PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disc

petslover
01-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I got a question..

I put in a floppy disc yesterday and it worked fine. I saw pictures and all. Well today I put it in and It says Its not formatted right and I need to format it.. What do I do? or is the floppy ruined?

moosmom
01-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Put the disk in. Click into "my computer" then "a: drive" Once in, go up to "edit" and click on "format". This will reformat the disk. You might want to save the pictures onto your desktop then re-save them once the disk is formatted, otherwise you'll lose them.

Paul
01-09-2005, 03:11 PM
   Formatting the floppy will destroy everything on it! Just in case you did not know.

Floppy disks are unreliable compared to all other current means of storage. Dust can easily get inside. If there are images or files on it that you want there are several things you can do:

1) Especially in winter, make sure the disk is at room temperature. A disk that has been very cold may not work.
   2) Try the floppy in another drive (usually on another computer.)
   3) Use a utility to recover the information on it.
   4) Gently tap the floppy to dislodge any dust inside.
   5) Open the sliding door and blow into it.

Once the floppy starts to work immediately copy everything off the disk. Once you are 100% sure you have recovered everything then you could reformat it. Although, I would throw the disk away.

Paul

petslover
01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Thank you so much. I got it to work now. I am about to save everything to my computer. Thank you again.