PDA

View Full Version : leather couch

ashleycat
01-08-2005, 11:53 AM
we just baught a lether couch, ashley is a scratcher. we have a suitcase that she likes to scratch and sometimes it redirects her away from our furniture. do cats like to scratch leather? or do they just like to sit upon it?

christa
01-08-2005, 12:27 PM
We got a leather rocker/recliner for Christmas . . . the cats could care less about it!

I think cats prefer that rough texture rather than the smoothe texture of leather. My cats LOVE to scratch our suitcases too . . . and the couch (which is a canvas type material) and the dining room chair seats . . . :rolleyes: . . . but so far so good . . . I wouldn't worry too much. ;)

Shady
01-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Mine did but not purposely, leaving the couch, one of them always digs her claws in, I have a multitude of short and long scratches on the cushions and the sofa is a grey, almost white leather.

In retrospect, I should have covered the cushions, but what can you do. :)

sirrahbed
01-08-2005, 02:30 PM
We splurged and bought two nice leather recliners right before Christmas. So far, nobody scratched them intentonally, but they do have some punctures and scratches from kitties jumping off. What I am doing is clipping mails more than ever and covering the recliners with throws when we are not using them. One very good thing is that the scratches blend in nicely - giving the leather that "distressed" look:D The punctures tend to seal themselves off instead of getting bigger or tearing the way they would with naugahyde/vinyl. I have read that leather is five times more durable than the best fabric. I wipe the scratches with a damp cloth and they blend in quite nicely. The directions said not to use any leather cream or saddle soap - only soapy water.

catmandu
01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I hope,that your leather couch,will be all right,as leather would attract,a Cast,thatwas once a stray,as it smells like another animal,to them.

jazzcat
01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I would love a leather recliner but I'm not brave enough to try it with 5 fully clawed cats in the house who use the old recliner as a springboard for play.

We've been searching for a new recliner since fall and I finally found the one I want at LazyBoy yesterday, fabric, but now I'm too nervous to put the money into something I know the cats are still going to play jungle gym on. The sale ends tomorrow so I better decided quickly.

CalliesMom
01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
My cats are front declawed :( but we still have issues with puncture marks on the furniture. I'm a poor college student so my furniture isn't all that great anyway, but will probably never buy expensive stuff as I hope to always have cats. My cats are far too destructive for leather. LOL I love my babies!