PDA

View Full Version : God Parents

Jods
01-09-2005, 08:46 PM
My cousin just called and asked me and my boyfriend to be the godparents to his two sons. Robbie - 3yrs and Brett 6 yrs... I am really honored and in a min I'm going to read all about godparents on the internet. On the 23 we hafta go to the church to get this all done. I haven't told my boyfriend yet hes at work I wonder what he is gonna say... I'm really excited anyways point of this thread does anyone else have God children??:D

kimlovescats
01-09-2005, 09:09 PM
What a wonderful, and beautiful honor. Congratulations!
My parents had godparents picked out for us as well, but thank GOD, we didn't have to "use" them!;)

AmberLee
01-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm Godmother to my older nephew. You might want to touch base with the church the ceremony will be in. My church required a Godparenting class be held before the ceremony.

When my nephew was a tot, I'd send him a 'baptism anniversary' present -- a Bible stories book, one year a Noah's Ark, and be there as a resource for him.

A friend who is many times over a Godmother, has a chart in her bedroom of each Godchild, with birthdates, school status, anniversaries, etc and prays for each child daily. A lovely thought, especially if your memory is as scatty as mine. (I can handle one Godchild, so no chart yet.) ;) :p

It's quite an honor. Congratulations!

pitc9
01-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, my hubby and I are Godparents to my 3 year old niece Samantha, and my 7 1/2 month old nephew Jacob.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-10-2005, 08:21 AM
I am godparent to my niece Nele (23), and my husband to another 2 nieces Sophie(26) and Sarah (22). Although they are all grown up now, they still come on a special visit in January to visit a happy New Year! They always get some money then :)

Killearn Kitties
01-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Yes, I have one godson, who is 15 now. I find that hard to believe because I still remember how my arms ached holding him during his christening. Good grief, but that boy was heavy! (You might want to consider some weight training before the ceremony. ;) )

Oops, sorry, just noticed that the children you are talking about are a little older. Presumably you won't be carrying them then! :D

Hope all goes well.

Tonya
01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
My friend and I were pregnant with the same due dates a few years ago. I lost my baby and she had her son, Sebastian. She was going through some hard times and Sebastian was an unplanned pregnancy, at one point she wanted me to adopt him once he was born. I told her to give parenting a shot but that I would always be his Godparent and I'd be there for her if things didn't work. Luckily, all turned out well. She's beat all of her fears and is a wonderful mommy. She isn't religious though, so the whole Godparent thing didn't involve a church. I just spoil Sebastian to death. :D

PJ's Mom
01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't have any God children, but I do have a God dog. :D

mina'smomma
01-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Jodi that is awesome. I'm so happy for you. I'm the godmother for my friend in New York's son.

Jods
01-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone... I'm really excited and I will definaltly take pics of my to Godsons :D :D

Logan
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't mean to sound stupid about this, but can someone explain what being a "godparent" means. Of course, I have heard of them, but I guess I always assumed that it was assocaited with a particular religious group........never really knew, for sure. Do you assume responsibility for the child if something happens to the parents?

I'm just curious. It sounds like a great honor and privledge to me, for sure. :)

Edwina's Secretary
01-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Well...there you have it Logan! I thought all religions have Godparents. I am Godmother to my niece who will be 23 this month. It is a great honor and also suppose to be responsible to ensure the child receive a religious education.

You bring up an interesting question though...I wonder the origin of the practice?

Logan
01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
There is a lot of information available on the internet. I typed in "origin of godparents" at www.ask.com and boy did I get a lot! I'll have to take the time to read more later. But this site did give some good basic answers about "godparenting":

www.egodparent.com

http://www.egodparent.com/Ivebeenasked.htm

Sara, I grew up in the United Methodist Church and still am active in that church. Although there may be some United Methodists who choose to have godparents for their children, it is not a common practice, at least not that I know of. I learn something new every day! :)

DogLover9501
01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
How exciting, Congratulations!!

I'm a young God Mother, my God Daughter, Tia Elizabeth, was born August 1st 2000, when I was 13, she's 4 now :)

popcornbird
01-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I don't mean to sound stupid about this, but can someone explain what being a "godparent" means. Of course, I have heard of them, but I guess I always assumed that it was assocaited with a particular religious group........never really knew, for sure. Do you assume responsibility for the child if something happens to the parents?

I'm just curious. It sounds like a great honor and privledge to me, for sure. :)

LOL!! Thanks for asking, Logan. I had ALWAYS wondered what being a 'godparent' was all about, but it seemed so common on PT that I never asked. Thought I would sound stupid. :o I'll have to read those links you posted. I don't have a clue to what a godparent is.

petslover
01-10-2005, 05:48 PM
oh wow. That is an honor. Congrats!