this situation under control. I just hope it is before anymore senseless slaughter of animals happens!:(

Stay strong, friend!

(((HUGS)))
Kim

Ditto!

lynnestankard
01-11-2005, 11:23 AM
It's just too sad Lisa - and such a waste. But bless you for doing all this work trying to pretect them all.

RIP dear furry xxx

Lynne

K & L
01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I will NOT let this rest until it is taken care of. I replied stating to let me know when all is resolved so I know not to continue pursuing this situation! They were also told the News Media is on it! They won't like that!!

RIP precious animals.......

K & L
01-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Another note today from one of the park officials:

Lisa,
Glendale Police Department is working on the problem. They are working with the city prosecutor to have the dogs declared vicious. After your emails and call to Channel 5 more action was stimulated, now we are in a wait and see mode today. I am waiting for a call from the Crime Prevention Team representative now.

I will up date you as I have information. You should receive a call today explaining what is going on.

YIPPEEE.....we need action!

Catsnclay
01-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh darn...did I miss something on Channel 5?? What time did they air your story? We watched the 10 pm news and didn't see anything.

Good news on getting the Mayor's office in on this. For once a politician that sounds like he is really interested in something! Hooray!!

K & L
01-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh darn...did I miss something on Channel 5?? What time did they air your story? We watched the 10 pm news and didn't see anything.

Good news on getting the Mayor's office in on this. For once a politician that sounds like he is really interested in something! Hooray!!

I don't think the story aired yet. I believe they were doing "their" research and asking all the questions. I'll let you know if/when it airs.

Yes!! Someone that cared and is actually taking action!

As I said before....these animals will NOT die in vain!

mina'smomma
01-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Keep fighting the battle Lisa. There are hundreds of us backing you up hun.

Catsnclay
01-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh good, I'm glad I didn't miss it. What other stations did you contact?

BTW Lisa, are you sure you have only been feeding the feral's for just 6 years?? It seems like its been much longer than that (Yoshi is 4 years old, and I KNOW you have been doing it longer than just his life plus 2 years)

K & L
01-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh good, I'm glad I didn't miss it. What other stations did you contact?

BTW Lisa, are you sure you have only been feeding the feral's for just 6 years?? It seems like its been much longer than that (Yoshi is 4 years old, and I KNOW you have been doing it longer than just his life plus 2 years)

We contacted 3, 5, and 12. 3 & 5 responded!

You know it could be longer than 6 years. We should've kept better records than we did, but never dreamed it was ever going to turn into what it has! You know normally a ferals life span is 1 to 2 years, look how long ours have lasted!!

Catsnclay
01-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Try channel 10, John Hook (the anchor) is a HUGE cat person. That may or may not help.

K & L
01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Try channel 10, John Hook (the anchor) is a HUGE cat person. That may or may not help.

Thanks, we will!

rg_girlca
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh Lisa, I am so glad to read that the ball is rolling on this.

Like you said, these precious babies will not die in vain.

Rest in Peace little ones and have fun on Rainbow Bridge where you can run free and know no harm.

K & L
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Oh Lisa, I am so glad to read that the ball is rolling on this.

Like you said, these precious babies will not die in vain.

Rest in Peace little ones and have fun on Rainbow Bridge where you can run free and know no harm.

Thank you! I will keep everyone updated on the progress!